PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 mule deer hunt stumped?

bchunter181
11-16-2010, 02:28 AM
So I went on a 2 day hunt with my dad for 4 points last weekend. now we normally road hunt cause we have my grandpa. but he didn't come this weekend so I took the opportunity To hike, now my dad has bad knees( a total of 22 surgeries on both knees) so we hiked about 80 percent of the time and drove the rest of sat at cut blocks and glassed. I have no idea what I am doing wrong our why the hunting gods hate me but we saw nothing( other than a cow and calf moose and 6 grouse) I know it's a good area for deer what am I doing wrong I am stumped at what to do next?please help!

Gunner Staal
11-16-2010, 06:54 AM
How high were you?? Snow?? If your way up there in 3-12 you might want to check your elevation. Look for sign in the snow. If nothing, they have likely moved down. Its getting later in the year now and the snow is starting to hit and its supposed to continue for the remainder of the week. I would try moving down in elevation. Find the sign and youll find the deer. Dont buck hunt....doe hunt...the bucks are with them now and the does should be on their way down if not already there. Just leave me a few for bow season here in Region 8!

bchunter181
11-16-2010, 07:38 AM
No I wasnt in the snow there was a little here and there but for the most part none I stayed down for that reason and it was just a hunting trip up there I am now back to hunt region 2 so there will be bucks for be season although there would still be even if I was there lol:(

betteroffishing
11-16-2010, 07:49 AM
slow down your walking speed and take more breaks between footsteps. try to make yourself feel like a fool with how slowly your moving through the bush.

Prowler
11-16-2010, 10:41 AM
try to make yourself feel like a fool with how slowly your moving through the bush.

Thats a good one... I walk this piece every year in reg 3, and it usualy takes me all morning, roughly 4 hrs. I discovered google earth a few years back and put the measuring device on the piece that I walk. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was taking me 4 hrs to cover about 500 Mts...:-D
My wife says, "I thought you told me you hike your ass off!!":(

husky30-06
11-16-2010, 08:28 PM
THEY ARE UP HIGH!!!!!!! same problem here for me...that is why i took a big two!

bchunter181
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
k thanks guys

roping_tom
11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Not so sure a agree, I am taggeed for a mulie and im hunting whitetails now but on tues and wed i saw 3, 4points and all were not much higher than the rivers. my .02

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Dont feel bad, we spent 8 days there, saw 14 bucks, killed a dink 4pt (only legal one) and all the rutting activity I saw started the last two days. Our bucks fat was just turning pinkish and just starting to stink, all alone.
Every doe I saw was alone (including a group of 5) aside from one being stalked by a 2pt.

If you left today to hunt I am certain you'd see more.
Good luck to the guys who havent gone yet and to the ones thinking about it, just go.
I cant believe the amount of indians bombing around all hours of the day/night.
Made me sick. So did the moose and deer piles dumped all over the place.

CanuckShooter
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Your lucky you saw anything with all those indians bombing around at all hours of the day and night piling up those moose and deer.:-? Everyone knows that if indians are doing that there will be nothing left.

ruger#1
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Get up before light and watch the cut blocks , Slow down and watch your surroundings, Most of the time the deer will see you first, Do not wear any perfume or aftershave. And most of the time have fun. I was up in 3-30 last week and in one day i saw 27 deer. no four pointers. Was a good time. Even though I was by myself.

CanuckShooter
11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
AND, take that ticking wrist watch off....put it up to your ear and listen...that is what the deer hears at 100 yds in quiet conditions.

mr eagle
11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Just got back from 3-29, saw 5 bucks in 2 days, no 4 points. All the bucks were with does, and we saw all of them walking high ridges in the snow. Way more people hunting than I expected, including some night hunters. Heard trucks driving around all night, and heard shots at night too. Other than that disappointing factor, it was a great trip.

packrat
11-18-2010, 08:19 PM
has anybody had much luck in 3-15? Heading up there soon so any info would be great.

cariboobill
11-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello:

My experience has been that most of the deer are wising up to the road hunter. The animals are there, just not where you can easily shoot them.

I hunted was hunting beyond roads and in the bush after a snow fall and the sign was everywhere. I also stalked many of the deer, but they all were in the christmas trees or old 1st/2nd growth.

IMHO the deer are there in numbers, you just need to get out of the vehicle and away from the roads, if you can.

CB