PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sick joke?

CurryNV
11-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I hunt deer. Or, I've begun to hunt deer. I usually hunt birds and I've gone on the odd bear hunt as well.

This season, I've been hunting deer every weekend. Obsessively. I pack light, I carry one gun. I'm doing everything I should be doing except one thing: Take my first deer.

I'm hunting in region 2 just north of Squamish. Difficult terrain, thick bush, etc... I've heard it all. However, I CONSTANTLY see deer tracks. Not doe, but BUCK. Big ones at that. I'm patient. I'm realistic and I hunt because I love it not because I want a trophy. However, it's getting increasingly hard to feed myself on scenery. I'm not looking for anybodies secret spot nor am I complaining. If anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Marlin375
11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Find a good spot with good deer sign (bedding areas in particular) and some decent sight lines, get there before day break and sit down. Don't mooooove anything but your eyes for an hour, no fidgeting, no digging in your pack, no adjusting your touque....just sit.

They will come.

ruger#1
11-22-2010, 05:23 PM
If you are finding tracks, Then do some rattling with antlers and a few doe bleats. And keep your eyes open. Sometimes you will get a glimps and some times they run towards you. Blacktails are a tough hunt.

Surrey Boy
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
It took me a long time (two seasons and plenty of hiking) before I cut my first tag; I even came home empty from Nelson Island! This isn't easy by any means, which is why it's so rewarding.

Van-Isle
11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Welcome to blacktail hunting haha. On the island I find a lot of the deer move at night and that could be why your seeing tracks but not deer. Are you slow-walking the timber at all? I find more in the timber than in the slashes. And the ones in the slashes are usually in places you cant see from the road, little corners and such. In areas with sign that are too thick to hunt such as chrismas tree patches I usually walk the edge of them a hundred yards or so in to the timber if possible. We have about a foot or two of snow up in the hills right now and a lot of the deer seem to be hanging out in the timber where its not as deep.
Most of all dont sweat not seeing much. Saw one buck last year with enough time to shoot and my buddy got it. I didn't even shoot my gun last year haha.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

greenhorn
11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
No blacktail expert here, but I've a gotten three in three years using advice from buddies

Buddy advice:
1. get into the remote areas, not visible to roads.
2. Gotta be patient, NO.... I mean patient!!
3. Hunt the shittiest weather possible.

I think the weather is a big factor. It might just be my experience, but I'm convinced that Blacktails will stay hidden unless the conditions make them move or spook them.... By far, I see the most deer when the weather is absolute shite!

MichaelB
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Read proguide's thread on book class blacktail. That should give you everything you need to know about getting yourself a bt deer. It is possible that it could take you a few seasons just to find a good spot and maybe a few seasons more to learn EVERYTHING about that spot. Once you do, then you may get 2 deer a season for the rest of your life.

BCLongshot
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
drive, drive, drive, drive around, stop eat,drive, drive around, stop coffee, drive, drive....................

OH ! DEER, drive , drive

YA IT WAS A DEER OKAY

drive, drive around.

go home

now fuel is $ 2.33/litre

pedal, costco, friends with chickens

ha ha

Keep trying

MichaelB
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Oh and yes! Blacktail hunting IS a sick joke! But the reward will outweigh just how sick the hunting can make you.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Terrible conditions......steep rocky thick forrests......fewer deer per square mile that other deer species......

jonz
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I would try a different area. Texada Island has lots of deer for example.

JCVD
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I hunt deer. Or, I've begun to hunt deer. I usually hunt birds and I've gone on the odd bear hunt as well.

This season, I've been hunting deer every weekend. Obsessively. I pack light, I carry one gun. I'm doing everything I should be doing except one thing: Take my first deer.

I'm hunting in region 2 just north of Squamish. Difficult terrain, thick bush, etc... I've heard it all. However, I CONSTANTLY see deer tracks. Not doe, but BUCK. Big ones at that. I'm patient. I'm realistic and I hunt because I love it not because I want a trophy. However, it's getting increasingly hard to feed myself on scenery. I'm not looking for anybodies secret spot nor am I complaining. If anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hunt all day in an area with fresh sign. Every chance you get.

landphil
11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Yup, It's a sick joke, and it's called hunting. I keep falling for it too. When you least expect it, something will happen. Eventually.

west250
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't forget the evening hunt. Still hunt until it's too dark to shoot, sometimes those blacktails don't come out till almost dark. Make a day of it, lots of deer are taken mid day (besides, some of the best naps I've had have been out under a big tree in the bush)... Also, this time of year hunt the big timber, being very mindful of your wind. Try and hike up the logging spurs and down through the timber. Move slowly through the timber, get down and look low - lots of deer spot you before you even see them at that height.... Hunt the areas with promising sign, don't waste your day where there's no sign - no matter how much deer you think it 'should' hold. Patience, and above all enjoy your day, it's no fun putting too much pressure on your hunt!

P.S.: Hunt with a good buddy that likes to share his game, it's more fun that way.

kishman
11-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Give calling a go-rattle, Doe bleats, grunts etc....Won't work every time, but when it does it's really something to see...Good Luck!

kyleklassen
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
1, find first reg 2 5x6 ...............2, shoot it..........................3, post pics and gps co-ords.

CurryNV
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a great spot. Scouted it for a few years. I'm patient. It would seem as though I'm doing everything right. Which is heartening to say the least. And yes, if it was easy, I wouldn't be doing it. I just wanted to know if anybody knew of anything I was doing wrong.

Haven't hunted on the island. I've heard they're about as complacent as farm animals over there and if I wanted to harvest that sort of game, I'd go on a seal cull.