PDA

View Full Version : Huntin region 2

bchunter181
11-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I was just wondering I have spent the last few weekends hunting region 2 and I was wondering if anyone knows or good area in region 2 for cuts blocks or good deer withholds. i was told of a good spot that I have been hunting I have hiked hours on end and even set up a blind in a cut block and watched for hours nothing is working saw a nice size deer(6 by 5) this weekend with 3 does but that's it all season just need help please season almost over need to tag out this year and end this 5 year drought. Even if it's a spike

Steeleco
11-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Don't beat yourself up. Depending on where your hunting, you may spend a lot longer than that finding deer, more than it's worth. Blacktails don't usually go too far. Find some areas in the off season that shows lots of sign and learn it.

Then go back come hunting season and apply what you learned.

I have a friend that is a very good BT hunter, but he's been hunting the same areas for 30+ years and knows them very well.

I just have to ask, you saw a 5x6 and didn't shoot him. Go back to that same area and do as I suggested above.

stanway
11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Go back to that same area and do as I suggested above.

Or tell me where it was, and I'll check it out for you.:wink::mrgreen:

Blacktails are probably the most frustrating deer to hunt. It is very rewarding when you do connect - which is probably why they are so addictive.

Don't feel bad, just keep at it. That's why it's called 'hunting' not 'harvesting'.

Good luck.

James

takla1
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I got a decent 3 pt yesterday reg. 2.WE hunted this area every day for the last two weeks.Hell of a climb up and the same back down every morning.Feet feel beat up but we stayed with it as we seen some tracks ,,in the fresh snow last week.Finally came together yesterday and had this 3 pt come into the call.The rut is on for these blacktails,if you seen a big deer the other day he will still be in there looking for does.Dont give up,persistants pays,the next week will be your best bet for a BT

bchunter181
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I just have to ask, you saw a 5x6 and didn't shoot him. Go back to that same area and do as I suggested above.

ya he wouldnt come in stayed out 650 yards or so i didnt want to take that long of a shot but man was it hard not to try specially when your in a big drought.

twoSevenO
11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
ya he wouldnt come in stayed out 650 yards or so i didnt want to take that long of a shot but man was it hard not to try specially when your in a big drought.

why didn't you try to stalk up to within 200 or 300 yards?

kyleklassen
11-22-2010, 06:56 PM
anybody that has a spot that holds a 6x5 in region 2 needs no help.

JCVD
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
You need to learn how to stalk an animal lol...go around, down wind and come in above the bugger! I would have at least made an attempt if I were you...these are not patterned whitetails...you need to work for them!

bchunter181
11-22-2010, 09:48 PM
i obviously tried guys the spot thats it was there was no way to get downwind and try to get around him he saw us before we had seen him and he was gone before we knew it could have taken a shot at 500 plus yards but didnt.but ya a 5 year drought obviously i need some help.

kyleklassen
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
i've never seen a spot where the wind blew from every point of the compass all the time but if i did thats probably where i would expect a 5x6 to live.

bchunter181
11-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Okay I will explain where he was he was on a cut block that was on a huge uphill slope a road ran through the cut block and he was on the far side by the tree line if I went through the cut block it would make to much noise and scare him lots of stuff onthe ground that the loggers left and couldn't get closer by the road and the wind was blowing towards him and he was looking right at us I got a close as I could 500 plus yards still and tried to make a shot decided not to and a out 60 seconds lately he went rung off after 3 does.

talver
11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Bro if i knew where a 5x6 was in region 2 I would be there till the end of the season as he will still be around the area you seen him with does+ if he wasnt pressured too much by you guys. Get up super early get up to that tree line and wait him out. And if you dont want to do that you can always PM the gps cordinates (Im joking) although I do wish I knew where a 5X6 blacktail was lol

Camp Cook
11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
At this time of year I hunt where the does are you will find the bucks eventually if you do...

bchunter181
11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
k thanks guys

pazz0
11-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I got a close as I could 500 plus yards still and tried to make a shot decided not to...

What caliber/rifle setup are you shooting?

Provided your rifle is capable, maybe you should practice shooting out to 600 yds on some paper targets on a dirt bank (so you can spot your hits) and see what your rifle is capable of.
IMO, a 500 yd shot for my .308 would have been a perfect distance and there would be no chance of missing unless the ground mysteriously collapsed beneath me and I disappeared for good.

Learn you rifle at the longer distances and you will get more game. Lots of people who are out hunting do not shoot past 200 yds because they are shooting lever action type rifles, or they are shooting bolt action rifles but have cheap scopes on them and do not know how to dial-up quick enough.

If you feel that you can't get closer than 500 or so yards, then maybe re-invest in some better equipment and start shooting the longer distances. It's FAR more fun killing things at 600 yds than it is killing them at 25 yds :rolleyes:
But before you attempt these distances you must be 100% confident with your abilities and your gear. Do not take the shot if you are unsure.

Good luck.

r106
11-24-2010, 10:55 PM
What caliber/rifle setup are you shooting?

Provided your rifle is capable, maybe you should practice shooting out to 600 yds on some paper targets on a dirt bank (so you can spot your hits) and see what your rifle is capable of.
IMO, a 500 yd shot for my .308 would have been a perfect distance and there would be no chance of missing unless the ground mysteriously collapsed beneath me and I disappeared for good.

Learn you rifle at the longer distances and you will get more game. Lots of people who are out hunting do not shoot past 200 yds because they are shooting lever action type rifles, or they are shooting bolt action rifles but have cheap scopes on them and do not know how to dial-up quick enough.

If you feel that you can't get closer than 500 or so yards, then maybe re-invest in some better equipment and start shooting the longer distances. It's FAR more fun killing things at 600 yds than it is killing them at 25 yds :rolleyes:
But before you attempt these distances you must be 100% confident with your abilities and your gear. Do not take the shot if you are unsure.

Good luck.

I think most people don't shoot over 200-300 yards is because they don't want to risk wounding the animal. I personaly think the time and money would be better spent in the field learning more about hunting and the animal instead of at the range learning 600 yard shots.

Just my .02 cents

knighthunter
11-24-2010, 11:48 PM
I think most people don't shoot over 200-300 yards is because they don't want to risk wounding the animal. I personaly think the time and money would be better spent in the field learning more about hunting and the animal instead of at the range learning 600 yard shots.

Just my .02 cents

And my .02 cents make .04 cents. I totally agree with what your saying.

Centerfire
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Thats up to 6 cents now.

I agree. Learn how to be a good HUNTER, not a good SNIPER. Too much of a chance of wounding an animal from those distances. Learn how to stalk up on an animal.

-Centerfire

pazz0
11-25-2010, 01:00 AM
r106, knighthunter and Centerfire,

I can see your wounding the animal point as a good one, but I personally disagree with it in the context of my scenario.

If you knew how to shoot at those longer distances then you would have nothing to worry about. 600 yds is not far (unless you are the typical guy who hunts his game within 15 yards). By the time you pull the trigger, the animal won't move fast enough for the bullet to miss. If I had a deer/bear in my sights at 500 yds, the last thing on my mind would be "injuring" it. Sorry guys.
How many hunters injure animals each year because they missed due to shooting off-hand in a hurry!? Lots. Nothing beats lying prone when shooting. When you are prone in the bush with your scope on a bear at 600 yds, there is no startling it. They do not just RUN like they do when you are stalking them from within 50 yds. It's a different game.

Now to a hunter carrying a typical .45-70 or .44 mag or some other gun whose bullet shoots in a rainbow trajectory, that is a whole other issue - one where your points would make sense.

bchunter181
11-25-2010, 01:23 AM
I shoot a 30-06 but to me what is the fun an love for the sport of sniping an animal from 600 yards to me that it not hunting just my opinion though!

pazz0
11-25-2010, 01:40 AM
I shoot a 30-06 but to me what is the fun an love for the sport of sniping an animal from 600 yards to me that it not hunting just my opinion though!

And a fully valid opinion at that!

Each person will enjoy a different aspect of the sport. Who am I (or you or anybody else) to say the other guy is "wrong" for doing it their way. I enjoy shooting longer distances, others do not. I can still appreciate creeping up on game to get within rock-throwing distance before a shot is taken. Now that takes incredible skill as well :D

bchunter181
11-25-2010, 02:40 AM
100% totally agree