PDA

View Full Version : Effect of the moon on deer while overcast

Sangstercraft
11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
When the moon's full, I've found it tough to see deer during the early morning and late evening because of their nocturnal feeding.

What do you guys think - when overcast and snowing at night do deer revert to being active during the day, or will there still be enough light for them to browse at night?

Shooter
11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I think if you go out you have a chance at a deer. I also think if you sit on the couch you won't have a chance at a deer. pretty simple really

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Big toms like to go for a long walk on a full moon and they've been known to eat hunters at this time.

GoatGuy
11-18-2010, 08:25 PM
you won't kill anything starring at the back of your eyelids. :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
you won't kill anything starring at the back of your eyelids. :wink:

Nope...but your partner might kill one while you're nodding off:oops:.

SSS

GoatGuy
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Nope...but your partner might kill one while you're nodding off:oops:.

SSS

and he did.

the gunshot alarm!!! hahaha.

I put in three hours of sleeping on Monday as well, luckily it was foggy, and I don't have a tag.

Sangstercraft
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I think if you go out you have a chance at a deer. I also think if you sit on the couch you won't have a chance at a deer. pretty simple really

Ya thanks for that great tip, pretty helpful. What I should have wrote was just:

"When overcast and snowing at night do deer revert to being active during the day, or will there still be enough light for them to browse at night during the full moon?"

Stone Sheep Steve
11-19-2010, 05:06 AM
and he did.

the gunshot alarm!!! hahaha.

I put in three hours of sleeping on Monday as well, luckily it was foggy, and I don't have a tag.

You mean you actually cut a tag ...or are you too cheap to buy one??:-D

SSS

huntinnewbie
11-19-2010, 05:44 AM
If I remember rightly, last year during the first week of any buck in region 8, it was a full moon.
You could have sat outside and read a book it was so bright.
The deer were nowhere to be seen during daylight hours. We figured they had been feeding all night long and sleeping during the day.
Didn't seem to effect the bears though.

doubled
11-19-2010, 06:15 AM
I will answer your question the way you asked asked it.

In my experience, when it is overcast or snowing/raining during a full moon, it has not had the effect as it would if it were clear that night. IF it is clear, animals will be up and about feeding/moving/etc all night long. You should be fine this weekend if it is cloudy.

Sangstercraft
11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the answers huntingnewbie, doubled.

dougal
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
I was out past chilliwack
last night and as I came back into town there was a few black tail does wandering about moon out high and heavy cloud cover black as death out there and they were wandering about so I think it comes down to feeding habits overall as well as the tendancy to feed during full moon clear nights.