PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes, What to do with them??

264mag
11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I have been asked to clean out some coyotes on a ranch near Kamloops this winter. Deer hunting two weeks ago we saw six in a 2 sq mile radius.
Does anyone know who will take them, I have no interest in skinning them I just don't want to kill for the sake of killing. I will be using a varmint rifle and or shotgun so hide damage should be minimal.

Any ideas?

KB90
11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
You won't be killing just for the sake of killing them. A rancher is asking for your help.

Would that not be the reason? To help out a friend?

Save his livestock and better the deer hunting at the same time. Sounds like a great reason :)

But if you still feel the same way I'm sure a trapper would take them from you.

11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
They are like RATS !

Sure it would be good to find some one to use the HIDE .... BUT ........
the rancher likely needs some exterminated because of lose of livestock etc.
They have destroyed the Pheasant population in the lowermainland.

They ARE VERMIN, BANG FLOP !

No questions asked.

CT

264mag
11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks KB90, I come from sask where its shoot on site, in fact its a 20 bounty now. this question actually comes from my 2 teenage boys who asked me to see what we could do. They are new hunters and want to do the right thing.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
If a fur buyer won't taken them off your hands, I'm sure a trapper would.

SSS

snareman1234
11-16-2010, 10:07 AM
If its in the winter, they'll be good hides, why not show your kids how to skin, go on the net and make up a stretching board, and dry the hide out, and put it in the shop or something, they might learn something

jml11
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
They are like RATS !

Sure it would be good to find some one to use the HIDE .... BUT ........
the rancher likely needs some exterminated because of lose of livestock etc.
They have destroyed the Pheasant population in the lowermainland.

They ARE VERMIN, BANG FLOP !

No questions asked.

CT

Keep in my mind even though they are vermin you are required by law to take the hide or give the carcass to someone how will take the hide.
From the regs:

"Of grizzly bear, cougar or a furbearing animal other than a black bear, the hide must be removed to the person’s normal dwelling place or to a meat cutter, the owner or operator of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist,
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills wildlife is exempted from the requirement to remove the hide if that person transfers possession of the wildlife to another person who complies with the requirement."

Once the hide has been brought to your normal dwelling place it's up to you what happens to it after...

I've wondered about how people deal with coyotes...and how many of the 'perfect' hunters out there have left yotes and possibly wolves to rot??

TheProvider
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Skinning and tanning the hides yourself would be a good project for you and your kids. You can also look into seeing if theres anyone in your area who makes hates or gloves who'd be willing to take them off your hands

humbolt
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
We do a lot of calling for them with great success. If you want we would love to join and help out.

Pete
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Right now coyote prices are not very good. If you get over $30 fo an average you are doing well. Coyotes for those of you that have never done one from start to finish will realize the effort that goes into a properly prepared hide. If you have a trapper that will take them then that is the route to go. If you get $5 - $15 from a fur buyer take it.
If you need more infor you can PM at this site.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Right now coyote prices are not very good. If you get over $30 fo an average you are doing well. Coyotes for those of you that have never done one from start to finish will realize the effort that goes into a properly prepared hide. If you have a trapper that will take them then that is the route to go. If you get $5 - $15 from a fur buyer take it.
If you need more infor you can PM at this site.

Speaking of problem Yotes, Pete.... was that your face on CHBC last night??

SSS

silvicon
11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
First of, a healthy coyote population is important for a balanced eco system!
Second: when putting the coyote skin on a tretcher, go for length, not wide.
Also, if you sell them to a fur buyer you dont need the paws at all; or the lips and ears turned.

Pete
11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Speaking of problem Yotes, Pete.... was that your face on CHBC last night??

SSS
Yep, that be me. Coyotes are a very hot button topic here right now :-)

257stew
11-16-2010, 03:44 PM
If its in the winter, they'll be good hides, why not show your kids how to skin, go on the net and make up a stretching board, and dry the hide out, and put it in the shop or something, they might learn something

+1 to this idea,great way for kids to learn how to skin,turn lips ears etc. Then when they are older and want to mount an animal they have taken they will have a good idea how to do it.
Easier to make a mistake on a yote and then try again on the next one then to screw up a once in a life time animal.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Yep, that be me. Coyotes are a very hot button topic here right now :-)

I can believe that. Saw one in our neighbourhood yesterday morning@ 4:45am. Have only seen one other yote here in 15 yrs but I see their tracks left from their night "cat patrols" once there's snow on the ground.

SSS

Steelpulse
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
If you don't find anyone who wants them I'd be more then happy to take a few at what ever you feel is a fair price. Can always use the practice skinning and tanning stuff on my own and gives me something to do. PM me if you are interested

blackbart
11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Cattle are the real vermin in the equation.

Sorry for the derail, but I am a little tired of the poor rancher against the world syndrome.

Does anyone really think that the yotes are harming our wildlife more than the current B.C. grazing practices? How about the ranches that are getting federal money for "ungulate" crop damage, yet they are sitting on prime winter range. Did you know that one of the conditions for federal money is that the ranch allow hunting on their property. Apparently allowing a guide to work the ranch, while not allowing residents is legite.

Once again sorry for the thread derail. Mods may remove if required.