PDA

View Full Version : Bait Pile vs Feeder??

Ambush
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Lot's of guys posting trail cam pics taken over bait. It's gotten to be almost a sport in it's self. Great to see what's around and watch them grow up.

I've got few questions for you successful master baiters.

I put up an automatic feeder at the beginning of September. I set it to feed just after dark to keep the birds from stealing it all. I was gone most all of September, but the land owner kept it stocked up. I used a blend of oats/barley/corn with molasses. I didn't know it had molasses when I bought it. Problem was I had some bears that hogged the site and kept the deer away. Lots of deer tracks not far away.
I switched to oats in the middle of October, and feed twice a day. I've had a few deer feeding but not consistently. One small bear still hanging around after the snow.

Is a big bait pile better than a timed feeder?

What seems to be the best grain to attract both whitetail and mule deer?

Feed all year, part of the year or just during the season?

How to deal with the bears? {other than the obvious but illegal solution}

Feed under a big tree for cover or will they dig through the snow?

Any other tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

leadpillproductions
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
timmed feeder the way to go
rolled oats for my
they will dig threw the snow
didnt have much trouble with bears

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 01:25 PM
is it not illegal to have bait stations, unless your a trapper, and the bears have gone into hibernation?

troutseeker
11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
it's fine for deer, you just can't hunt bear over bait in BC but if they want to eat your deer feed they can.

coach
11-22-2010, 01:57 PM
is it not illegal to have bait stations, unless your a trapper, and the bears have gone into hibernation?

The post is in reference to setting bait out for deer - totally legal. With regard to bears, some guys have posted about having problems with bears coming in eating the bait destroying their bait stations. You are correct that it is illegal to bait bears in BC.

Sleep Robber
11-22-2010, 02:00 PM

It's legal for deer, and great for trail cam pics. Not too sporty if your sitting nearby ready to bang/flop the poor bugger though. You'll hear guys b!tching about road hunters, but they'll sit and wait like a bloody sniper. Makes ya wanna puke, absolutely no skill needed with the exception of being quiet, nothing but a cheating redneck way to get some game IMO. Meh!!

Sorry for the rant !

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
The post is in reference to setting bait out for deer - totally legal. With regard to bears, some guys have posted about having problems with bears coming in eating the bait destroying their bait stations. You are correct that it is illegal to bait bears in BC.
trappers are advised not to put out bait stations until hibernation of local bear, because they may alter bear behavior by potentially delaying the onset of hibernation, so your saying that hunters are allowed despite what there saying to trappers

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
i never knew you were aloud to bait deer...intersting, sure dont seem very sporting, betcha its good for guiding though.. thanks guys for the info , clarified the regs to me thats for sure. just hope the bears arnet getting left out in the cold.lol

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
next year i will be scouting deer and atvs withs sacks of oats on them, *****.

leadpillproductions
11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
It's legal for deer, and great for trail cam pics. Not too sporty if your sitting nearby ready to bang/flop the poor bugger though. You'll hear guys b!tching about road hunters, but they'll sit and wait like a bloody sniper. Makes ya wanna puke, absolutely no skill needed with the exception of being quiet, nothing but a cheating redneck way to get some game IMO. Meh!!

Sorry for the rant !
Each to there own , A lot tougher than it sounds .legal is legal .

Sleep Robber
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM

Give me a break would ya, ya find where the deer are traveling, dump a pile of goodies on the ground and hide in the bush. :confused: Real tough:-? I guess to each his own, I shouldn't diss anyone, I just think it's cheating, that's all.

Ddog
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
perhaps you should be more aware of your regulations sleep robber.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Careful Rod.....you don't want to get too good at it or you become known as the Master..........Baiter .......in the hunting community:-D.

SSS

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 04:07 PM
wouldnt it show some hunting ethics in respect to the trapping regulations, regarding bear concerns ie if a bruin is showing up on your cam bait fed station to shut it down till it hibernated??? i know regs are regs but theres unwritten ethics to hunting isnt there? or am i short changing myself

Surrey Boy
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
wouldnt it show some hunting ethics in respect to the trapping regulations, regarding bear concerns ie if a bruin is showing up on your cam bait fed station to shut it down till it hibernated??? i know regs are regs but theres unwritten ethics to hunting isnt there? or am i short changing myself

Legal and ethical don't have much connection these days. It's also legal, private property notwithstanding, to park yourself near someone else's bait station. These things work themselves out in the larger picture.

Ambush
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
wouldnt it show some hunting ethics in respect to the trapping regulations, regarding bear concerns ie if a bruin is showing up on your cam bait fed station to shut it down till it hibernated??? i know regs are regs but theres unwritten ethics to hunting

I quess you didn't read the first post very well. Not looking for your opinion on ethics, just asking for info from people who have lots of pics over bait.

The place for your debate would be on a thread that YOU start on that subject.

Surrey Boy
11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I quess you didn't read the first post very well. Not looking for your opinon on ethics, just asking for info from people who have lots of pics over bait.

I'm waiting till this guy pulls a "Dougster"!:biggrin::mrgreen::twisted:

Trapper D
11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I quess you didn't read the first post very well. Not looking for your opinion on ethics, just asking for info from people who have lots of pics over bait.

actually i did read your first post, and just like you i too had some questions that i wanted to ask [sucessful master baiters] in case you didnt read my posts , and they were on the most part answered , except 1

Dually
11-23-2010, 05:50 AM
This was the first I heard it is legal to bait Deer in BC. I always thought it was just the yanks and their Deer farms that did things like that. I have to say I was pretty disapointed to hear this. I enjoy the pics but I have to say hunting baited deer kinda makes me sick. But as you say each to thier own.

boxhitch
11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Nothing different than sitting over any other food source, knowing that it will attract a deer. Just more convenient as location can be selected.

What better way to ambush ;) a deer than over a feed pile ?

Feed stations and food plots are an industry of their own if you listen to the hype on some hunting shows.
Setting one up year round may habituate any critter to stay in one location longer than is natural. Why move if food is available ?
The auto feeder would really keep down the amount of robbing by birds but most pests are active at night like raccoons skunks etc. Timed feeding may only hold the dominant ones

Is province wide feeding going to cause a slaughter ? I don't think so.

JCVD
11-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Your hunting deer over some kind of "bait" , natural or unnatural, no matter where or how you hunt. If there is deer in an area, something attracted them there. I would like for those who think baiting and killing a nice deer is easy, to do an experiment with it and film/shoot(gun or camera-not a trail cam) a decent buck in legal shooting time to show everyone just how "easy" it is lol. :roll:

IslandHunterBXL
11-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Have to agree with you. Hunting to some is simply just about putting meat in the freezer, period. And im sure alot of those folks would bait deer if that fills the freezer easier and faster.