PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Area

laredo318
11-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Heading up north of Kamloops tomorrow morning. Criss Creek area.
Just wondering how the backroads are. I know there has been a lot of snow, so just wanting an update from someone in the area please, and thank you!!

SageLand
11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
It's Cold , windy and frigen miserable out so be prepared, chains if you got access too a set.....not that your going to need them but it is winter ...

Slee
11-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I was up in that area on thur. It was -18 all day long... Not that much snow for this time of year.

M.Dean
11-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Be prepared for severe winter conditions! Tire chains, jack, shovel, 4 wheel drive etc! Pack good winter clothes, good boots and the list go's on! I've been stuck in the middle of nowhere in winter and had to walk out, it CAN be life threatening if things go sideways on you! Pack enough stuff for a over night stay! It's minus ten here, still snowing and a good wind starting, would be a shity day to walk out 10 or 15 miles!

Bushy
11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Anywhere from 5-7 cm up to 10-13 cm up top, lightly snowing with around 3 cm more tonight/tomorrow, -12 now, feels like spring. A bit of wind. Heard a 6 X 4 down today and one 4 X 4 this morning.

swampdonkey
11-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Anywhere from 5-7 cm up to 10-13 cm up top, lightly snowing with around 3 cm more tonight/tomorrow, -12 now, feels like spring. A bit of wind. Heard a 6 X 4 down today and one 4 X 4 this morning.r the bucks coming from up top neighbor said we had a foot at the cabin congrats on your bullwinkle

ufishifish2
11-20-2010, 07:22 PM
It was beautiful today. The snow was really dry and quiet.
I was able to drive everywhere without the use of chains. One more good dump of snow and if may be a diferent story, but for now it's still driveable just about everywhere.
I did also notice a tonne of movement from the deer all day long. The Mulies were on the move and the bucks weren't being shy about it.

M.Dean
11-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I just got home from a Quad ride up the mountain, it's winter time so if your going to go play in the cold and snow, be prepared for winter conditions. Lots of deer track, and unfortunately looks like 2 Wolves are back eating my deer! There tracks went in a huge circle, I followed them for about 4 or 5 K's then they went in the thick timber.I'm going back out in the morning and would sure be nice to cap one of them! Seems the deer are moving up high and low down, tracks every where, but didn't see one!

laredo318
11-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks to all the responses!!

husky30-06
11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
keep your cell phone handy and charged........ keep it warm so the battery does not wear down to fast. also if you have FRS radios, take them with you and keep spare batteries............ the others have listed off other items of importance, take them also!!!!!!

Ex-sar guy

Gun Dog
11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Turn OFF your cell phone -- it's the constant "searching for signal" that drains the battery when you're in the wilderness.

Piperdown
11-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Rich I didn't need to hear that, seeing as I just left.

guywitha270
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Drove all around up there today. Up to Red Lake, up Sabiston and back down to Copper Creek. Back up to Criss Creek and down to O'Connor Lake Rd and down to Westsyde Rd. Sign absolutely everywhere, yet nary a Buck. Tons of snow too, like marshmallow powder. They're up there for sure.

M.Dean
11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I seen more sign today than I have for quite sometime also, tracks every where, looks like the deer were screw*** on the roads last night, but never seen a animal!Seems most deer track is headed into the new growth tree's, I'd bet if a guy took a hike around the back of some of these blocks and walked in you'd find them! Seen Wolf track, followed them in the tracks I left the night before, looks like they stopped a few times and curled up, looked like they bedded down? Got up top the Mountain, not sure of the temp, but man was it cold with a good wind blowing! My lighter wouldn't even work! Bare hands froze in under a minute! If a man had to walk out unprepared for sever winter weather he'd die in the first mile! Was a cold cold Quad ride, it's going to get colder, and yes me and my Quad will be back on top the mountain this week! Pics to follow, hopefully by me, not the EMS that find my frozen body!

Slee
11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Drove all around up there today. Up to Red Lake, up Sabiston and back down to Copper Creek. Back up to Criss Creek and down to O'Connor Lake Rd and down to Westsyde Rd. Sign absolutely everywhere, yet nary a Buck. Tons of snow too, like marshmallow powder. They're up there for sure.

Do you drive a little SUV thing??? If so I watched you drive by 7 does and two nice 4x4's...... Plus this guy also blew a stalk for me by driving up a deactivated road while I was making a stalk on a nice 5x4! Guess you didnt see my solo boot tracks going up the road, but I saw you! And thanks :evil: How were those big rocks on your oil pan?

The bucks are moving hard right now. noses in the snow and not stoping for anything.

rides bike to work
11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Hunted the oconner lake area all fri and sat. fri saw 6 does and three bucks 2 2points and a massive three point actually the three could have been a four only could see one side then I fumbled around with my gloves and jammed a bullet took gloves off fixed bullet looked back up to watch his ass disapeare into some thick stuff impossable to track.saw what looked like a white tail and tracked it in a big loop right back to our truck than another big loop back to our truck again you always wonder how far ahead of you they are but youll nevr know.sat saw three groups of does one with a 2 point buck.On the way down almost got hit by a doze rally cars coming around the corners sideways was just waiting to win the auto lotto their little imports would have have lost in a head on with my jacked f250 and welded bush bar.Anyway lots of fun for my first kamloops trip next time more meat.

Bushy
11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Rich I didn't need to hear that, seeing as I just left.

Yes Pipes one more day and it went party time, even the whitetail participated, Slapper got the 4 X 4. The mountains were moving!!

Enough to get out for WT now. -17 w/light snow now.

RB

guywitha270
11-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Do you drive a little SUV thing??? If so I watched you drive by 7 does and two nice 4x4's...... Plus this guy also blew a stalk for me by driving up a deactivated road while I was making a stalk on a nice 5x4! Guess you didnt see my solo boot tracks going up the road, but I saw you! And thanks :evil: How were those big rocks on your oil pan?

The bucks are moving hard right now. noses in the snow and not stoping for anything.

Sorry dude, no, I drive an F-150. Sorry someone blew your stalk for you.

Camo
11-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm heading up there this weekend with the camper. It will be my third time this year so I hope to get something. My chains aren't ready yet so I hope I dont need them.

beni
11-26-2010, 08:27 AM
heading out this morning to a new area in town for some WT's (Well, new to me)

glad it didn't snow, should be a nice day today =)