PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2010 - So far...

longrifle
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey folks,

Here we go, the up-to-date tale of my fall 2010 season, so far...

Early season is always taken up by work so I didn't get out until the long weekend of October. Opening day of cow/calf moose season brought a monsoon, but I figured we had better get out there, because you never know, and really, how many other people will go out in this downpour, right? Haaahh!! I've never seen so many people out in the particular area but my wife and I searched around and found a couple of nice spots to sit and do some calling, hoping to rustle up an immy or a cow/calf pair. No dice, it continued to pour into the afternoon so we decided to head back to my folks house and enjoy turkey dinner with the family. Later on in the evening the skies cleared and the temperature dropped, I knew the morning would bring good things...

The next morning found us in place before dawn, we watched the last of the stars fade as we hatched our plan for the morning. We had decided to hunt the second spot that we had did some calling in the day before. Daybreak was upon us, my dad decided to accompany us on this hunt so the three of us stalked off, enjoying the scenery that was unfolding before us, perhaps too much. We hadn't gone two hundred yards into the old slash when we came face to face with a young cow moose! She was so close that she spooked down the hill, I tried to get her to stop, but she wouldn't and my wife wasn't confident taking the shot so into the timber the moose went. To be continued.......

My calf, yummmm, tasty vittles!!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/CalfMoose.jpg

Fast forward two weeks and it brings us to November 5, away I go looking for the big bucks I know are hanging around!...I hate having tags and hot spots for both deer species, and of course not possessing the ability to be in two place at once, I figured it was time to concentrate on one or the other, I picked mule deer. The old boy and I hunted a new spot that I had found to still contain fair numbers of does and small bucks. The area is known for producing some big bucks so we put in some time and saw deer, but no big boys. The fifth morning found me sneaking along a road in the middle of an old slash at first light. All of a sudden a wolf comes ambling into view, about sixty yards away! It notices me at the same time I saw it and it turned and started to run, I whistled and it stopped broadside, mistake one. Mistake two was looking for a second too long, I give it the 270 salute, and it bit the dirt hard! SAWWEEEET, a black wolf! I made sure it was dead and then kept on going looking for deer....to be continued
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Wolf.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/MD.jpg

'rifle

cavebear
11-21-2010, 08:25 PM
looks like you've been having a good year!! :-D
nice wolf did you rug it?

ydouask
11-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Hell of a season, congrats!