PDA

View Full Version : The best hunt I've ever had.

illbuyourcatfish
11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
September 10th, 2010 marked my 5th year as a hunter, and so far I feel ive done fairly well for myself taking a deer every year. My family didn't hunt and neither did any of my friends at the time. It's been 5 years of mostly solo hikes and quiet time with myself. I've often wished for someone to get as excited about hunting season as myself. Longed for someone to ask me to go hunting with them rather than having to beg for someone, anyone of my friends or family to share these experiences with.

*My dad is my hero, and out of everyone I ask I'm the most excited when he agrees to come out with me.
This past year my dad was diagnosed with an incurable hereditary kidney and liver disease. Not many 23 year old men can still say they think of their father as superman, and for me his diagnosis was devastating. Seeing my father cry (for only the second time in my life, first time was my grandfathers funeral) while telling me and my brother the news surely goes down as one of the lowest points in my life so far.*

This year hunting season comes around again and this time I'm ready with a brand new rifle. This year I'm going to get a buck to be proud of. The excitement builds in the days leading up to September 10th, and when the time comes I'm ecstatic when my dad says yes to hunting the very first time I ask.

We spent countless hours together all through September and October looking for that elusive buck, every hunt as a result of my asking him to come out with me. Dozens of long hikes and early mornings.

Open buck came and went without so much as a spiker for me, which meant for me to get a deer now I would have to break my personal record of a 3x3 mule deer I had taken 4 years earlier. In November the hunts became less about the deer and more about the time I was spending with my dad. I couldnt care less that we weren't seeing any deer despite the many hours we had spent searching.*You couldn't find a happier hunter with a book full of uncut tags in the whole world.

Two nights ago I ask my dad if he wants to go for a quick hunt to which he readily agreed. So we drive for a bit, into the first snowfall of the year for us. We park the truck and start hiking through the snow. Walking quietly with my dad through the trees as snow lazily falls through the branches. We walk to the edge of a small clearing and there he is. Not just the biggest buck I've ever seen, but the most picturesque scene I've ever laid eyes upon. I'm not sure if it was the buck or the overwhelming beauty of the entire scene that stopped my heart and took my breath away. He was a very big symmetrical 4x4, a stunning buck for a hunter such as myself. My dream buck, a buck I could be proud of.

I instinctively loaded a round and put the scope on him, and with hands lightly shaking I took the safety off. I waited an eternity, or so it seemed. Time had stopped, 10 seconds took ten minutes to pass.*The buck stood there, on the edge of that clearing in 8 inch snow in dead silence*. With the snowflakes falling all around him in the failing light and just a hint of his breath flowing out of his nose. I watched him through the scope, watched him stand there looking at us. The cross hairs are on his shoulder, my finger is firmly on the trigger. And then I watched him as he slowly and silently made his way into the blackness of the forest behind him. Like a ghost gone in a heartbeat.

I stayed kneeled, legs feeling weak from the power of the experience I had just had. After a few seconds I turned to my dad who was slowly nodding his head, he knew I could have taken several perfect shots. He felt and understood why I didn't pull the trigger even though I wasn't sure myself. Maybe the scene was too perfect to end with killing the deer, maybe I held back to prolong the season to get more time with my dad. I honestly don't know why I didn't shoot.

We started our walk back to the truck in total silence. I unloaded and packed up the rifle and we began our drive home.

Twenty or so minutes into the drive my dad turns and breaks the nearly hour long silence and says to me for the first time ever.
"What does your schedule look like, when can we go out again?"

I've never felt so proud. My buck's still out there.

And that's the best hunt I've ever had.

coach
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Great story! Very well written. Looking forward to the next chapter.

MIL720
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
and that my friend...has got to be the BEST hunting story I have ever read on this site...spend as much time as you can with your dad, you'll never forget these moments

11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow...you get it, that's rare.

Steeleco
11-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Spectacular. That's why it's called hunting and not killing. The memory of that moment will last the rest of your days. That's worth far more than a freezer full of meat.

Bushy
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Like MIL720, the best I've read here. Deep down you wanted to keep hunting with Dad and not end getting out with him.

OscarMike
11-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Well written and reminds me of my father.....congrats....you should enter that in a short story contest or something....

C

Th0r
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey thats awesome man. You show a true respect for the resource and the experience. This sport needs more people such as yourself. I hope you and your dad get into a situation where pulling the trigger feels right. All the best and I hope you never forget that moment.

Fireball129
11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
That was a great read. I hope you and your Dad get out a few more times,and when the time is right you take that shot,you and your Dad can be proud of together.

11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
That was a great story, Well wrote and damn near made me cry.
But i'da shot the deer :)

303carbine
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
That's the best hunting story that I have heard in a long time, I hope your dad recovers and has many more hunting seasons with you.
As another post already stated, you get it.

island grown
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Great story, I think your trying to make us cry!!! I'm going to go call my dad.

I hope you have many more trip with your old man.

Cheers,

Chris76239
11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Great story, Nice to hear that the great outdoors can still bringing Family and friends together.

fozzy
11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
That was a hunt that you will remember forever.. thanks for sharing with us.

fester
11-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Really good story!!

Thank you for sharing.

lilhoss
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Perspective.It's ironic,at least on this site,..no pictures, yet you painted a great one.Thanx.

boxhitch
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Great story
It should always be about the hunt not about the killing

kodeman
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
That was very well written and I enjoyed the read. My time hunting with my Dad is also very special to me.

Prowler
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Thats the best hunt I HAVE EVER HAD, and I wasnt even there. Very well written.... I lost my Dad 3 years ago, and there are a ton of memories like this with him, and I cherish every one of them. You just made a great one... Well done....

Gerry
11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Fantastic story, thanks for posting. It brought back a lot of memories of hunting with my Dad, who has been gone for 9 years now.

OutWest
11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
That was a great story, Well wrote and damn near made me cry.
But i'da shot the deer :)

You're not the only one!

Awesome story fella and that's great you get to spend so much time with your Dad out there!

BearStump
11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
awesome story man.
After 15 yrs of not hunting for my dad, I was now in about my 5th or 6th year of hunting and invited him along for a moose hunt with my buddies.
He'd been on a handfull of moose hunts in years past but he'd never tagged one. He bought a licence for the first time in 15 yrs and we put in for leh in 5-2. we got the tag and went on the hunt.
oddly enough for the first time in 6 yrs in this region I did'nt get a buck, nor did he. No moose, no kills at all. But it was the most memorable 8 days that I've spent in the bush. another person in the party did get a 2 point bull and the picture of my dad with it hanging has the biggest smile I've ever seen out of him.
Anyhow, dad died about 6 months later of numerous health problems and it made me extremely gratefull that I did get to spend this time with him in the bush first.

Little Red Man
11-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Somebody has some real writing talent......

Great story....

Buckman
11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Great story, your Dad is very proud of you!

sarnold
11-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I tip my hat you you!
great story
one day you will be rewarded with an even bigger buck, good things happen to good people I still belaive that!!

ROM
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you for sharing your amazing journey.

Blainer
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Good on ya!
"10"

kennyj
11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Great story. Really enjoyed it. I'm very fortunate to have hunted (and still do hunt with my Dad ) since I started. Get out there and get a monster buck.
He'll love it.
kenny

islander7mm
11-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Great story. It's refreshing to read a story that is shared from the heart about the real joys of life.

peashooter
11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Gave me goosebumps! Great read!

Glassman
11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Great story. The anti-hunting crowd would never understand you or other hunters like you. I would be proud to meet you and shake your hand. Makes me think of lynx who is having a tough time with health right now and who just wants a son to love. I hope I can be counted on to be there for him like your dad is for YOU. Now I know why I love going hunting with my 2 junior hunters and why they like and respect lynx and eagleye who taught my sons and I so much. Another post said that a picture was not required. I agree 100% because I have the picture firmly fixed in my mind. Would'nt it be neat if a person can experience those times for-ever?
This week-end when my boys and I go out in the woods I will think of your storey.
Thanks again
PS: If you ever want to print this story for a magazine I will try to find some mag to publish it. Not that I have any special connections, I would just like to see it in a mag with you getting the credit.

JonSchaefer
11-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Im sure we all live for moments like that. Great story!

ydouask
11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
So well done Illbuyourcatfish... can't see the keyboard so easily, everything is kinda blurry... damned allergies kicking in. Your Dad can sure be proud of you. Dad, you raised a good one !

Iltasyuko
11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Thank you for taking the time to write this for us.

live-for-the-rut
11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
What a wonderfull story,keep those amazing adventures going with your dad!!All the best to you and your father.Cheers:-D

laredo318
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
My Dad passed 30 years ago, and my allergies are kicking in again???
Something is not right.
Great story!!!!!
Thank-you

Mishka
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Beautiful story, brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing that special moment with us. All the best to you and your dad.

remington666
11-17-2010, 09:02 PM
well done ,my dad is aging and there is nothing more than i love then hunting with him ,spend as much time with your dad ,there is no better a place to do it then the outdoors .:-D

.330 Dakota
11-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Awesome that you have that with your Dad, enjoy every minute. I lost my Dad when I was 10, and never had the chance to hunt with him, so I know how special and valuable that time is.

Rattler
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Great story! Yup there is nothing like hunting with your Dad. Make sure you get some pictures of the two of you together out hunting...

The Hermit
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Excellent. Thanks for sharing your moment, and time with us.

hotload
11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow, just wow. This thread could go one forever,and I somehow think it will, and should.

swampthing
11-17-2010, 10:07 PM
As 325 said "you get it". I am proud to be one of your partners.

LYKTOHUNT
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Well I kinda thought maybe I would not post on here anymore but this is worth it . Great story, you are a lucky guy, I wish I could experience that with my dad. He is still here sort of but suffers from Azheimers and I often think if I could turn back time I would do things differently.

RayHill
11-17-2010, 10:26 PM
That was so cool! Sometimes when you let a nice animal go you will be rewarded with more then just nice animal. That was also a good connection with your Dad you were both silent but you both knew what you both were thinking, what a great experience. That is what it is all about!

illbuyourcatfish
11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Let me just say wow. I'm almost at a loss for words at all the comments from you guys. I debated for quite a while as to whether or not to post my story as its so personal and important to me but you guys have made it more than worth it. Your comments mean more than you can imagine to me and they are all greatly appreciated. I'm thrilled that you would enjoy my humble story about a guy and his dad and I knew of all places it might get most appreciated here.

As to my skills as a writer, I haven't wrote anything since highshool English class! I suppose when you write from your heart anything is possible.

Again I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your comments and views. And I hope each of you can find success this year whether it be in the form of finding a prized animal or life long memories.

Jeff

Darksith
11-18-2010, 05:16 AM
great story, way to appreciate something on a completely different level than most people ever will.

Dually
11-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Best story ever written on here!! Memories like your season will much surpass any wall mount.

Ramshot
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Thank-you for a great read!

4 point
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
That great story sums up what life is all about. All the best to the both of you.

MB_Boy
11-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Let me just say wow. I'm almost at a loss for words at all the comments from you guys. I debated for quite a while as to whether or not to post my story as its so personal and important to me but you guys have made it more than worth it. Your comments mean more than you can imagine to me and they are all greatly appreciated. I'm thrilled that you would enjoy my humble story about a guy and his dad and I knew of all places it might get most appreciated here.

As to my skills as a writer, I haven't wrote anything since highshool English class! I suppose when you write from your heart anything is possible.

Again I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your comments and views. And I hope each of you can find success this year whether it be in the form of finding a prized animal or life long memories.

Jeff

Jeff.....great write up. There are a lot of us on here who "get it" like you do and amidst all the bickering that can go on here it is great to read a story like yours. It kind of slaps reality in the face as a bit of a 'wake up' for those of us who see the experience of hunting similar to you; especially with your father.

My Dad co-authored a rather large book on Moose Biology/Ecology and he had authored the chapter on hunting. There is an anecdote of something I had said to my Dad when I was about 16 and we were returning from a fly in moose hunt. To this day, some 24 years later it's one of the things that made my Dad the most proud as he had realized that his son "got it" and saw hunting for the "experience" it is; SO MUCH beyond the harvesting of an animal.

Again....well written.

Scott

ravensfoot
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Top shelf Jeff,

I got all the same feelings as the others, goose bumps, tingles, allergies. Super good story, I felt like I was standing right with you. I think the fact that you let that one go will be the best thing you ever did and will be your best friend when out looking for another. Don't ever second guess that decision, there will be many and more chances for "the perfect buck". (The season's not over yet)

You can come hunting with me any time you like.

sawmill
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Good call that day and you are blessed to hunt with your Dad,I miss mine a lot.

rifleman
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree, that sounds like one of the best hunts there is. Very well written.
a thousand words is worth all the pictures from your story!!!!
AWESOME

illbuyourcatfish
12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
No part two to this story this year as I seem to have forgotten to cancel any tags. There's always next year!

Caveman
12-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Beautiful write-up. I know exactly where you're coming from. I almost lost my dad and hero early this year. We hunted together for years, until he and my mom built a house in Barriere. Until recent years we were doing our own things. For the last 8-10 years we have reconnected to go on annual trips. We both relish this time together. My mom and wife both recognize this and we have gone off for the last 8 0f 9 Thanksgiving weeks. We have had great success and great times. He is 75 now and still yearns to come out but realizes his hunting days may be almost at an end. Myself and other that have hunted with my dad could care less if he is able to hunt. His company in camp would suffice. He's a proud man and I'm not sure he would be happy with that. On the bright side he seems to have bounced back so his last hunt may be a ways off, this I am grateful for. Cherish those moments, too many take them for granted and regret it later.

bowhunterbruce
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
omg jeff wow did you ever hit a big one in my heart.after a very young trouble life with my dad it wasnt until i became responcible enough was i allowed to go hunting with him.it became the moment of my life where i started to really connect with him and understand who he really was as a man.the memories i have now are all great moments in my life where understanding his real love in love was all of us kids and i was only able to get past his shell by opening up mine on many a hunting trip.he too became my hero and best friend.after the hunting season of 95 he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and it hit me real hard.
through his strengths and dreams i was able to come through those tough times and to this day,some 15 years later i look back to remember every truely great outdoor experience i had with him.
i am extreamly happy for you and your father connecting at a level that only a few of us ever get and your dad truely is a "superman" after all his recognision of your new found passion has become his, if only for the fact of spending good quality intimate time with his son.
i tip my hat to ya dude and thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me the flashback of a lifetime of my dad
bruce:cool:

Piperdown
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Great story, time for another tissue.

curt
12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Well as many have said already that is a great story consider yourself very fortunate for the time and experiences you get with your dad we dont all get that. You are a man with values good on you!!

blacktail_junkie
12-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Great story, this one should be sent in to readers digest to share with the rest of the country. Best hunting story I have ever read, and one that would touch every non-hunter as well.

hunter1947
12-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Very well put wording you put up on this post ,thats what hunting is all about its not about the kill all the time ,very nice wording http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..

digger dogger
12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Great story, this one should be sent in to readers digest to share with the rest of the country. Best hunting story I have ever read, and one that would touch every non-hunter as well.

This is definetly worthy of a publication!

I missed this story the 1st time around, so after i read it and wiped the sweat off my eyeballs. :-) I got my GF to read the thread.
Well her eyes sweated worse than mine did. She lost her father when she was 23. This story gave us both a mushy heart, but hit her harder.
(she really misses her Pops)

Great story catfish, I think the best I've read!
Dave.

BTFever
12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I can really relate to the story.. this year I saw an old 2X2 with snow in the antlers and I had cross hears on it too for more than a minute. like you siad the scene was just to perfect. and I watched it walk away into the timber. then just lay prone for a few minutes wondering what just happened. you would thing a guy like BTFever would pull the trigger every time the words blacktail are mentioned!

I lost my father in 2006 and I still remember how he did the firarms course with us and even got his hunting licence with us. He wasn't a hunter but we went for many a long drive together. Sometimes we talked more than others but at the end of the day its the time you spend together that ment the world to me.

Great story!!!! The non hunting comunity must read this story!

Bravo Catfish!! Bravo!

AT&T
12-12-2010, 10:30 AM
That is a wonderful story. Truly perfect.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
wow..what a story truly from the heart, and that is why i just told my mother in law my eyes were watering from quading yesterday in -30 and she believed me......