PDA

View Full Version : Spot 2 opinions

Centerfire
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I do a lot of hunting on my own and so far have always felt a little uneasy about the fact that if I have a problem out of cell phone range in the bush, things would get very complicated for me. Even something as minor as my truck breaking down could mean a survival situation.

Recently, I read about the SPOT 2 on these forums and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for: something that can send an "I'm OK" message, an "I'm OK but need help" message, and an SOS message if needed.

Has anybody used this device in the mountainous landscape of BC that can offer their account of how it performed? I have read both very positive and very negative reviews online but am not sure if these people were using it in landscape as demanding as BC's.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Centerfire

Jagermeister
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
In February and March of 2009, the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group embarked on a snowmobile oddessy from Smither to Churchill Manitoba. The captain had set his Spot to send a tracking signal at frequent intervals. It seemed to work flawlessly across the four provinces, regardless of the terrain. I followed and marked their track on Topo Canada and Google Earth. There were upward of more than a thousand waypoints and the accuracy was truly amazing. IMO, I think that as a solo hunter, it would be an invaluable device.

tristanmac
11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
My hunting partner has one and we use it when ever we go into the woods. Works great and is extremley accurate. We have had it on the water to thick woods over a lot of BC and has never had a problem with getting a GPS signal.

Deffinitaly an invaluable device to have on you.

Benthos
11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
i have a 'spot 2' for work.

works awesome. love the check ok feature, the custom message feature as well as the sos and need help but not emergency feature.

good investment for the price

troutseeker
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I hunt, fish and hike alone a lot. I have the original Spot and it works great!

Ozone
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Hunting, sailing or motorbike riding. I dont leave home without it. Have probably used the "Im ok" 70 times this year and all have gone thru.

BCLongshot
11-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Juno Beach.........................My Spot doesn't work..............I'm all by myself

Sorry

Neighbour was just telling me about Juno.

lineofsight
11-16-2010, 10:38 PM
FYI - original SPOT is on sale at different CTs in the LML between $80 (Langley) and $100 (Richmond).

islandhunter
11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I've had very poor results with my original spot. I will not renew it again.

troutseeker
11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I've had very poor results with my original spot. I will not renew it again.

You are in the minority with the very poor results. May I ask where you used it?

islandhunter
11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
general princeton area- mild success.
Northern rockies- 1 for 10 or so.