PDA

View Full Version : Blacktails - interior?

birch
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Living in the North OK.
Thinking about trying for a blacktail next year.

Any recommendations on closest spot I can get into some blacktail country?

Looking at the West side of manning possibly?

danfloris
11-19-2010, 09:44 AM
go onto POPE AND YOUNG website or Google black tail range..... check it out it will show u a map of the black tail area. and im sure people have shot lots of bts out side the drawen area and are real black tails but in order to be considered in the books it has to be within the area or its considered a cross witch is a mule deer.

birch
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
go onto POPE AND YOUNG

I cant find it on their site. Id be interested in seeing the "offical" range map. Have you got a link?

jml11
11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Here is the boundary description for Columbia Blacktails in BC from Boone and Crockett:

"British Columbia — Starting at the Washington-British Columbia border, blacktail deer range runs west of the height of land between the Skagit and the Chilliwack Ranges, intersecting the Fraser River opposite the mouth of Ruby Creek, then west to and up Harrison Lake to and up Tipella Creek to the height of land in Garibaldi Park and northwesterly along this divide past Alta Lake, Mt. Dalgleish and Mt. Waddington, thence north to Bella Coola. From Bella Coola, the boundary continues north to the head of Dean Channel, Gardner Canal and Douglas Channel to the town of Anyox, then due west to the Alaska-British Columbia border, which is then followed south to open water. This boundary excludes the area west of the Klesilkwa River and the west side of the Lillooet River."

They also have a map but it isn't very detailed and is very small.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_boundaries.asp?area=bgRecords

Again these are "official"" boundaries but there are probably fringe areas that hold blacktails as well

birch
11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
thanks

so the east side of the skagit range is out, as therefore so is anything in manning, "offically"

Cyrus
11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
When I lived in Bella Coola their were some real monsters around there but mostly on private land. Not likely to find anyone that would let you in....Firvale had a few places but turned inot goat country fairly quick