PDA

View Full Version : Wife's November Cadomin Alberta Sheep Hunt

Rackmastr
11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
My wife was drawn for a late season Cadomin Alberta sheep tag this year. She has hunted deer and elk in the past but never hunted sheep. It was bound to be one heck of an adventure and with Cadomin producing some giant rams we knew it would be a great time.

The Cadomin area is a hunt around a mine site that has produced plenty of rams in the 180+ range and is the spot where the World Record ram was taken. It is the type of place that makes sheep hunters DROOL. For us, we would aim high but be happy if my wife could shoot a ram that was representative of a nice Alberta ram. Its the kind of hunt where a person can hold out for a 180" ram and be successful, but with only 6 days for us to hunt, we wanted to see if we could just put a good ram on the ground.

We had an AMAZING hunt for the past 5 days. Kim passed a legal ram on Day 1 that was a nice full curl (younger) ram. She wanted to see what she could do with the tag. We hiked our butts off each morning and were the first ones to where we wanted to be each day. Had some pretty good weather but also dealt with some nasty stuff as well that pushed us to the limit a few times.

We saw a pile of giant rams on the mine each day, but none of them made much of a mistake. On day 4 Kim missed a good big dark ram on a longer shot that we had to rush. It was a tough day but we kept trying. We got some good video of that ram as well. He was a good 170"+ ram with good brooming on one side and nice full-curl on the other.

Day 5 it was just the two of us, as Cody had gone home after helping out for 4 days. What a great friend to come hike the mountains and provide inspiration and help on such a cool hunt. Its a shame he couldnt have been there for Day 5 cause it was a magical one!

We found this ram as we hiked up a sheep trail to a saddle. We knew he was legal and knew we didnt have a pile of time left. Kim had made the decision she wanted to fill the tag and be successful on her first sheep hunt, so at 140 yards she dropped this ram. What an awesome sight to watch your wife shoot her first bighorn!

Anyways, he's a young ram at only 4.5 years old, but has great bases at 15 3/4" and he is just under 35" on his long side, and about 34" on his short side.

What an awesome hunt and an awesome adventure!

A few pics for now...more to follow....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_4484.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_4547.jpg

The ram my wife passed up on opening day....I was super proud of her to have the determination to see what she could do with the tag.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/PB110459.jpg

The storm moved in packing this guy out!!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_4574.jpg

Steeleco
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Go Girl!!! Well done.

whitetailsheds
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Very nice.....congrats! Great photos!

shantz
11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Congrats! Great story

Tenacious Billy
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Beauty!! Nice work!

d6dan
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Well done Kim!, a ram to be proud of..I've been following your posts on Albertaoutdoorsman and you've have alot of fans.Congrats again on a Great Ram!..

boxhitch
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Good hunt for the lucky draw winner

and were the first ones to where we wanted to be each day.
There was competition ?

coach
11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Congratulations on a successful hunt and a very nice ram!

Rackmastr
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Good hunt for the lucky draw winner

There was competition ?

There are 3 tags per 10-day season and 2 other permit holders out there. One is a Canadian Resident who won a raffle and the other is an American who purchased the permit. Those permits are the "Minister's Permit" and allows them to hunt anywhere in Alberta until Dec 15th pretty much.

So, there were 5 hunters there when we were there, and only about 3 main 'spots' that people go. Not a huge deal as people work together and compromise, but we liked our spot and hiked early in the morning to make sure we were there and settled in. Guys were really good at figuring out and talking about where everyone was going to be.

kennyj
11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Good for you guys. Congratulations on a fine ram.
kenny

Caveman
11-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Awesome! Nicely done!! Congrats you the shooter and guide :wink:

BCbillies
11-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I've been following your thread on the Alberta site . . . congrats to both of you on this hunt.

I believe a Canadian purchased the one Minister's permit for $210,000 and that he is from Smithers, BC. I was informed that he is hunting for his ram right now.

Rackmastr
11-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I've been following your thread on the Alberta site . . . congrats to both of you on this hunt.

I believe a Canadian purchased the one Minister's permit for $210,000 and that he is from Smithers, BC. I was informed that he is hunting for his ram right now.

Ah ok...I of course assumed he was American. He's hunting with Randy Babala and for the past 6 days they've been out. With this new weather we're getting I'm sure some giant rams are moving around!

smoke-eater
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Congrats on the fine looking sheep. When I lived in Alberta I use to elk and deer hunt around Cadomin. Love that area. Some monster elk in there.

Blainer
11-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Great Ram!Great Accomplishment!

Rattler
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Way to go! Congrats to both of you...

ydouask
11-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Congratulations... and good to hear about cooperation amongst hunters.. well done !

IronNoggin
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Excellent! Congratulations!!

Took my very first ram in that same area. Brings back a LOT of Fond memories!

Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
SWEEEEEEET !!!!!!! way to go :mrgreen:...a successful lady sheep hunter..WELL DONE THANKS for the photos and write up..I will be there in several days only just with a camera...

cheers

srr

2x4x16
11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Gotta love those Bighorns!!! After my succesful tag filling in BC I'm hooked on sheep. Love the pics and congrats to your wife. Great job, and way to be patient I couldn't be. For my first ram the first legal one I saw - boom flop. Done

guywitha270
11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Congratulations!! Damn, that is some killer terrain! Way to go!

srupp
09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
when I dream.....I dream of a Cadomin mine hunt..and the HUGE HAWGS that inhabit that minesite..my sister lives in Hinton and some of the photos her rfriends have...droooooooooooooooool

WELL done!!! sorry for the envy and jealousy.....ramtastic!

steven

Movingdirt
09-30-2011, 08:28 AM
I often drive into the area and observe, take photos, and admire. I could care less if I ever shoot one these days, but it sure is nice to see them.