PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady's Kitty Kat Adventures

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 12:09 PM
With almost a foot of snow on the ground here in Cranny, and having no other tags left for big game, it's time to get serious about predators..

No ice for ice fishin, so gotta do something.....

Went and got 3 kitty tags today....Cougar, Lynx and Bobcat, so if it goes meow and its big enough, its gonna be a POW!!! .243 is all sighted in, gear is all packed, just gotta make final arrangements with my buddy with dogs to go out this weekend...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Also will be keeping an eye out for yotes and maybe a wolf....

Will keep you updated and will be taking my video camera to document the adventures....

averagejoe
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
good luck!! where abouts you hunting?

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Any direction from Cranbrook that we feel has potential for cats and find the tracks...:-D

Sleep Robber
11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Good luck !! Hope you get the chance to cut all those tags, we need some new kitty pics on here, hopefully you can help us out there too. :wink::)

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I also plan to eat the kitties:eek::eek::eek:, if I am successful. I have had cougar hams before and they are awesome..

Not sure if the wife will be too keen, but I figure I might as well give it a try.....

I don't really want to shoot one, just for the hide...

If I was willing to pack out a mountain goat's meat and hide, I think I should do the same for cats, until I try it, I guess...

Stay tuned on that one...I may have to ask Ali for her best recipes for felines:-D

Rodd
11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Good Luck! The fresh snow is key... Take advantage! I would love to finally tag a Bobcat, have chased them for many miles... No success... They are smart buggers!

Jetboat
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Best of luck to ya. Major populations of lynx here in the north last winter and from all the rabbits around, I'd hazard a guess this winter will be the same. One note on the .243 I gotta mention however...it's NOT fur friendly on lynx. A shot through the neck with a 70gr SP made a big mess of things and darn near decapitated a little kitty :( I'll stick to the .22LR or .22Mag for the smaller cats myself. If you do use the .243, go with reduced loads for the cats and save the full house loads for wolves :twisted:

11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Cougar is awesome. I unfortunatly havent been able to hunt them, but every year at the F&G dinner guys bring it. Tastes like pork. Serious, It is good. My wife isnt too keen on trying new stuff, although with some pressure she will. She was asking for the plate o' kitty back!

Good luck !

sawmill
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I also plan to eat the kitties:eek::eek::eek:, if I am successful. I have had cougar hams before and they are awesome..

MMmmmmmm Pussy:mrgreen:.
I`d love to go with for an adventure but I smoke too much and I`m basically lazy.I hear Perry Creek has a few running around,lot of deer there so..........who knows.Good luck Mike.

averagejoe
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
is there lots of cats around cranny?

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
One note on the .243 I gotta mention however...it's NOT fur friendly on lynx.

Yeah, I know its a bit much gun for bobbers and Lynx, but I don't want to be packing all my guns to the trucks with me....

Maybe I should just take the 12 guage with some turkey loads for B & L and some 2 3/4" slugs for the cougs???

Depends on what the old grey matter tells me when I leave the house on the morning that we go...

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Highest population of COUGARS anywhere in the province, Thats why HUNTER1947 moved here !!! Oh wait, you are talking about the 4 legged version????

There seems to be a lot of cat hunters around here, so I would assume there is a decent population of cats....This is only my 2nd year doing it, so I don't know all of the ins and outs yet....

I know:

Find track
Let dog sniff it,
If dog howls, you follow it....If dog does not, you move on....

If dog is let loose on the trail, grab your SHite and start following...

If/when it trees, then you try to figure out if its a tom or a female. Most guys let females walk.... If its a Tom of acceptable size...He is done...

The the long journey (sometimes) back the way you came or hopefully an easier route, back to the truck...

I also found out last year tht the time and distance from grabbing your gear to when the cat trees can be quite significant....

Barracuda
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
actually i think vancouver island is the highest population of the big kitties .

I will say that cranbrook probably has the highest population of hounds in bc:-D

averagejoe
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
are these the guys you see with the boxes in the back of there trucks with the round holes cut in them for dogs heads? or are those for dogsledders

11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I know:

Find track
Let dog sniff it,
If dog howls, you follow it....If dog does not, you move on....

My buddies dad was a big cat hunter years ago. He had a hound that rode on the hood of the truck, when she jumped he'd let the rest of them go. He hunted cats ALOT back then.

Wish i went

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
are these the guys you see with the boxes in the back of there trucks with the round holes cut in them for dogs heads? or are those for dogsledders

More than likely.. The guys I have seen will have 2 to 4 dogs in their boxes, whereas a dog sledder will have 8 or 10 and usually the sled on top...

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Good Luck! The fresh snow is key... Take advantage! I would love to finally tag a Bobcat, have chased them for many miles... No success... They are smart buggers!

Smart, fast, tight mouthed dog.

Cuda yeah we have a lot of kitties in the worst terrain and they often dont come down to cross one of our few roads... pros and cons everywhere !
Just about every run we nearly lose one to drowning or a cliff :neutral: and this year I had two punctures, one just shy of the jugular and one the femoral from our nasty slashes :neutral:

Barracuda
11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
ok boys
snow is a commin down right now :-D
looks like this weekend is gonna be the start of this tears season :mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Dumping here too!

eastkoothunter
11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Not really anymore. 10 years ago there use to be tons, but hound hunting is getting more and more popular in that area. Most guys I hunt with don't really shoot them anymore, its just for the dogs, but lots of people still shoot the first cat they see in a tree. Gotta get far far from town to have any success these days. Especially if your looking for the big ones.

bforce750
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM

There are lots of cats in Cranny ,bring your friends,TELL EVERBODY!!!!!!! they raised the female quota again.

rocksteady
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
There are lots of cats in Cranny ,bring your friends,TELL EVERBODY!!!!!!! they raised the female quota again.

SHUT UP !!!! At least wait til I have killed one before you let the "cat" out of the bag !!!:wink:

eastkoothunter
11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
they raised the female quota again.

That's unfortunate

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
That's unfortunate

I'll say .

Everett
11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I was almost kitty food last year up near Whiteswan. Rock if you want the location of a large Wolf Pack drop me a PM and I will send you the gride ref. of were the wife and I cut there trail.

rocksteady
11-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Well up at 02:30 this morning....Damn insomnia:twisted::twisted:

Watched stupid TV infomercials til I got picked up at 5:00...Went North, other truck cut a track in the dark and we joined up and ran it once it was light...

Not a long run, maybe 2 kms or a bit more, roads everywhere, so we only had to hike about 250 yards round trip from the trucks to the tree and back...

Unfortunately it was a young female....Not big enough to cut a tag on, but it was a very pretty cat...

Will download some video and pictures tomorrow maybe...

Not sure if we are gonna run again tomorrow or not...

Saw a decent muley buck...3 point...On video.....and 1 whitey buck, 4 point, he was not stickign around to have his picture taken or worse (the guy I was with still has a whitey tag...)

So for the cat season so far, 1 day out, 1 cat run, 1 cat treed, 0 cats harvested....

Was a beautiful day out there there, fresh snow, minus 6 or so, bright sunshine...Gotta love the Rockie Mountains :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Darksith
11-20-2010, 10:45 PM
good luck!! where abouts you hunting?
don't call it hunting, call it dog chasing

rocksteady
11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Here is the muley....

MAYBE a 4 by 3, can't tell if the 4th is over an inch though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVlauw3IGo

rocksteady
11-21-2010, 11:51 AM
And the kitty Kat.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ApdNfGyqNA

kennyj
11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Nice videos. I like watching that mulie move out.
kenny

averagejoe
11-22-2010, 09:28 AM
thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Ambush
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Keep chasing and filming, Rock!
I've wanted a cougar for a long time, but for now, I'll get a kick out'a following your adventures.

Sometimes I think you have way too much fun for one man.

Ddog
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

ummm,,,what pouch do you think a cat has?

Ddog
11-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Keep chasing and filming, Rock!
I've wanted a cougar for a long time, but for now, I'll get a kick out'a following your adventures.

Sometimes I think you have way too much fun for one man.

ya, but thats the only fun Mike gets to have, for the other 8 months of the year he sits on his couch.

weatherby_man
11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
ummm,,,what pouch do you think a cat has?

You know,,,the pouch,,,those cats that bounce around on their back legs have a pouch where the kittens hide. ,,,,, right?

rocksteady
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM

We usually do not run a female with kittens, as it is illegal to harvest one....I have yet to see a kitten with its mom, so I have no idea how big they are or if they would be in the same tree....

As far as low down, the cats I have seen are sitting in about the bottom 25 feet of the tree...Up close and personal...

rocksteady
11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
ya, but thats the only fun Mike gets to have, for the other 8 months of the year he sits on his couch.

Yeah, sure..That's me...The couch potato...Whatcha been drinking this morning D???

averagejoe
11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
i was just kidding about the pouches.

ya i seen some videos of the cats being so low in the tree ppl poking them with sticks

i was watching the hunting chronicals last night and this guy was hunting cougars in b.c with some outfitter looked like a fun hunt. lots of hiking

BlacktailStalker
11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
True cougars carry purses not pouches.

eastkoothunter
11-22-2010, 11:14 PM
True cougars carry purses not pouches.

HAHA, yes!!

Barracuda
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Nice going ,. hitting the local snow and nasty mountains here next day off.:mrgreen:

rocksteady
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Well gents I thought long and hard about submitting this one but here goes.....

Night of December 29th my dogging partner was out til around midnite in the fresh snow til he cut a track....Marked it with a boot track and a cigarette pack...Saying..."I found it, keep driving".....

He picks me up at 05:30 and we are off, checking adjacent roads in the dark, seeing if we can find something fresher/bigger......Around 08:00 we head back to the track, as its getting light enough to run the hounds......We show up and here is a TRUCK, with a GUIDE and a HUNTER (From TExas).....WTF ???????

We have a discussion with him, who goes, as usual "Client from the US, only a few days left, paid big dollars, really hope he gets one, old guy, first hunt, never gonna do it again at his age, blah, blah, blah.....)

So we decide we are gonna both run the track and if push comes to shove and toes get stepped on its gonna be at the base of the tree....:mrgreen:

We get to the tree after the dogs ran it for 2 or 3 km, only 200 metres from the road (sweet!!)....Unfortunately its a mature female with NO KITTENS.....Not for me...YET!!

Its legal to harvest females with no kittens but frowned upon by most of the doggers I know, as once the female quaota is reached, the season is shut down for the year....

My buddy says that we have a good chance of finding me a decent tom, rather than a female, so once the Guide and Hunter get to the tree, they decide they will take the cat.....

This is where the story gets interesting:???:

My buddy tied his dogs back about 20 yards from the tree, where the Guide only tied back maybe 10 yards or so....and not to very big trees (more like bushes...willows and crap)

So at the shot (30-30 open sights, chest heart hit) the cat falls out of the tree and bounces, dog lunges, breaks the twig off that it was tied to, cougar spins around and grabs dog by face.......

Dogs screaming, other dogs going insane.....Guide (complete with video camera in one hand) grabs the dogs leash and starts KICKING the cougar in the head to let go of his pup.....I see shat go sideways and jump in with my rifle.....If I get a clear shot I am gonna smack the kitty before anyone gets hurt.....

Unfortunately, I could not get a shot when the ball of cat/dog/guide go down the hill past me...Finally the cat lets go...Guide yells at the hunter to shoot again....BANG!!!! clean miss, dirt flies up about 1 foot away from the guide's other dog which was tied better.....I was between the hunter and the cat, so I am not sure how close I was to getting shot in the ass......

Cat is still alive and crawling towards me, I have its pumpkin in the scope, safety off and just getting ready to smoke it when it turns about 45 degrees and starts going downhill......It almost runs over my tripod (it did bump it)and camera that I have set up to video the action, so that I can back up the Texas hunter (I am the only other one with a gun).....

Finally it clears my tripod and I tell the hunter to shoot it again, which he does, right through the top of the shoulders/spine and its OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the video that I clipped, sorry for not getting the whole thing on video, but the audio portion will tell you how sideways things went.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm0P9h2pmf8

I will post the rest of the story in a bit, some are aware, some are not....

Tenacious Billy
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Cool video....those dogs clearly have a hate on for kitties!

BiG Boar
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow. Too bad it wasn't all on video. Can you get a copy from the guides camera? Sounds awesome!

rocksteady
01-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Can you get a copy from the guides camera? Sounds awesome!

Here comes the rest of the story.......Because of the stuff below I doubt the guide is all that amicable to sharing anything with me/us/anyone......

SOMEONE, not sure who, talked to the CO Service regarding the Guide/Outfitter.....I have heard 3 differing stories:

1) CI plotted the cat in the wrong territory
2) CITES permit plotted cat in wrong territory
3) Local hunter complained cause this Guide/Outfitter harvests females regularily, so it shuts the season down for all....

I am not privvy to which is correct, but any and all could be true......

Anyways, from what I hear, the G/O is going to be charged fro harvesting outside his territory ( I would say by at least 10 kms).....

Not sure if any charges pending for the Texan though....

I had to think long and hard about whether I would post this or not, as I know there is other opinions on here and did not want to start a shat storm......

I am of 3 emotions.....Pissed at the G/O for trying to jump our track.......Local ethics are if its marked, keep moving.....Happy for the hunter from Texas...68 years old, not in great shape, not sure if he had even hunted in snow before, who went home with a great trophy (by his standards))....Laughing at the G/O who does not even know that he was outside his area....:confused:

I will not name the guide or his Outfitter, as I am not that kind of person....I am assuming it will become public knowledge in the quarterly CO report that gets published after 6 months lag time...

Philcott
01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Interesting. More to follow, I'm sure.

rocksteady
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Went out again on New Years Day....

We cut a pair of tracks....Maybe a female with grown kitten????? Were not sure and we saw no others so we ran it for practice....

Dogs went up the hillside and treed the cat after maybe a 30 minute chase....

We hiked up 100% slope in knee deep snow, took us almost an hour to get there and here is the kitty.....We think it is a tom, but last years kitten.....Not sure where the other track went , as we did not backtrack where the dogs had come up....It was UGLY....

ENjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-mthXhFa4

Stone Sheep Steve
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for posting up RS!

If the GO is convicted, I wonder if the Texan will get to keep his cat?? Too bad he'll probably get caught-up in the middle.

SSS

doubled
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Nail him to the cross. There is a reason why there are boundaries, I don't care how much money he was paid to find a cat.

MountainHigh
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Wow! what a story!!!!

We do things a bit different down here....If we came across a track that looked "marked" and nobody was around....then its fair game. This happens alot with outfitters....they will walk the track both ways to "stomp" it out. Kinda like discouraging others from running it. I have followed boot prints over 200 yards, found where the outfitter turned around, and Voila!...Tom tracks!...(outfitter did not let out for whatever reason...). We turned loosed and had it in the tree within the hour.

I do agree its a tough call though as I have cut tracks right at the beginning of a road, wanted to go look up the end of the road (like 40Kms)...came back, and the outfitter dumped out on the track I marked. I was bummed but understood I had every chance to let out when I found it.

But then again, I'm not as 'competitive' as many cat hunters I know!

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
You know where I stand on the whole track "saving" thing.
Do guys leave a note saying whether they'll be back or not ? A phone number to ask?
In reg.4 is there never more than one cat in a section of land at a time and if you cut a similar track on the next road to the west of the one marked to the east, does that make it yours ?
Is the "track marker" valid the next day or is there an expiry date ?
Do they go back and pick up their garbage on the days they dont get back to the truck til midnight and they're hungry and borderline hypothermic?

I'm glad I dont live in Reg.4.
Houndsmen are their own worst enemy.
That guide is a MORON, good job buddy, you scab.
Anyone who cant tell a female from a tom before letting go is green or just plain dumb.
I wouldnt let my dogs go with another guys dogs like that, thats nuts if you ask me... ask your friend how he'd feel if one of those other dogs was a serious tree fighter and had maimed or killed his dog!?

At least 75% of females have kittens stashed somewhere... why those guys dont get together and ensure long seasons by leaving those shes alive, they'd have a chance at FINDING a good tom to take.

Good for you Mike for holding out, if you dont find one this year you'll get one next year and it will be WORTH mounting or whatever you plan on doing with it.
At least you got a laugh out of this!

Barracuda
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
would have been intersting to see the shitshow unfold thats for sure.

Glad your haveing fun chaseing the hounds.

Good the old guy got a cat he is happy with and hopefully he isnt penalized for the outfitters greed.

For some reason hounding can bring out the best or the worst in people. From outfitter / resident conflict, guiding out of territory, illegal guiding , . Not to mention insecure houndsmen or greedy guides constantly trying to scoop or get the jump on cats they hear about from other houndsman or killin every cat or bear they see for a paycheque .

I have known a few folks that have stepped back from it just because of the questionable tactics some hounders engage in which make it unenjoyable.

There is an Icky element to hounding and unfortunatly it rears its ugly head far to often.

Great Job on the adventures and stories i am enjoying them .
Hopefully the mercury will drop soon and harden up stuff so we can hit the hills again soon.

boxhitch
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
........... Not to mention insecure houndsmen or greedy guides constantly trying to scoop or get the jump on cats they hear about from other houndsman or killin every cat or bear they see for a paycheque .

Poor ethics for sure but does greed really play into it ? Are the hunts paid for in full regardless of outcome, or are they fee plus trophy fee ?
I don't know.

hunter1947
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey buddy you told me this story a week or so ago I thought maybe it would not be good thing to post this story up but I am glad now that you posted it up for us HBC members to see ,in my books you did everything right I will be the last one to shit on you my friend..

rocksteady
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks Wayne.....Not sure if I am going to regret posting it or not...Stay tuned....

Here is some footage of the kitty, before it was harvested....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1yRw-h7tuI

MountainHigh
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Anyone who cant tell a female from a tom before letting go is green or just plain dumb.

Agreed...its not that difficult...lots of new Houndsmen just want an easy chase so they will release on anything fresh.

I wouldnt let my dogs go with another guys dogs like that, thats nuts if you ask me... ask your friend how he'd feel if one of those other dogs was a serious tree fighter and had maimed or killed his dog!?

I have seen dogs get pretty torn up by aggressive dogs on tree. We never mix ours unless we know the person and their dogs.

At least 75% of females have kittens stashed somewhere... why those guys dont get together and ensure long seasons by leaving those shes alive, they'd have a chance at FINDING a good tom to take.

A very wise Houndsman once told me a female will almost always be either lactating or pregnant.

Kill the females....kill your fun.

01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Wow that must have been a pretty wild few minutes. Good for you guys for sticking to your principles Mike. After all it's us BC citizens that are the custodians of this resource. Outfitter who repeatedly harvest a females are not stewards of the resource in my opinion.

150fighter
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
My thoughts on marking the track:

If you find and mark a track, its "reserved" for you, if someone else comes upon it, they should keep going. That being said, if someone drives the next road over and finds the same track, only fresher, and no one has marked that, then its fair game.

People may argue that, claiming that "Oh, we've been tracking this cat for a while now". But how do you know that they aren't just bs'ing you?

You find the freshest track, and if its not marked, you get to run, plain and simple

eastkoothunter
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
My thoughts on marking the track:

If you find and mark a track, its "reserved" for you, if someone else comes upon it, they should keep going. That being said, if someone drives the next road over and finds the same track, only fresher, and no one has marked that, then its fair game.

People may argue that, claiming that "Oh, we've been tracking this cat for a while now". But how do you know that they aren't just bs'ing you?

You find the freshest track, and if its not marked, you get to run, plain and simple

Nicely put 150. I had a run in this season, after many days of going out with no sucess I finally cut what looked to be a respectable tom track and collered the dogs. 15 minutes later a guy drives down the road claiming they cut it way back and "thought" it could be the same track. It could have been the same or it couldn't have, but I wasn't passing the track up on a "thought". I'm all for respecting the fact that someone has cut a track before me but in this case you snooze you lose. After a short discussion he continued on (not overly happy) and I ran the track. Case closed, tomorrows another day.

Good luck on your cat adventures Rocksteady, its all about patience in the cat hunting game.

houndogger
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Killing that female just lost some of the best bait to attract a big tom in the area! The outfitter knew he was out of bounds guarenteed. Surprised he would still go through with it with you fellas there??? Well if he is killing females thou he don't care bout his cat pops much!

bayou
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
You houndsmen are sure a different bunch. If the guide/outfitter did something illegal hopefully he is charged. As for the female being shot you were all part of that eventhough you didnt pull the trigger, you were part of the chase and run. If you were against the shooting of it you should have said so and took your dogs and left but you chose to stay and video and help.
Not as bad a a fellow I talked to a couple weeks ago he found it odd to see a drag mark coming outa the bush close to where someone had released on a couple tracks, he decided to follow it in and found the kitten shot and left dead at the tree the female was taken.Like I said you houndsmen are a different bunch.

digger dogger
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Whoa, there Bayou! Don't paint all people with hounds with the same brush!

bighornbob
01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was illegal to look for tracks in the dark?

BHB

blackbart
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
BHB, not quite sure where in the regs it dictates when you can look for tracks.

I am not a houndsman, more of a retriever kind of guy. Can't shoot ducks untill 1/2 hour before sunrise or after 1/2 hour post sunset.

The marking of a track and "claiming" it as yours seems somewhat wierd to me. I like to track big mulies in the snow, if I cut a track of interest I go after it as opposed to pissing on it and coming back at a later time. Perhaps the cougar chasers can edumacate me as to how this system works??? In my mind does not seem much different than getting angry at a guy in a bar for taking home a cougar that you previously bought a drink for. If you arn't ready for the chase when the encounter origionally transpires perhaps you should stay home?

eastkoothunter
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was illegal to look for tracks in the dark?

BHB

You can look for tracks whenever, dogs can't be released until legal light

bighornbob
01-17-2011, 10:22 PM
BHB, not quite sure where in the regs it dictates when you can look for tracks.

I am not a houndsman, more of a retriever kind of guy. Can't shoot ducks untill 1/2 hour before sunrise or after 1/2 hour post sunset.

I guess it may be a grey area but from the regs:

Hunt and Hunting - includes shooting at,
attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following
after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
those things, whether or not the wildlife is then
or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b) while in possession of a firearm or other
weapon.

Maybe it was just from some hound guys that I know, maybe a etiquet (sp) thing, like leaving a boot print by the track.

On that subject, if I would have found that I would have thought it was some lazy hunter or litterer and not someone marking a track. Regardless, no that I know I would still ignore. If you are there on the track then so be it its yours. If you are not its open to anyone.

Like someones else mentioned what to stop a guy from driving around all night and marking every track he finds?

Maybe I should try this with sheep hunting, I will put a note up at popular glassing areas, that i spotted a ram on the hill and it is mine to go after as soon as I get back.:-D

BHB

bighornbob
01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
You can look for tracks whenever, dogs can't be released until legal light

Where does it say dogs cant be released until legal light???

BHB

150fighter
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
You mark the track when its still dark out. If you find a track at 4am, and still dark out you cant just let the dogs go. You gotta wait till it gets light. So while your waiting for it to get light, you drive the roads that are close to the track that you found, looking to see if the cat is "boxed in". If you find fresher tracks, you run the dogs from that point, instead of wasting energy by dropping the dogs off at an older track in the snow.

I guess you could just drive around and mark every cat track you find, but word spreads pretty fast in the cat hunting circle.... and people will start disliking you pretty fast....

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
You houndsmen are sure a different bunch. If the guide/outfitter did something illegal hopefully he is charged. As for the female being shot you were all part of that eventhough you didnt pull the trigger, you were part of the chase and run. If you were against the shooting of it you should have said so and took your dogs and left but you chose to stay and video and help.
Not as bad a a fellow I talked to a couple weeks ago he found it odd to see a drag mark coming outa the bush close to where someone had released on a couple tracks, he decided to follow it in and found the kitten shot and left dead at the tree the female was taken.Like I said you houndsmen are a different bunch.

No arguement there but care to explain, you're a houndsman.

BHB

It is illegal but seems its not enforced.

150fighter
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
No arguement there but care to explain, you're a houndsman.

I actually heard that the COs in the West Kootenays this year were nailing guys for this actually.... but ya, not that enforced.

150fighter
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Where does it say dogs cant be released until legal light???

BHB

Would you want to be chasing a scared/ possibly pissed off cougar in the dark?

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
You mark the track when its still dark out. If you find a track at 4am, and still dark out you cant just let the dogs go. You gotta wait till it gets light. So while your waiting for it to get light, you drive the roads that are close to the track that you found, looking to see if the cat is "boxed in". If you find fresher tracks, you run the dogs from that point, instead of wasting energy by dropping the dogs off at an older track in the snow.

I guess you could just drive around and mark every cat track you find, but word spreads pretty fast in the cat hunting circle.... and people will start disliking you pretty fast....

I think anyone who goes by this unwritten "rule" is hilarious and unless you're sitting on that track I'd tell you to go phuc your hat if you whined about losing it after leaving it.
Get a friend to sit on it or whatever but if you've left it to look for another then too bad sorry, the mountain isnt a shopping Isle, put one track in your cart and go look for a better one!
Dont get me wrong I'd say best of luck and carry on should I see a guy on a track or know he's working one but if it's abandoned tough luck buddy.
Nothing personal towards you just you mentioned it.

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I actually heard that the COs in the West Kootenays this year were nailing guys for this actually.... but ya, not that enforced.

Which is exactly why I wouldnt honour the marking thing, if you have some stupid kids that will go out and run roads for you thats great but unless they're sitting on it til first light I'm not honouring that b.s... and they better have dogs in the box and a tag.
Not that its a big deal though because there is WAY better hounding elsewhere so you'll likely never see me there, I just cant get over this stupid little marking thing.

Another thing they need to enforce is trucks looking for tracks without a LEGAL TAG IN THE TRUCK, pursuing and looking for cat/tracks,intent or w/e falls under the definition of hunting which requires a tag. The guides here are real bad for that.
Yeah if wolves are open guess you can cover your ass there but then you have no reason to be out before first light and any CO on top of his game can make the call on what he really thinks you're doing ;)
Why so many houndsman are a stain in the pants of the sport are just all the reasons above and so much more, its sad.

Cats in daylight are generally cowards, cats in the dark are a 4 pawed edward scissor-hands with jaws that kill, guys that let go with minimal daylight left or before light arent too bright.

digger dogger
01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I think anyone who goes by this unwritten "rule" is hilarious and unless you're sitting on that track I'd tell you to go phuc your hat if you whined about losing it after leaving it.
Get a friend to sit on it or whatever but if you've left it to look for another then too bad sorry, the mountain isnt a shopping Isle, put one track in your cart and go look for a better one!
Dont get me wrong I'd say best of luck and carry on should I see a guy on a track or know he's working one but if it's abandoned tough luck buddy.

Hilarious is right! Saving a track?
That marked track better have a box of dogs at it 5 mins after shooting light.
Sure glad I don't live there!!!

eastkoothunter
01-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Any smart cat hunter would be back on that track with a respectable amount of time before light, I agree to the fact if your not on it by light its your loss and because the sooner you get the dogs out the better.

Tyler21
01-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Any smart cat hunter would be back on that track with a respectable amount of time before light, I agree to the fact if your not on it by light its your loss and because the sooner you get the dogs out the better.

agreed, i used to do that, and rome around once i found one..but now at my age i choose to sleep on the track, i need my full 8 hours, or i get grumpy

STU

eastkoothunter
01-17-2011, 11:16 PM
agreed, i used to do that, and rome around once i found one..but now at my age i choose to sleep on the track, i need my full 8 hours, or i get grumpy

STU

Ain't that the truth

bighornbob
01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Would you want to be chasing a scared/ possibly pissed off cougar in the dark?

No I wouldn't but that does not make it illegal. You said it was illegal?

Bhb

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 04:43 AM
It sounds like this guide outfitter new he was out of his guide area Mike you said 10k thats a long ways outside his boundary I would think he new he was well outside his area.

I can understand a couple K but not 10K any CO that monitor this site I hope they follow through with this matter.

Elkaholic
01-18-2011, 07:19 AM
I have to say I know alot of cat hunters here in Cranbrook and not one of them goes by the marking rule. The rule usually is if your on it at daylight its yours. The crew I hunt with usually mark tracks throughout the day so they know what is old/they looked at or what is new. And to be honest I think if you expect people to not take your track because its marked you have a shock waiting for you like you guys did. Also I don't understand why guides and there is alot of cat hunters too that will just shoot ANY cougar. I mean isnt the point(IMO) to let the small ones go and just harvest mature toms. But I have to say rocksteady those are some good tales. Always enjoy reading your posts.

rocksteady
01-18-2011, 08:16 AM

I can understand a couple K but not 10K any CO that monitor this site I hope they follow through with this matter.

The CO's are already involved, statements, complete with field visits have been conducted....Now its just the waiting game to see what transpires...

rocksteady
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
[quote=Elkaholic;836561]I have to say I know alot of cat hunters here in Cranbrook and not one of them goes by the marking rule. The rule usually is if your on it at daylight its yours. quote]

In my defence here, not saying the marking of the track thing is right, wrong or indifferent.....This is only my second year that I have been trying to get a cat and the guy I run with, as well as all of his hounding "friends" play by this "rule"......Maybe not all cat hunters in the EK but the group I am hunting with do...

Part of the reason I posted the story was that I wanted to understand how others did it in other parts of the province and other hunters in the area......

As stated in the first part of my post, I had to think long and hard about whether I should post it or not....Like I said a few posts back, not sure if I will regret it or not.....

Don't be throwing hatred my way, as I am a "noob" to kitty hunting......Trying to learn from a "mentor", who may or may not see things the way you all do...

Kody94
01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Another thing they need to enforce is trucks looking for tracks without a LEGAL TAG IN THE TRUCK, pursuing and looking for cat/tracks,intent or w/e falls under the definition of hunting which requires a tag. The guides here are real bad for that.

Yeah if wolves are open guess you can cover your ass there but then you have no reason to be out before first light and any CO on top of his game can make the call on what he really thinks you're doing ;)
Why so many houndsman are a stain in the pants of the sport are just all the reasons above and so much more, its sad.

BTS...BHB raises an interesting question and I am curious what your take on this is. Is it legal to look for tracks prior to 1hr before sunrise?

Most folks assume that it is, and that the hunting actually starts when the dogs are let go.

But according to your thoughts on the 'legal tag in the truck', finding tracks is hunting (searching) and so it would be illegal to start looking for tracks more than 1 hr before sunrise. Can't have it both ways.

Bayou...I'm interested in your take on this too.

Elkaholic
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
[quote=Elkaholic;836561]I have to say I know alot of cat hunters here in Cranbrook and not one of them goes by the marking rule. The rule usually is if your on it at daylight its yours. quote]

In my defence here, not saying the marking of the track thing is right, wrong or indifferent.....This is only my second year that I have been trying to get a cat and the guy I run with, as well as all of his hounding "friends" play by this "rule"......Maybe not all cat hunters in the EK but the group I am hunting with do...

Part of the reason I posted the story was that I wanted to understand how others did it in other parts of the province and other hunters in the area......

As stated in the first part of my post, I had to think long and hard about whether I should post it or not....Like I said a few posts back, not sure if I will regret it or not.....

Don't be throwing hatred my way, as I am a "noob" to kitty hunting......Trying to learn from a "mentor", who may or may not see things the way you all do...

I think you are taking my post the wrong way steady. I am by no means throwing hate your way. I was just stating that most people would not adhere to your friends "rule" is all. And that IMHO I would not use that kind of honor system because you will end up being burned. And I commend you for posting your story be it what it may. This site is turning more and more into a flame contest. A person is scared to post anything on here because of what flak they may catch from a fellow hunter who may "think" he or she is better. I say keep on posting what you want as long as there is no illegalities and piss on the rest as I thoroughly enjoy reading them!

Elkaholic
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
BTS...BHB raises an interesting question and I am curious what your take on this is. Is it legal to look for tracks prior to 1hr before sunrise?

Most folks assume that it is, and that the hunting actually starts when the dogs are let go.

But according to your thoughts on the 'legal tag in the truck', finding tracks is hunting (searching) and so it would be illegal to start looking for tracks more than 1 hr before sunrise. Can't have it both ways.

I think about 2 years back the CO's around Cranbrook where going to try and go out and enforce no looking for tracks before daylight. I don't think it ever happened but I think their point was that is it "technically" illegal because you are looking for game in the dark. Especially with the lights most guys have mounted to look for the tracks.

I am guessing though that the whole mess is a sticky situation for alot of reasons mentioned in this thread. Maybe this is why the CO's seem to have an unwritten agreement for hound hunters to have respect and they will not get any hassles but push the boundaries and they will come at you.

budismyhorse
01-18-2011, 10:37 AM
If looking for cats before sunrise is illegal........darn near every houndsman is guilty.

Just swing by a local gas station at 3am and see how many dog boxes around.

I can't believe that its illegal with every hunter out there before light.

rocksteady
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
[quote=rocksteady;836572]

I think you are taking my post the wrong way steady. I am by no means throwing hate your way. I say keep on posting what you want as long as there is no illegalities and piss on the rest as I thoroughly enjoy reading them!

I did not take yours the wrong way....It was just a summary statement of all the flame throwing going on, that just happened to be on the same post as your quote...My bad.....

I hopefully soon be able to post video and pictures of me harvesting my first ever mature Tom cougar (first cougar period), complete with the whole story.....:-D Dang, this cougar hunting thing is hard work...Up early, hiking over hill and dale, in deep snow, following noisy hounds to find out somehting is "too small"......Almost sounds like sheep hunting....Which I have not yet had the urge to do !!!!

01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I having no knowlage of cougar hunting and its politics have found this thread very interesting. And for the most part quite cival giving its "Heated" nature.

Never knew people did this stuff.

digger dogger
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
If what Bayou says is real, the C.O's should have the kitten that was
destroyed illegally, now they have a big chunk of D.N.A from the mom, so when and if the Shecat gets C.I'd, "BINGO" stripped of licence and dogs.

A mistake is one thing, but killing a lactating female for training is sooo wrong!
I haven't been hounding for too long, but I can tell if there is Kitten running
with a Mom, or a Tom running with a SheCat.
I just learned this year a Tom's toes tend to be pointed.

Man has this thread gone South!!!
Get a good Tom, R.S :-)

01-18-2011, 11:16 AM

No it hasnt!
I was wondering a few pages back when someone mentioned sex'ing tracks. I wandered how you do that with a cat......... Now i know!

16ga
01-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Kind of off topic but that seems like a pretty small cat, one day you might want to try over here in Nelson, there are some big cats just above town, just ask Gwillim ( he had a face to face with a rather large a few years ago, indirectly led to him taking up hunting).

Also off topic but if the GO loses his license what happens to his dogs?

I don't think the Texan should lose his cat, as far as he knew everything was legal and he had a licensed quide to make sure.

Anyway, good luck.

Barracuda
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
the first time i heard the pointed toes on a tom was this weekend.

I had always gone by the "under four is female" rule.
Under four inches wide and under 40 inches stride.

I will look more closely from now on.

I think it is 50% of females have kittens per year and about 25% females have kittens from the previous year. so only 25% are dry without kittens.

Kittens orphaned at 6mo mark have about a 70% survival rate older ones have from what i can tell a 90%+ rate . anything after a year old has a very good survival rate (for a cougar that is).

The regs do allow for females to be taken and i am not gonig to slam anyone that takes one, but i would say that it should be an educated choice with an understanding of the possible ramifications.

I wonder how many folks have been getting free smokes every time they go for a drive:lol:

Kody94
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
If looking for cats before sunrise is illegal........darn near every houndsman is guilty.

IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with looking for tracks in the dark.

I also don't see anything wrong with driving my truck out to the bush, slinging on my pack and hiking 2 hours up to my favorite basin, so that I am there just before daybreak.

When it comes right down to it, what's the difference? If you had put a ram to bed the night before, and were hiking in the dark to where you last saw it so you can be ready at first light, isn't that just as much "pursuit" as looking for tracks in the dark, then sitting on them until first light? In neither case are you pursuing the animal...just going where it has been.

rocksteady
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
destroyed illegally, now they have a big chunk of D.N.A from the mom, so when and if the Shecat gets C.I'd, "BINGO" stripped of licence and dogs.

A mistake is one thing, but killing a lactating female for training is sooo wrong!

Just a point of clarification, cause some of the stories are inter mingled......The above quote references Bayous post #61....It has NOTHING to do with the hunt I was involved in/posted about.....

I am still trying to figure out the tracks thing...Depends on the snow conditions, to me.....When its a bit soft, I can see definite toes prints and size etc, but when they are in 6 inches of powder fluff, I still am having troubles...:confused: but learning every time we go out...

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Phew glad to see the general consensus isnt what I thought regarding marking tracks, thought I was the arrogant dick here for a while but so be it.

As the regs quote which I dont have in front of me, it IS illegal and guys have been fined for it. A local guy north of me was fined and had to take his "spotlights" off his side view mirrors or at least not have them on before legal hunting light.

No you can let dogs go in the dark legally, thats one they will enforce.

The way I've heard it is yeah they are.

Same goes for if a cat hunter (with hounds) has tagged out, he cant be running roads with a box full of dogs looking for tracks without a legit person holding a valid tag in the truck.
Technically no truck can be running roads with the intent to find a cat and run it (CO's call here) without a valid tag in somebodys pocket in that truck.

I really hope they enforce some or all of this stuff.

Its all petty stuff really but my thoughts here are we have phenominal cat numbers in BC, opportunity is more than ample to enjoy the full experience of hounding which to me is being out there when 95% of the people who do hold hunting licenses ARENT out there, why guys are slamming seasons shut by whacking females 2 weeks into the season blows my mind,nobody is making good dogs running a handfull a year and why they are happy with a lactating female is almost comical, but sad (for the sport) at the same time, fortunately not an issue in many regions though.
Its well known there are some hardcore deer hunters who have hounds just to hopefully better "their herd" but they should be killing wolves if they want to make a huge difference.

Anywho nothing more from me til Mike nails his tom, good luck Mike I see a cold front moving in:)

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
It is not illegal to take your dogs in there boxed in to a hunting area when it is still dark out.
But to let them go in the dark after a cat is this legal or not ???.

digger dogger
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
R.S you and me both!(something new every time)
Hope to see you with a big furry puddy, at the end of the thread!
Good luck on a Stompin Tom Cougar.
Dave..

digger dogger
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
From what I understand Wayne, letting the dogs go before legal shooting light is illegal, looking for tracks in the dark is also illegal..
I time my roads so there is no B.S if there were a question of
("what are you doing here at this time?)

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Toes & "whole track size" arent the best way to judge a track and not entirely accurate IMO.
I strictly go by rear pad size foremost and stride secondly and this is 100% accurate for me but absolutely to each their own and what works for them, its all fun as they all have slight variances and the proof is in the tree !

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
From what I understand Wayne, letting the dogs go before legal shooting light is illegal, looking for tracks in the dark is also illegal..
I time my roads so there is no B.S if there were a question of
("what are you doing here at this time?)

I don't see anything in the regs that say you aren't allowed to transport your dogs into the country in the dark as long as they are in there holding cell in the transporting unit :confused:..

bighornbob
01-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't see anything in the regs that say you aren't allowed to transport your dogs into the country in the dark as long as they are in there holding cell in the transporting unit :confused:..

Wayne

There's nothing in the regs that says you cant be bird watching with a pair of binos around your neck and a gun on the seat for bear protection either. But If a CO stops you, and you dont have a hunting license and tags guess what you you are being charged with hunting without a license even though you are "bird watchin". Thats how it works.

I guess its like that old saying "If it looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t its probably sh*t"

BHB

Kody94
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

The regs say you can't hunt for game (which includes searching for game) prior to 1 hour before sunrise.

The "grey zone" is whether looking for tracks falls into the category of "hunting"....its not related to whether you have the dogs in a box, or even with you at the time.

Frankly, I think there should be an explicit exemption for looking for tracks.

BighornBob...since you raised this...and since you state if it "looks like...etc", what are your thoughts on my analogy earlier about hiking in (or riding horses or whatever) prior to legal hunting time?

How many times have you bumped game in the dark, and hung around until legal shooting light? Or put something to bed the night before, and snuck in on where it was in the dark the next morning? How can one say that hiking in in the dark is not part of the search for game? When does it change from hiking to hunting/searching? (usually the second you have legal shooting light, right?)

Or what about setting up duck blinds and decoys before 1/2 hour prior to sunrise. How many folks set up super early, then sit in their blind and watch ducks go by until legal light before they start shooting? Pretty much all of them I suspect...anyone waiting to set up their decoys until 1/2 hr before sunrise is missing all the best action!

Or how many folks climb into treestands or blinds in the dark, watch animals come and go by in the dark but wait for legal light before shooting? I'd say most hunters don't wait until 1 hr before sunrise before walking into their stand or blind.

Isn't that basically the same? In fact, using the duck hunting and treestand hunting examples you could maybe even make the case that a houndsman should be able to get the cat in the tree anytime, as long as you don't pull the trigger on it before 1hr before sunrise. ;)

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
The regs say you can't hunt for game (which includes searching for game) prior to 1 hour before sunrise.

The "grey zone" is whether looking for tracks falls into the category of "hunting"....its not related to whether you have the dogs in a box, or even with you at the time.

BighornBob...since you raised this...and since you state if it "looks like...etc", what are your thoughts on my analogy earlier about hiking in (or riding horses or whatever) prior to legal hunting time?

How many times have you bumped game in the dark, and hung around until legal shooting light? Or put something to bed the night before, and snuck in on where it was in the dark the next morning? How can one say that hiking in in the dark is not part of the search for game? When does it change from hiking to hunting/searching? (usually the second you have legal shooting light, right?)

Or what about setting up duck blinds and decoys before 1/2 hour prior to sunrise. How many folks set up super early, then sit in their blind and watch ducks go by until legal light before they start shooting? Pretty much all of them I suspect...anyone waiting to set up their decoys until 1/2 hr before sunrise is missing all the best action!

Or how many folks climb into treestands or blinds in the dark, watch animals come and go by in the dark but wait for legal light before shooting? I'd say most hunters don't wait until 1 hr before sunrise before walking into their stand or blind.

Isn't that basically the same? In fact, using the duck hunting and treestand hunting examples you could maybe even make the case that a houndsman should be able to get the cat in the tree anytime, as long as you don't pull the trigger on it before 1hr before sunrise. ;)

Reason being if the regs stated a hunter could walking or chasing a cat in the dark to tree a cat with hounds it is different then walking in to your hunting spot in the dark.

Hounds are in a diffent catagory then that of a human they can smell better out run any human for long lenths period of time.

Kody94
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
A hunter walking or chasing a cat in the dark to tree a cat with hounds it is different then walking in to your hunting spot in the dark.

I agree...I was making an extreme example at the end..hence the winky-face. In duck hunting or hunting from treestands its commonly accepted that you can do everything EXCEPT pull the trigger, before legal light. Why not cat hunting? ;) (again with the winky face :D )

But you missed my main point Wayne...what about driving in your truck looking for tracks, versus walking in to your "hunting spot" in the dark? Is there really any difference?

How many times have people been hiking in to a "patch" and then as soon as they agree its legal light look at each other and say "OK, we are hunting now"? Heck, I've seen it lots of times. Other than "intent" whats the difference between the walking with a rifle slung over your shoulder at 5:59 AM, versus the walking with a rifle slung over your shoulder at 6:00 AM? (assuming sun-up in this fictitious example is 7:00 AM). Maybe you put a round in the chamber? lol Is that what defines hunting versus hunting? (I am being facetious :) )

Even road hunters go out before legal shooting light, and discuss with each other when its light enough to shoot...and from that point on they are "hunting" instead of just "driving".....LOL

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I agree...I was making an extreme example at the end..hence the winky-face. In duck hunting or hunting from treestands its commonly accepted that you can do everything EXCEPT pull the trigger, before legal light. Why not cat hunting? ;) (again with the winky face :D )

But you missed my main point Wayne...what about driving in your truck looking for tracks, versus walking in to your "hunting spot" in the dark? Is there really any difference?

Kody94 the way I see it the difference is that you can't walk as fast as you can drive using a motorized truck or car to look for tracks when you are walking in to a hunting area in the dark ,you can't cover ground like you can in a moving truck or car ,thats the way I see it why you can take a horse or walk into an area in the dark ???.:wink:.

Craven200
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
What is the intent of the regulation and the legislation? I think that is the question to look at. Then ask yourself, are you within that intent. A quick simple example is a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle...by offence definition is loaded firarm "in" or "on" a motor vehicle. The intent of the legislation is to NOT have loaded firearms in a motor vehicle or for someone who is "on" an ATV. The intent IS NOT to prevent a hunter from standing on the ground and utilizing part of the vehilce as a rest putting his firearm "on" the vehicle and shooting...which is perfectly legal.

Kody94
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
The difference is that you cant walk as fast as you can drive your not using a motorized truck or car to look for tracks ,when you are walking in to a hunting area in the dark you can't cover ground like you can in a moving truck or car ,thats the way I see it why you can take a horse or walk into an area in the dark ???.:wink:.

I added a road hunter example to my post above....they do it too! :)

I don't think speed is the differentiating factor between whether your hunting or not....cuz then we'd have to set a speed limit! ;)

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I added a road hunter example to my post above....they do it too! :)

I don't think speed is the differentiating factor between whether your hunting or not....cuz then we'd have to set a speed limit! ;)

I guess the regs have a grey area in them LOL ,we the hunters would have to go back to school to re educate ourselves if they where to re right the regs in a few catigories ,if they did re right the regs what you have suggested there would be all guide outfitter plus ourself sitting at home waiting for daylight to arrive before we left for a hunt ,LOL :lol:.

huntcoop
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM

The "grey zone" is whether looking for tracks falls into the category of "hunting".......

Seems to be a fair bit of "grey zone" in the regs.

huntersam
01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
just out of interest, i have never been cougar hunting before, and only time i have seen one is it ran across a road in front of me out hunting and it was gone. but once you find a cougar whether its treed or whatever, how do you guys tell if its a tom or not? is it just size or do they have some specific features to their faces or something? just curious. hopefully someday il get an opportunity for one

digger dogger
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM

I don't either, but that is the way I have interpreted the law!
Looking for tracks in the dark, too me is hunting.. I may be wrong but it works for me to avoid any grey areas.. :-)

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't either, but that is the way I have interpreted the law!
Looking for tracks in the dark, too me is hunting.. I may be wrong but it works for me to avoid any grey areas.. :-)

LOL but how could the CO or anyone else prove that you where looking for tracks if you where driving into a hunting area if they did implement this rule LOL.

bighornbob
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Technically you are right, in my mind there is no difference from sitting in a tree stand 2 hours before light or searching for tracks. And as the law states those are illegal and I have brought that up before when someone says they have never broken the law.

Like someone else says I think its the intent of the law. I am sure guys have been busted looking for tracks in the dark because someone complained that were bullied/threatened by the guys that found the track in the dark and marked it with a pack of smokes or something as his track.

Same as with the "shooting from a vehicle". We all know the intent of the law, in or on is breaking the law not leaning on or using as a rest. I even emailed the head CO in the southern interior for his input on it and he said he would never charge anyone using a vehicle as a rest if said person was on a dirt road shooting into a clarcut. He said most people charged with this are also shhoting from a highway or in a no shooting area etc.

Back to the original question. I am sure, enough people complained about the practise of looking for tracks before dark and the fights that I assume probably started over who found it first, that the CO's started charging guys who look in the dark.

I find it funny (had this conservation with a hound guy once) that the same law that basically says hounds can not be released before dark also says you cant search for it either. They dont let their dogs go before dark as they say its illegal but search for tracks in the dark and say its fine but its the same law.

BHB

Kody94
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
LOL but how could the CO or anyone else prove that you where looking for tracks if you where driving into a hunting area if they did implement this rule LOL.

If you stopped at the track, stomped them out and even left a note, it wouldn't be too hard to prove. ;)

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
You can make this as complicated as you want but it comes down to one word, intent.

Kody94
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
You can make this as complicated as you want but it comes down to one word, intent.

I agree, but it doesn't really clear things up with the other examples I gave.

bighornbob
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM

I guess the question is are you willing to pay for a lawyer to fight it in court.

It all depends on where you are stopped. If you are stopped at the start of the dirt road and there is a ton of country ahead you could and it is reasonable that you may be driving to one particular area, I am sure you would not get ticketed. But if the CO catches you coming out of an area and there is still an a hour to go before light I am sure you would get ticketed.

The same can be said for pitlamping. You only need to shine a light out your window and have a gun in the truck to be charged with pitlamping. The CO does not have to wait for you to pull the gun out and shoot to charge you.

BHB

budismyhorse
01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
This is what I find so crazy! They are all out there in the dark looking......every hound hunter I know has 3 am gas receipt.....read the OP's story.....or any cougar story on this website for that matter....

There must be some kind of "understanding" out there between CO's an hunters......

This is one of the most confusing situations between the Regs, hunters and CO's I've ever heard of.

Kody94
01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Technically you are right, in my mind there is no difference from sitting in a tree stand 2 hours before light or searching for tracks. And as the law states those are illegal and I have brought that up before when someone says they have never broken the law.

Like someone else says I think its the intent of the law. I am sure guys have been busted looking for tracks in the dark because someone complained that were bullied/threatened by the guys that found the track in the dark and marked it with a pack of smokes or something as his track.

Same as with the "shooting from a vehicle". We all know the intent of the law, in or on is breaking the law not leaning on or using as a rest. I even emailed the head CO in the southern interior for his input on it and he said he would never charge anyone using a vehicle as a rest if said person was on a dirt road shooting into a clarcut. He said most people charged with this are also shhoting from a highway or in a no shooting area etc.

Back to the original question. I am sure, enough people complained about the practise of looking for tracks before dark and the fights that I assume probably started over who found it first, that the CO's started charging guys who look in the dark.

I find it funny (had this conservation with a hound guy once) that the same law that basically says hounds can not be released before dark also says you cant search for it either. They dont let their dogs go before dark as they say its illegal but search for tracks in the dark and say its fine but its the same law.

BHB

This is not a subject I have ever given much thought to, but the more I think about it the more I'm concerned about the interpretation of the law and any hunter that pulls off the highway (or maybe even out of Tim Horton's drive thru!) before legal hunting hours.

Given the situation you describe above (cat hunters reporting other cat hunters for being out too early, looking for tracks in the dark), what is to stop a disgruntled sheep hunter from making the exact same complaint against other sheep hunters that got up earlier than him/her and made it to the sheep patch before them?

You know as well as I do that there are a number of vantage points that people hike into in the dark and wait til its light enough to spot bighorns. When did the hiking (or sitting) turn into hunting? Just by the tick of a second hand on a watch?

BCrams
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Being from the Kootenays you forgot another great example.....I've heard countless stories of fellows "calling / bugling" long before 1 hr before sunrise or long after sunset to locate a calling bull and start moving in with the hope to be in position by the time legal shooting light arrives. Cruising roads and calling after dark to get an answer, then returning in the morning etc.

hunter1947
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I guess the question is are you willing to pay for a lawyer to fight it in court.

It all depends on where you are stopped. If you are stopped at the start of the dirt road and there is a ton of country ahead you could and it is reasonable that you may be driving to one particular area, I am sure you would not get ticketed. But if the CO catches you coming out of an area and there is still an a hour to go before light I am sure you would get ticketed.

The same can be said for pitlamping. You only need to shine a light out your window and have a gun in the truck to be charged with pitlamping. The CO does not have to wait for you to pull the gun out and shoot to charge you.

BHB

I'm :confused: what I understand what your saying is that I am headed into town from my hunting camp anytime at night and a CO stops me I am going to get charged for traveling at night to my home or a different area to hunt :confused:..

If they ever did implement a rule of this there sure are going to be a lot of sad hunters out there because I would say we all do the traveling at night on off roads.

My opinion is I don't think the regs will ever implement a law of this sort.

digger dogger
01-18-2011, 05:40 PM

I get out of my truck for all fresh cat tracks, so if I were to get out and look at tracks and a C.O happen to be a couple of km's behind me it wouldn't be to difficult to prove it was me and or someone from my vehicle, looking at a track to HUNT(possibly), come legal light.
Again I may be wrong, but it's what I feel is right for me, when hunting cats!!
If there is someone ahead of me when I head down the fsr thats to bad for me, there is always the possibility that a cat has crossed between us or they missed a track..

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree, but it doesn't really clear things up with the other examples I gave.

No you're right.
The worst part is the laws/consequences vary from CO to CO... and sometimes from day to day !

huntcoop
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
No you're right.
The worst part is the laws/consequences vary from CO to CO... and sometimes from day to day !

You've hit the nail on the head, that is sooo true, sad but true.

bayou
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;836413]No arguement there but care to explain, you're a houndsman.
I dont call my self a houndsman thats a term you guys use to define yourselves and i dont really want to be part of that group. Im just a guy that has a couple dogs that likes to follow cats.
I fined a lot of hunters to be BSers/liers but houndsman seem to take it up a notch.
Look at the guys on here that say they never shot a cat but go to a hound site and theres the storys and pictures of the cats they shoot.
Or the guy that talks about legal issues on here and basically tells people to poach wolves on a hound site, more or less says, shoot the bloody things and be done with it. It will be gone within a day, nobodys gona find it and you wont be any more an outlaw then someone speeding on the highway.
To me thats no different then the guys shooting the cats and leaving them. Poaching is poaching and if there willing to do it to one animal there probably willing to do it to others.
So if thats the mentality of a houndsman No I dont want to be included in that group.
I think it was you that said on here that houndsman are there own worst enemy.

bayou
01-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Dont no for sure but think the tag issue may not be right since some areas have a pursuit season, must have a hunting may not carry a firearm and can not kill a cat so no need for a tag.
Years ago there was abunch of stuff going on in the EK and to my understanding they tried charging guys for searching for tracks at night
but nothing came of it and as you have allready disscussed it could pertain to all hunting not just cat hunting so could be why nothing happened. For me everything has usally been driven before I get up Im not in it to drive around all night and to race guys around.

bayou
01-18-2011, 09:01 PM

The fellow told me it was reported but I would say the odds are that nothing will come of it or happen.
As for the CI look at the some of the past threads on this site on how scared people are of the inspections and how they say they arnt telling them the right area they shot there animal in. Its not that hard to tell which MU a cat was shot in but it is quit surprising to look at the harvest report and see that none are showing from that area. now is it the shooters lying about it or internal fudging of the numbers or both. you pick.

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;836413]No arguement there but care to explain, you're a houndsman.
I dont call my self a houndsman thats a term you guys use to define yourselves and i dont really want to be part of that group. Im just a guy that has a couple dogs that likes to follow cats.
I fined a lot of hunters to be BSers/liers but houndsman seem to take it up a notch.
Look at the guys on here that say they never shot a cat but go to a hound site and theres the storys and pictures of the cats they shoot.
Or the guy that talks about legal issues on here and basically tells people to poach wolves on a hound site, more or less says, shoot the bloody things and be done with it. It will be gone within a day, nobodys gona find it and you wont be any more an outlaw then someone speeding on the highway.
To me thats no different then the guys shooting the cats and leaving them. Poaching is poaching and if there willing to do it to one animal there probably willing to do it to others.
So if thats the mentality of a houndsman No I dont want to be included in that group.
I think it was you that said on here that houndsman are there own worst enemy.

Yeah I did say that, why they cant all get along baffles me.

Not sure if you're refering to me regarding cats not shot and a story with a shot cat but to think a guy is never going to shoot a cat is crazy and if one guy chooses not to shoot one, it definitely doesnt make him any better of a man.
Laws are laws and if a guy follows them thats all that matter, things that are said on the internet are usually b.s at best and if thats how guys judge a man by, by the few things that may not come across 100% straight, then thats a flaw on your part, not his. IMO.
Nobody is perfect and most like to have a good time and 75% of what goes on in forums is comical relief these days... if anyone takes this stuff too seriously or to heart, by golly what are they going to do when life throws them a real curveball !
Sarcasm is a great way to put an end to stupid thread and nobody has to agree/do what a person says in their reply.

dutchie
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM

If looking for tracks prior to 1 hour before legal shooting light is illegal... what about doing a 2 hour hike in to you deer hunting area for first light?

or going out and checking for tracks the night before opening day for cats.

What about scouting for deer in the pre-season.

If there is a law against scouting then any avid hunter is guilty of it including all sheep hunters that go into the mountains 4 days before opening day. You have your boots and your gun (dogs and a truck) and you are in the mountains (FSR) and you are scouting prior to the opening day (1 hour before day light) and you are looking for the sheep that you want to shoot (looking for tracks)... I do not see anything wrong with the situation... you would cross the line when you shoot at the sheep (let the dogs go)

what is the difference? I know the situations are not identical but they are pretty darn close...

Dutchie

Laurence_Erickson
01-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I'ts been a few yrs since I owned dogs ,Thank god I was lucky guy with dogsand the guys I hunted with .we ran many roads at night and never had a problem ,I personally ran many cats with only a hunting liecense .I have to admit that while hunting problem cats I ran and killed many after dark ,to bad it is illegal ,thedogs really work well in the dark,the Co's involved ussually did not attend . enough of that rant .RS I am waiting patiently to see some more video clips and pics as they do bring back some very good memories .Thanks for your post :)

cavebear
01-18-2011, 11:36 PM
just out of interest, i have never been cougar ca hunting before, and only time i have seen one is it ran across a road in front of me out hunting and it was gone. but once you find a cougar whether its treed or whatever, how do you guys tell if its a tom or not? is it just size or do they have some specific features to their faces or something? just curious. hopefully someday il get an opportunity for one

On the ground almost impossiple in my opinion, but in the tree you litterally look for his/her sex organs search the net you can usually find some photos to show the difference.

Happy hunting:-D

MountainHigh
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
just out of interest, i have never been cougar hunting before, and only time i have seen one is it ran across a road in front of me out hunting and it was gone. but once you find a cougar whether its treed or whatever, how do you guys tell if its a tom or not? is it just size or do they have some specific features to their faces or something? just curious. hopefully someday il get an opportunity for one

I thought I'd post a few tips for those that are interested some of the factors which can be used to distinguish between females and males. When you can combine a number of these together you will have a really good idea of the sex of the cat.

1) Visual of evidence of sex: often in the tree you can see a dark spot at the tip of the penis on a male...this is a no-brainer.

2) Visual appearance of cats head: mature males will often have a 'Mike Tyson' pumpkin head...it almost looks 'puffy' or 'fat' and often scarred. Females and young males look 'pretty'. The younger cats have longer ears in relation to their head size.

3) Behavior of the cat: males often cover large areas as they are constantly searching for females within their huge territory. This means the track will often be 'lined out' more than the females which may stick in one smaller particular area (ie good prey availability).

4) Size of track: males have larger feet than females of equal age. More often than not a mature male will have an outside to outside (not including hair) in excess of 3 7/8 inches...(please note this is just a number that works for me ((on average)) after seeing hundreds and hundreds of tracks)

5) Size of toes relative to track: males have larger toes in relation to the pad size as compared to females.

6) Behavior of cat during pursuit: males are generally lazy. They will tree often well before a female will.

7) Length of stride (measured from the same foot at the same place): This must be measured on flat ground when the cat is walking normally (no inclines/declines/running cats). This one can be vary a lot but strides measuring over 60 inches are often larger bodied cats.

So here's my disclaimer...
...this is just meant to point you in the right direction. I've put small cats with big feet in trees...Big cats with smaller strides as well. Have had educated toms never tree...females with huge pads...etc etc. There are more factors (some very subtle) as well but this is a good start.

Oh ya...and by no means am I an expert...(just passionate about the sport and have learned from the best).

The Hermit
01-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all these posts guys. I can't wait to get out to run with the dogs some day!

hunter1947
01-19-2011, 03:44 AM
No you're right.

Big man this is what I have been told from a CO in person so true and its sad ,I guess a lot depends on how there day is going if there day has been going bad the outcome in some cases in a gray area you would be charged ,LOL ,yes we all have different attitudes ,CO ,police etc :wink:.

Big man when you meet my little brother this fall he can tell you a real bad experience he had with a CO here in the EK it was all about that the CO did not believe he was the person in the picture on his drivers licence what a story this is LOL..

tankster
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
i came onto this site to read some good hunting stories and share some of mine but this whole site is a big whine fest. who knows the most abotu the law. bla bla bla its quite sad. i see there is a certin group on here that like to start shit. and its a shame, there are some good stories on here but for the most part its a bunch so called hunters trying to get there fellow hunters in trouble

rocksteady
01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Mountain High...Thanks for the info about tracks etc, that's what I have been trying to learn from my buddy...I know its only a guideline, as cats tend to play outside the lines sometimes, but great info......

I can't believe how sideways this thread has gone:confused: It was supposed to be about my cat hunting adventures this winter and now its turned into a "legal/illegal looking for tracks" thing that has taken away from the original intent of the thread.....

Maybe the mods can start a "Cat Hunting debate" thread and move all the non relevant posts into there....

I guess I just have to hope for good conditions, so that I can kill a big old Tom...then I can end the thread:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Craven200
01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
No you're right.

It is called officer discretion and it is used based on the offence and THAT set of circumstances. Perhaps the person is a repeat offender. Perhaps there is a history of that particular activity in the area. Perhaps some officers have better/worse discretion than others. Some parents spank their chirldren, others frown on it. If your kid continues to lie to you, you are likely to to "up" the repercusion against the child. The Wildlife Act and regs are 30 years old and obviously do not account for every possible situation out there. That is why discretion, circumsatnces, common sense and intent all play key roles in these "gray" areas.

Kody94
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Mountain High...Thanks for the info about tracks etc, that's what I have been trying to learn from my buddy...I know its only a guideline, as cats tend to play outside the lines sometimes, but great info......

I can't believe how sideways this thread has gone:confused: It was supposed to be about my cat hunting adventures this winter and now its turned into a "legal/illegal looking for tracks" thing that has taken away from the original intent of the thread.....

Maybe the mods can start a "Cat Hunting debate" thread and move all the non relevant posts into there....

I guess I just have to hope for good conditions, so that I can kill a big old Tom...then I can end the thread:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Apologies for my participation in the hi-jack, but I do have to say that at least its all been civil, and there's some good edjamacational and thought provoking info in there. :) Might even help keep someone out of trouble.

Hope this little cool snap and the snow on the way set things up for a cat-whackin weekend for ya!

Kody94
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
i came onto this site to read some good hunting stories and share some of mine but this whole site is a big whine fest. who knows the most abotu the law. bla bla bla its quite sad. i see there is a certin group on here that like to start shit. and its a shame, there are some good stories on here but for the most part its a bunch so called hunters trying to get there fellow hunters in trouble

This site isn't all about stories. No one's forcing you to read the other stuff, so quit yer whinin'. :wink:

tankster
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
when you headed out again rock.

rocksteady
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Not sure....Buddy works 4 on 4 off at the mines, lost track of his next days off...

How about yourself????

tankster
01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
if it snows like there telling us its going to tonight.. then hopefully "early" in the morning.

Barracuda
01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
everything is mushy down here and through hope . heading out for some elevation in the AM

moosinaround
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Keep on Rockin out there Mike! Looking forward to the eventual "Kill" and I hope it is a dandy Tom! You Hi jackers go and start a different thread as I think the banter about this is valuable, but is kinda pi$$in on Rock's thread a bit! Moosin

Philcott
01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm loving the stories. A cat hunt would be very exciting but I doubt I'll have a chance to go on one so I appreciate being able to hunt them vicariously through your stories. Tough my wife is getting tired of me telling her about cat hunting etiquette.

rocksteady
01-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Been sitting on this video for a while, as I did not have software to edit and did not know how to YouTUbe:-D:-D

Here is a cougar that we chased on New Years Day of 2010, was the most tiring I have ever been on....3 hours, up mountains, thriugh blowdown, sidehills, brush, snow, rock...You name it, we found it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IRb_muM-_U

After the cat was killed it was about a 2 hour hike/pack back over the same mountains to get back to the trucks...

He had a stubby tail , like a bobcat (not sure how he lost it) but his face had character, tonnes of scars/rips....First time cat hunter harvested him, local Cranbrook guy, who was very pleased with his trophy...

ANother video of a different cat is downloading...stay tuned...

rocksteady
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
My first ever encounter with a cougar, face to face in the wild....

Was a pretty easy chase...maybe 30 minutes, through flat ground, open timber, maybe 500 yards from the road....It made me think that cougar hunting was a piece of cake, then the following day we ran the "no tail" mentioned in the post above and the hike damn near killed me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9w5MiQOPw

rocksteady
01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Cat hunting buddy goes back to work TOMORROW...ARGH!!!

(patiently waiting.....)

digger dogger
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
It will happen for ya man, looking forward to final outcome!
Here is a pic for all the people to see what a tom's penis spot looks like, seeing as this thread has ton of views. Just a helpful pic for everybody.http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/lildaves1stcougar036-1.jpg sorry it's somewhat blurry when I enlarged the pic..
Dave.

rocksteady
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
I have also been told, not sure if it is true, that toms tend to go up a tree and lay down, just relaxing.....Whereas a female will tend to be more aggressive, snarling, growling , hissing....

I am sure it depends on each cats personality, and how many times it has been treed that year......

I think if I got chased every couple days by dogs, for a month that I would get pretty pissy too....

Anyone confirm or bust that Myth....??????

Nait Hadya
01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I have also been told, not sure if it is true, that toms tend to go up a tree and lay down, just relaxing.....Whereas a female will tend to be more aggressive, snarling, growling , hissing....

I am sure it depends on each cats personality, and how many times it has been treed that year......

I think if I got chased every couple days by dogs, for a month that I would get pretty pissy too....

wolves harass cats more than any hound ever will. i suspect that is why they are so relaxed in the tree,they are used to being there and know they are safe there.

eastkoothunter
01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I've never really seen a pissy tom. Most angry females I've seen have been do to banging of the tree making them nervous. Heard a lot of stories on wirey females and the odd agressive tom

rocksteady
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Well another cat season has come to a close without me dropping the hammer on a good tom:???: Oh well, its the thrill of the chase , not the kill that makes a hunting season, even though I would really have liked to get a tom....

Went out yesterday for the final day of the season, it was snowing like a bugger...1 to 2 inches per hour were piling up...

We cut a smokin' track just after 9:00, took an hour to tree......

Will finish the rest of the story in a bit...

I'm back....

SO we set off after the cat with 5 dogs ( 2 of my buddies and 3 from another guy who cut the original track) The original set was about 500 yards back heading East to West, crossing the road, filled in with snow) We respected the fact he had stopped and checked them out, continued down the road and found a set going from West to East and NO snow in them. We were just getting set to run when he pulled up and as far as we can figure the cat crossed after he checked the original set by 5 minutes...

We followed the dogs through the creek bottom mix of willow, spruce and other assorted jungle.

The dogs went up the hill, the cat circled back towards the road onto the edge of a 100 metre steep slope......Climbed a huge Fir tree and hung out, waiting for us....

The slope was absolutely horrid... 100% slope, all dirt (no rock) however it had snow, melted, refroze and snow covered again......On hands and knees, grabbing small trees and brush, trying to get up the damn hill......Was 3/4 of the way up and lost all traction, I skidded backwards on my hands and knees in some sort of contorted Yoga position (praying dog, crouching hunter type thing)......Went scooting downhill for about 50 yards, I had my big alaska Freighter pack on and my rifle on its frame mount on the top corner of the frame.....Could not see what was behind me, maybe that was a good thing.....Finally ran into a Larch about 12" in diameter, luckily for me it went right between my feet and hit me smack dab in the middle of the ass.....Could have been a lot worse if it would have been off centre one way or the other....

Another 10 minutes later I finally got my ass to the tree with the cat in it....

Unfortunatley it was a young female ( 2 year old????) that was loungin in the limbs....Very pretty kitty..Due to the slope/timber/etc I tried to get video footage but no matter how I tried, I could not get a good vantage point for pics.....

The one dog did not show up at the tree (???) so the other guy went looking for it, and this dog did not have a GPS collar......Eventually he came back with his dog (an hour or so) and that dog had treed another cat, similar in size but possibly a male.....It came down the tree at Mach III and bailed into a canyon, just as he got his dogs collar (maybe 10 feet from the tree).....

We summize that it was twin kittens (2 year olds) that had been hanging out together.....

So after gathering upp all the dogs, we found an alternate, not much better, route to come off the hillside by.....Basically slid downhill on my ass with a dog pulling me faster than what gravity was doing......Made it back to the truck safe and sound though......

Spent the rest of the day driving roads in the snow storm/blizzard but did not cut any more tracks....

SO there is the end of my season......No tags cut, however was in on a few successful runs, got to see some nice kitties, great country and lots of exercise.....

Now I just have to wait until next winter to do it all again....

Tripitaka
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Despite the "off-topic" thoughts, I've learned a HUGE amount from this thread. For a noob like me, this has been an in-depth discussion of cat hunting along with its politics, laws, regional variances, attitudes, video examples and pictures. Might not have suited everyone but was educational in many ways.

Sorry you didn't get the tom, Mike; better luck next season.

hunter1947
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Mike you will get a big tom soon its just a matter of time and when you do it will be a big cat and well worth the time you spent chasing them ,good luck this fall http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Kody94
03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
SO there is the end of my season......No tags cut, however was in on a few successful runs, got to see some nice kitties, great country and lots of exercise.....

Now I just have to wait until next winter to do it all again....

That sounds like a pretty successful season to me. I didn't get out once this year, and am pretty disappointed about it. You know you are too busy when....

Philcott
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for sharing the hunts with us. Many of us will never get out on a cat hunt so it's been great joining you on these.

Good luck next year.

sawmill
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Tough luck Mike,lucky you never broke every bone in your body!
Better stick to ice fishing,it`s safer and you have better luck.:mrgreen:
By the way,when I tell guys how you pulled my truck out of that snowbank,in my story you drive an F350 diesel.