PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa or Loon Lake

spock
11-17-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm planning on going out after four points this weekend. I was thinking about either the tunkwa or loon lake/cache creek areas, I've never hunted either. Any advice on either? Any advantage to one over the other? Thanks for any help.

tackdriver
11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
never hunted that area till last weekend either, i think you will need some good advice all i found was one deer track and thousands of hunters.

Darksith
11-17-2010, 07:03 AM
both areas get hit pretty hard, tunkwa IMO is thick up top so theres not a lot of area to hunt, and swamped with people down low by the sage. There are big bucks there, but also lots of people. Loon lake area is good, but for some reason Ive never actually been able to take a buck outta there. Turned down lots of little ones, but Ive never seen a stomper up there, but we all know they are there.

Weatherby Fan
11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I sent you a note with some advice on Loon Lake as our family has a cabin there and spend lots of time hunting the area,I know nothing about Tunkwa !

swampdonkey
11-17-2010, 07:51 AM
never hunted loon but have hunted tunkwa lots of area to hunt

Rub
11-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Was up Tunkwa on the weekend with a group of people, and the wife and i didn't see a single deer, but lots of fresh tracks in the snow. Wasn't much taken all weekend but our friend Brandi shot a big 4 point - her pic is in the Tunkwa hunting news, 205 lbs hanging at the butcher. And some local from Logan Lake poached a 3x3 moose, then cut one antler off then left it. Someone saw him and reported him, and I heard they arrested him. Couple of other people seen a few other deer, one other 4 point and some does, and a spike white tail.

hillclimber
11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Most of the deer have migrated out of Loon Lake area. Mostly resident deer left there. Was up there last weekend.

roblikestohunt
11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I would go with Tunkwa..Lots of places to hunt, dont know Brand1 personally but saw her pic on the tunkwa site, One hell of a nice looking buck!!

4 point
11-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Of the two areas you mentioned I would go with the Tunkwa area for sure.

white moose
11-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Lots of deer around loon lake. access getting tougher as the snow flies. -18 overnight gets them moving. Try around hi-hium area, lkots of large cuts.

Bistchen
11-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Great hunting grounds around loon lake. It can be a shit show. Lots of hunters. All the cabins around Loon Lake are packed in November. White moose and the rest. Good hunting, but watch out for people.

11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
to many hunters and not enough deer at loon lake. I have had seen way more deer at Tunkwa, plus the loon lake back road has gone to sh*t in one sopt on the way in.

hillclimber
11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
to many hunters and not enough deer at loon lake. I have had seen way more deer at Tunkwa, plus the loon lake back road has gone to sh*t in one sopt on the way in.

i know that spot you are talking about. there are many more roads to get to that area to hunt by the way just takes an extra 30 minutes max.