PDA

View Full Version : duck breasts??

eastkoot
11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Have a few ducks from this year, wondering how others cook the breasts. They have already been soaked in salt water a few hours and are in the freezer.

tierodrl
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
we smoke them

warnniklz
11-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I like them best roasted over the open fire basted in recreational beverages.

I'll pan fry them in butter with a little salt and pepper. I also like to roast them with potatoes carrots and onions of bake them loaded with herbs like sage, thyme, rosemary ect... anything that reminds me of the country old style cooking

Kody94
11-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I like to cube 'em and stew them in a favorite slow cooker recipe (that usually includes red one...goes great with the flavor of the duck).

Ddog
11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
best ever----> pound them down until nice and thin with a meat hammer, spice with your favorite spices ( i like onion powder and basil and some seasoning salt) or marinate.
roll in flour, shake off excess, dip in beaten eggs, then roll in some fine bread crumbs and into some real hot EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ,flash fry just long enough to brown the crumbs.
its ok to eat duck medium but i prefer it cooked, but the show i watched had them cooking it pretty pink.
this way is one of the best i have tried.

Ruger4
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
slice 'em thin , roll 'em in egg , bread 'em and fry with a bit of oil, add garlic salt to flavor, dip in honey garlic or plum sauce and voila !! :mrgreen:

Gateholio
11-16-2010, 08:04 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs116.snc3/16332_190613270515_526315515_4383527_8124770_n.jpg

Roast duck breast and quinoa cooked in duck stock, with dijon and jus reduction

spreerider
11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I cube them then fry them quick in oil till brown and add them to chicken soup stock with shitaki mushrooms and winter squash.

swamper
11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Believe it or not, I made duck into pepparoni. It was great. Can't wait to make some more next year.

Piledriver
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Have a few ducks from this year, wondering how others cook the breasts. They have already been soaked in salt water a few hours and are in the freezer.

Hey there "Eastkoot" some great response(s) to your thread. My son did a great job with some breasts a couple of weeks ago. Check out "A Keg Cooks Duck Recipe" It's 4-5 threads below yours. Cheers, Tom.

heyblast
10-13-2013, 11:00 PM
best ever----> pound them down until nice and thin with a meat hammer, spice with your favorite spices ( i like onion powder and basil and some seasoning salt) or marinate.
roll in flour, shake off excess, dip in beaten eggs, then roll in some fine bread crumbs and into some real hot EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ,flash fry just long enough to brown the crumbs.
its ok to eat duck medium but i prefer it cooked, but the show i watched had them cooking it pretty pink.

Have to agree. Used crushed corn flakes instead on bread crumbs, no reason why, and will defiantly use this recipe again.

Rhyno
10-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Marinade for 24 hours in

2 cups red wine
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Dredge in flour and fry in butter, cook no more than medium

Serve with a sauce composed of

1/3 cup A1 steak sauce
1/3 cup of apricot jam
2 table spoon balsamic vingar

Enjoy!

Brez
10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Cube boned out breast, lightly flour, sear in hot oil, put in pan, cover in Orange Ginger sauce add lots of wild ginger stem cut 1" long and cook real slow for an hour. Over rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds. Oyster mushrooms, which should be out in Oct, are great with it.

seanps
10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
We just picked up a copy of Hank Shaw's Duck Duck Goose. It has everything you could want, and a lot more.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/files/imagecache/photo-article/photo/23/duckduckgoosereview.jpg

Field & Stream review: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2013/10/cookbook-review-hank-shaw-keeps-it-real-duck-duck-goose

Used it last night with a goose I shot. We had a goose breast for dinner; the bird's other breast is being turned into prosciutto, and my wife is making rillettes (like a paté, or dip) from the legs. The heart was served over a salad.

heyblast
10-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Marinade for 24 hours in

2 cups red wine
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Dredge in flour and fry in butter, cook no more than medium

Serve with a sauce composed of

1/3 cup A1 steak sauce
1/3 cup of apricot jam
2 table spoon balsamic vingar

Enjoy!

Okay, we'll have to do a cook-off in Nov. when we get out. Yours sounds pretty darn good as well.

Steelpulse
10-20-2013, 11:41 PM
bbq salt pepper rare, quick easy amazing my favourite is teal

Moe.JKU
10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
We usually cube them then put them in a slow cooker for stew, with veggies. Then put it on top of mash potatoes, or cubed potatoes. This year we have around 40 waiting for sausage at the moment then into the smoker.

cdub
10-21-2013, 09:01 PM
We BBQ sear them after a marinade, also have done ginger beef only using duck breast. Only difference is we raise ducks (muscovy) and they are like extra lean venison. No fish or mud taste.

rifleman
10-22-2013, 10:02 AM
this is the best way I have tried also... good recipe Ddog

303Brit
10-22-2013, 10:28 AM
aside from the other qicked recipes already listed, cubed wrapped in bacon and slow cooked, spicy bbq or sweet n sour. Another fav is butterfly breast and stuff with jalepeno and cheese of choice, spices the outside and wrap in bacon and bbq.