PDA

View Full Version : Topo Map confusion

Elkaholic
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I just did a search for info I thought had been posted before but maybe my brain has escaped me. I was looking for info on how to read (find) relevant info on the maps pertaining to hunting. Any tips or methodologies you guys use would be great. I am just starting to figure out how to use this for a couple areas I hunt now so I can get to know them a little better and see what the areas look like.

Hydrojet
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM
you can find drainages, plateaus and natural corridors that game will use to travel as well as water and areas that would "trap" or the game have to travel through at some point. Gives you a good idea of where they might be and if you find them while out there, areas they would come from or go to so you can get ahead of them. Also will give you the info you would need to get to them.

Do you know how to read a topo? I like to start at the peaks and work my way down to the valleys (peaks are easier to see when your in the field)....lines close together are steep and the farther apart they are the flatter it gets (no lines=flat) from there you should be able to "see" the features of the land on the map. The more you use them the better it gets....it's nice to compare a topo map to google earth in 3d.....gives a good idea of what the topo is trying to show you.

Elkaholic
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for that Hydro yes I know how to read them as in what the lines mean. I just was unsure of what to look for in the way of a good area or what other people look for. Your info definitely helps me out.

.330 Dakota
11-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Look for pictures of big deer

Gunner Staal
11-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I use them more than google earth. Your topo map not only gives you a great idea of drainages and draws (using contour lines) but also gives you the exact elevations at those specific points. A topo map and the ability to read one is just about the best tool a guy can have in the bush (along with a compass of course) I navigate by compass and topo everytime im out and use the GPS as a back up or in the dark. Its one of those skills that if you dont use you loose. The topo also gives you a great idea of where the alpine starts if your a high mountain guy.

Phreddy
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Anyone know of the GPS program that shows the Game management areas on a Garmin 60C? My son gave me his to replace the old e-trex I lost and I'd like to load that program on it.

Elkaholic
11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

Brew
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Anyone know of the GPS program that shows the Game management areas on a Garmin 60C? My son gave me his to replace the old e-trex I lost and I'd like to load that program on it.

BC backroads program. 150$ at many outdoor stores

Phreddy
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM
BC backroads program. 150$ at many outdoor stores

Thanks Brew. That's exactly the one I wanted.:-D

xtremearchery
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM

I've layered my map source program from garmin with the MU's of BC. Works justs takes some time. I started with the areas I hunt the most.