PDA

View Full Version : Garmin gps dog tracking systems

chukar bob
11-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I have done a lot of research on the Garmin Astro 220 dc-30 & 40(collars) and even made some phone calls to dog supply places in the States. They all say they are illegal in Canada until Canada changes some frequencies in 2014. They cannot even sell a unit to a Canadian address.

Sure would like to have one of the units for my gsp. Seems that many of the hound runners have them with up to 10 collars to be tracked at the same time.

Three weeks ago i hunted with a guy in the States who had collars on his Setters and it was amazing. He knew exactly how far away his dogs were and if they were on point and the direction, of course.

Does anyone have any further informmation?

spreerider
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/items/5322616/L-L-Bean-Garmin-Astro-59525995623

canada post lists them on their website, but sell from the states, i would think they are legal here but dont know for sure.

SHAKER
11-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Just about everybody who runs hounds is gett'n with the new age. If I could afford it I would too! Friends of mine all have them and they rock, get them shipped to the border, just go down and pick it up. No border issues apperantly that way. Or if you have a good buddy down south, just get him to........................

chukar bob
11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
thanks for the info so far. i cannot really afford one but am compelled to get one anyway which would be the Garmin Astro 220 with the dc 40 collar. Factory refurbished are $499 new is 599. ON that Canada Post website LL Bean has them for $622 which is the highest i have seen so far but thats Bean for you.

I was told by a rep from Gun Dog Supply that they are for sure not legal in Canada and they cannot sell to a Canadian address.

I am going on another bird hunt the end of this month to OR and just may go ahead and buy one anyway.