PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 Re-Opening Weekend/Another Rut question....

Cyrus
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Looking to head to 5-2/5-1 area for the last weekend to check a few spots to avoid eating the bitter tag soup this year. Looks like there was lots shot in Region 3 this weekend which has me pumped up top go.....just wondering how things looked up in Region 5 this passed weekend after the deer had a 10 day break from people pointing guns at them?

I know the rut questions are probably getting old but never have hunted this late in the year would it be safe to assume the rut would still be on by next weekend?

If it is over, what type of behaviour changes do Bucks (pref 4 pts) exhibit? Are they still found in groups, by themselves? or are they bedded down in the thick bush recovering from all the fights and midnight frolics with the does?

tomahawk
11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
The rut will still be on although not in its peak, the last week of Nov has provided many big bucks in Region 5 and is my fav week to hunt muley's.

groove
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I was in 5-1 last week working on my place. Saw a lot of deer and a few moose, so hope the hunting is good for the weekend.

cariboobill
11-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Hello from region 5. The temps are real low -27 this am with a wind chill around -35. This weather will continue until Friday and then back to normals, although more snow is expected. Our normals are below zero temps during the day and night, so be prepared if you are hunting and not road hunting.

The rut seems to be stalled or over in some areas. Bucks are around, but not as stupid with love now. Region 5 gets hit harder than most regions, during the rut, so you should find folks driving around looking for animals.

During this cold weather deer head for thermal cover near food sources. doubtful to find them in the open. So hunt the fringes of old growth with disturbed land close by. Good snow now for tracking the big one. Be prepared to handle and process a buck that is rutted out or the meat will be crap.

Local First Nations rub the hind quarters with FIR trees so the sap/smell gets into the hair on the quarters. Then they start to skin the deer out in the snow and to separate the skin from the meat ASAP.

Good luck

cb

Cyrus
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks, never heard of such a thing in dressing out a rutted out buck??? Hoping they will be just stupid enough to stand there until I get the points counted!! No road hunting for me.....

ravensfoot
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks CaribooBill, I'm heading that way this weekend. Good update.
I guess the deer figured with the rut closure in the regs, they should shut down the love juices too, maybe they have a copy of the regs and will see that the closure is now over and get back to it!!!