PDA

View Full Version : How often is too often?

jack
11-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I've got a few spots I've been working for WT this fall. I'm new at this so it's taking some time to figure out. There are rubs and stamps that are worked fairly consistantly, I've seen does on a few occassions. There's good browse. I'm trying to be as low key as possible so as not to spook bucks. I generally go out on the weekends to these spots. How often do people return to spot and how long do you wait to return if you figure you've been busted?

Bow Walker
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
From all I've read and seen on Whitetail hunting, once you're busted it might take as much as 2 weeks for them to calm back down again. It depends a lot on the amount and frequency of the hunting pressure. Are you the only one in there? How many other hunters are working the same area, or are within a couple of miles?

It's a trade-off. How long do you leave it to let them calm down vs. the chance(s) of another hunter getting in there and taking "your" prize?

wildprotien
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
There is no time limit, some deer will run to cover and back out on the trail in a matter of 15 minutes or so.
Others will get spooked and head in another direction all together and if its a horny buck he might be chasing does all over the place this time of year. You may not see him again ever.
I have spooked deer putting guys in stands and once I left the deer returned in a few minutes and my guest shot them.
I always make more noise leaving a stand then I do entering when guiding as the deer or bear feel the danger is leaving the area.
We listen to hear which direction they run to when we shoot them or spook them, they do the same to us.
Your best bet is not to go too close to the scrapes and leave alot of your sent around.
Also remember the bucks don't need to stick their nose in the scrape to check it they can do that from a distance. So picking a location to sit and watch over it should also give you a good view of area in which the buck may enter to freshen the scrape if he wants to.
Cut the buck off on his way to the scrape is the best bet if you already spooked him .
Good luck.

GoatGuy
11-17-2010, 01:39 PM
When the rut's on all that matters is where the does are.

Should be sitting so you don't get busted. Plan your entry and exit so you don't stink the place out.

knighthunter
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
There is no time limit, some deer will run to cover and back out on the trail in a matter of 15 minutes or so.
Others will get spooked and head in another direction all together and if its a horny buck he might be chasing does all over the place this time of year. You may not see him again ever.
I have spooked deer putting guys in stands and once I left the deer returned in a few minutes and my guest shot them.
I always make more noise leaving a stand then I do entering when guiding as the deer or bear feel the danger is leaving the area.
We listen to hear which direction they run to when we shoot them or spook them, they do the same to us.
Your best bet is not to go too close to the scrapes and leave alot of your sent around.
Also remember the bucks don't need to stick their nose in the scrape to check it they can do that from a distance. So picking a location to sit and watch over it should also give you a good view of area in which the buck may enter to freshen the scrape if he wants to.
Cut the buck off on his way to the scrape is the best bet if you already spooked him .
Good luck.

A great reply, all the info you need.