PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Vortex Optics relative to high end options?

115 or bust
11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey guy's I'm going to be upgrading to a 12X or higher binocular and I was wondering if anyone has used the vortex razors, and could compare to some of the other brands that are out there. I am currently thinking leica, swarovski, and zeiss. I tried the leupolds but I found there was no noticeable difference from what I am currently using (nikon). I'm mostly concerned with low light performance. Any input would be nice I'm considering the vortex razor 12x50. Thanks

Rattler
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I have the Vortex Vipers, 10x42 and I like them. I have compared them to Zeiss Victory 10x42 and yes the Zeiss are slightly better (brighter), but in my mind not worth the extra money. Vortex are night and day better than my Bushnell's, especially the field of view and brightness in low light conditions.

coach
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm sure there will be lots of vortex opinions here - mostly positive. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but why do you want 12 or more power binos?

Elkaddict
11-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I can't speak to their binoculars, but I have two of their Viper series rifle scopes. The optics are excellent, and I think they are a great value.

As coach asked, why 12X or better? If you want to increase your low light performance keep the larger objective size but lower the magnification and you will have a brighter image that will last longer in fading light.

Doe
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Our household owns a set of razor (me), crossfire (jr), and vipers(shooter). 3 different tiers of vortex, all excellent and heads above anything else in their price range. You cant go wrong.

KODIAK BEAR
11-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a pair of Vortex Razors in 8.50 x 50 and in my opinion they are just as good as the more expensive brands. They are a high end binocular and I could not justify spending another $1000 when my eyes would be unable to tell any difference.
However, for hunting purposes, I don't know if I would want to go to a higher magnification than the 8.50's.

115 or bust
11-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm sure there will be lots of vortex opinions here - mostly positive. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but why do you want 12 or more power binos?

Cause 10x's just aren't cutting it for me, my old man uses zeiss 15x60's and they are awesome as long as you are able to use them belive it or not he even uses them for treestand archery hunting. A lot of the time its really hard to tell the difference between a really good blacktail and an island book buck with poor weather conditions or low light.
I have used both a lot and I mean a lot and there are significant advantages to the larger optics as long as you continue increasing the field of view as well. I don't need to increase my low light performance too much as it would exceed the capability of my leupold scope to shoot in the same conditions, however its definately one of my key selling points.

coach
11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Cause 10x's just aren't cutting it for me, my old man uses zeiss 15x60's and they are awesome as long as you are able to use them belive it or not he even uses them for treestand archery hunting. A lot of the time its really hard to tell the difference between a really good blacktail and an island book buck with poor weather conditions or low light.
I have used both a lot and I mean a lot and there are significant advantages to the larger optics as long as you continue increasing the field of view as well. I don't need to increase my low light performance too much as it would exceed the capability of my leupold scope to shoot in the same conditions, however its definately one of my key selling points.

Fair enough. I went through the same decision a couple years ago when I let a BIG 4x3 mulie walk because I couldn't make out the fourth tine in poor light at only 150 yards. I talked to a lot of guys about going to the 12x binos, but the overall consensus was that I should stick with 8 or 10x42's for the majority of my hunting. I upgraded from a cheap pair of Bushnell's and bought a pair of Nikon Monarch's - which I'm quite happy with. I also started packing my camera, which has a 48x zoom. A couple times, I've photographed animals and used the picture while deciding whether or not to squeeze the trigger. This year, I purchased a Vortex Impact spotting scope, which zooms up to 70x. I'm not overly happy with it, as the optics aren't very good. I plan on upgrading next season. That being said, I've heard great things on this site about the higher end Vortex products.

Casagrande
11-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Very happy with my 10x50 Razors. Personally I would not want them any longer. Weight is no issue unless you've got toothpicks hanging from your shoulders. Yes the big three are most likely better, but at almost 4x what I paid? No way. There is no better warranty out there either.

Shooter
11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Our household owns a set of razor (me), crossfire (jr), and vipers(shooter). 3 different tiers of vortex, all excellent and heads above anything else in their price range. You cant go wrong.

Hahahaha... you wish:-D... You got the Diamondbacks:twisted:

Doe
11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
crap, you right. I love them too!

bigwhiteys
11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
I've got a pair of 12x56 Zeiss and they are really nice glasses, but also incredibly bulky and heavy, even with a proper bino harness.

They are excellent in low light, just really cumbersome to use. And for a $2000+ set of binos their performance in wet weather is friggen embarassing.

I would look at the 10X but that's just me. If you're truck/quad hunting then go 12x all the way.

Carl

The Hermit
11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
You should definitely look into (pun intended) the KOWA Optics. Less than the Leica Swaro Ziess and equal to or better than them. The Genesis Prominar series comes in a 44x10.5 but not a 12+ power. If you plan to be in Victoria in the next while call me for a demo.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/Kowa_BD8x32(G).jpg

They do have the High Lander... 32 power x 82mm with Fluorite Crystals instead of glass. The standard model are tad on the expensive side at $5,560 but if you really want to go for it you could pick up the 50X eyepieces for an additional $1040. Prices are US before shipping and tax.

I think Fisher Dude uses these for his road hunting trips in the mountains!

MuleyMadness
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
They are optically very good glass. Optically they are much better than the price you will pay but they are a step down from the Swaros and Leicas (though in my opinion better than the Conquests, which are an embarrassment for Zeiss, awful clarity around the outer edge). Warranty is excellent as well. Something in around the same price range to compare them to are the Pentax DCF ED, which surprised the hell out of me in their ability to compete with the big boys. They too are very nice optics. Take your time and look through a lot of optics, but remember (and I'm sure you would anyways) that 99% of the optics look very good in decent light, when you are picking out your new binos, go to the store when it's raining/snowing or very cloudy just at sunset or when you would consider it to be the end of your legal shooting light...that is when your good glass really shines about the pretenders out there.
http://www.pentaxcanada.ca/sportoptics/binos/dcfed/specifications3.php

115 or bust
11-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I've got a pair of 12x56 Zeiss and they are really nice glasses, but also incredibly bulky and heavy, even with a proper bino harness.

They are excellent in low light, just really cumbersome to use. And for a $2000+ set of binos their performance in wet weather is friggen embarassing.

I would look at the 10X but that's just me. If you're truck/quad hunting then go 12x all the way.

Carl

Lol I'm a big boy and I already have a set of 10X so If I'm feeling wimpy one day I can always switch it up. I also liked that the razor comes with an option to double your power for long range glassing, I assume that it reduces your feild of veiw by the same but for early season scouting it sounds a lot more appealing than packing a spotter and binocs.

weatherby_man
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I have no complaints at all about Vortex scopes or binos. I have both in Vipers and they are excellent. For the money you cannot beat them.

Bow Walker
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Vortex. Buy with confidence. Been saying that for years. It has worked for me.

Fisher-Dude
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
I am currently thinking leica, swarovski, and zeiss. I tried the leupolds but I found there was no noticeable difference from what I am currently using (nikon).

Keep thinking that way. The Big Three are the only way to go. Wasting money on Chinese crap every few years when they crater costs more in the long run and saddles you with sub-par optics. Do it right, once.

115 or bust
11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Keep thinking that way. The Big Three are the only way to go. Wasting money on Chinese crap every few years when they crater costs more in the long run and saddles you with sub-par optics. Do it right, once.

My Nikons cracked a seal last year, took them in and had a brand new pair in less than a month. Can't really complain about that service!

twoSevenO
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
you and your old man really must hunt in some flat terrain if you're willing to lug around a pair of 15x60 binos. There's no way in hell i would want that hanging off my neck all day long.

I own a pair of Vortex diamondbacks in 10x42. Compared them to some higher end stuff but ultimately couldn't really see a difference in the store, during daylight.

Really like the binos, very very clear and they do let me see for a good 20-30 minutes after i can no longer make out detail with the naked eye at last light.

Overall, very satisfied with my purchase on these :)

Ruger.270
11-24-2010, 04:27 PM
just in response to the last post...

having hunted with 115 or bust and his pops for the last 5 years I can assure you these guys are hardcore...they used ropes and harndesses to climb into a rocky hell hole one time that was so steep I dont even want to go into it. basically it looked like mountain goat country. don't think their worried about a little bit of weight around the neck.

Ruger.270
11-24-2010, 04:48 PM
As far as an opinion on the optics go... I would say definately go for the high power. I've got 10-56 nikons and really wish I had 12 or better power, both for the island and interior. counting tines on a blacktail at last light, in the driving rain on the other side of a slash at 400 yards isnt a lot of fun with a 10 power. Neither is counting tines on a mule deer buck at 800 yards in driving snow. I've had both situations this year, and both times felt I needed a power upgrade in my binos. grab a tripod and then you dont necessarily need a spotting scope all the time too.

I say go for the vortex's and the use the money you would have spent on the swaro's to buy a new pair of meindels so your feet aren't wet all the time!

Fisher-Dude
11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I say go for the vortex's and the use the money you would have spent on the swaro's to buy a new pair of meindels so your feet aren't wet all the time!

I say buy the Swaros and you don't have to wear out your Meindels walking closer to get a better look with shitty Chinese optics. :wink:

Good Kraut optics have saved me countless miles of hiking and WASTING TIME getting close enough only to see that an animal isn't legal. What's that worth?

115 or bust
11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I've actually found some great information on some bird watching websites of all things, and also Some excellent reviews on a Coues white tail hunting forum. Everything I hear is that the glass is excellent, From my reading so far their customer service is rumored to be superior to sworovski. The concensus seems to be that they are the very next best thing and a thousand dollars or more less. Something for me to think about. Lol you are right there Brad, would be nice to have dry feet on my next great saskatchewan blacktail stalking adventure ;-)

Deer Sausage
11-24-2010, 08:28 PM
my hunting partner got into vortex...he has a scope and some 10x binos...i sort of stick with leupold but i have to admit the price difference is significant and the light transmission/clarity/quality seem to be real close.

The Hermit
11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I say buy the Swaros and you don't have to wear out your Meindels walking closer to get a better look with shitty Chinese optics. :wink:

Good Kraut optics have saved me countless miles of hiking and WASTING TIME getting close enough only to see that an animal isn't legal. What's that worth?

10 - 1 odds FD has never looked into Kowa binoculars or scopes... he would be crying over the decades worth of road hunting fuel money he wasted on the lesser Swaros! LOL

115 or bust
11-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Not familiar with those ones (Kowa)? Do you have a pair yourself?

ruttinbuck
11-25-2010, 07:04 AM
For the last few years I have ran three pair of binos.
I have a pair of zeiss 8X30T*P
Vortex 8X42 diamondbacks
Minox 15X58 big eyes
I really like the diamondback glass for the price but have'nt really used them in a hunting low light condition.
I use the zeiss extensively year round,the vortex are used as boat glass,and the minox are used for extended glassing sessions in open country.
The minox are about 1/4 of what the big three cost for the same class of quality.I have found they will stay with the zeiss right to the last light for viewing at twice the magnification.
These minox were $550 USD last time I checked at cameraland.com and thats about where the high end vortex price correct.
Here is a link to a review on higher magnification binos you should read if considering buying big glass.RB
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2010, 08:58 PM
10 - 1 odds FD has never looked into Kowa binoculars or scopes...

If I really want a headache, I'll pound down a gallon of cheap red wine instead. :-P

Everett
11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I have a vortex viper rifle scope and its hands down better than my vx 2 leupold in the same magnification. So if ther binos are the same quality I would consider them a real good choice.
Another option Minox just got my wife a pair of 10x43 minox HG binos from careland NY and they are real close in quality to my swaroskis only can tell the differance in real low light I mean an hour before dawn stuff.

Gateholio
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
COmpared my Leica Ultravid 10x to Casagrandes 10X Vortex last night in low light.

The Leicas were crisper, clearer and brighter, but the Vortex were very good for 1/3 of the price. I think they represent very good optics at an excellent price.

The Hermit
11-25-2010, 09:37 PM
If I really want a headache, I'll pound down a gallon of cheap red wine instead. :-P

A hahaha... I'd be up to helping with that.. as you know! ;-)

Bow Walker
11-26-2010, 11:42 AM
COmpared my Leica Ultravid 10x to Casagrandes 10X Vortex last night in low light.

The Leicas were crisper, clearer and brighter, but the Vortex were very good for 1/3 of the price. I think they represent very good optics at an excellent price.
I agree 100% Vortex - imho - are an excellent choice for the price. Would I seriously look at/buy some Swaros or other high-priced Euro glass if I could afford it? Probably - after some serious comparisons. But for the price, Vortex cannot be beat.

:icon_frow FD has a huge hangup about Asian manufacturing for some unknown reason. We're most likely far better off not knowing that particular reason. :-? :-D

Casagrande
11-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Was that before or after the ten beers you drank?
No denying that they were marginally better
FD the Razors are made in Japan:mrgreen:

Gateholio
11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Japanese make good optics. I am not sold on Chinese optics at all

xtremearchery
11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I love my Vortex Diamond Back 10x50 binos. Best I've ever had. Best warranty and value for sure. In my opinion.lol

eastkoot
11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
10 - 1 odds FD has never looked into Kowa binoculars or scopes... he would be crying over the decades worth of road hunting fuel money he wasted on the lesser Swaros! LOL

If I sold them then I'd promote them too, but I don't so I use Lieca...Yes, I have looked thru them (Kowa?).. Not even close!!!