PDA

View Full Version : Alberta buck - No regrets

Tank
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
After passing on a decent buck while awaiting a 4 day deer hunt with Willyqbc I was hoping to make good on our trip. We were hunting thick bush on crown land with the help of some locals (met a couple years earlier through HBC). They had done the hard work setting up stands in key locations over the last 20 years...all we had to do was show up wait for a buck (sounds easy). unfortunately the weather warmed up and we saw very few bucks. I think bad luck played a key role as our hosts kept spotting bucks (smaller than the crankers they typically hold out for). On the morning of day 4 I was almost 3 hours into my sit on a bushed-in slash line when sticks snapping in the bush behind me caught my attention. This guy and his doe were passing by just outside of my view....a couple grunts brought him over to have a look. He stopped behind some cover just off the line....all I could see was a bit of shoulder and legs. After a minute or two he finally turned his head and I was able to see a tine through the twigs. After 24 hours of butt time in tree stands without seeing a buck, and because it was likely the last day of my season, my standards where low enough that this tine meant he was a shooter. He took another couple steps into the open and I swung into position, after pausing just long enough to make sure the buck wasn't below even my standards (took about 1/8th of a second) I pulled the pin. So no regrets on passing a larger buck a couple weeks ago. It was a good time out with friends and a new style of hunting for me and a chance to get another hunt in this year with Willyqbc.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Whitetail2010-email.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Whitetail2010-2email.jpg

cainer
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
still a good whitey-and the bucks there are big bodied so you should be eating good for a while.

griz325
11-15-2010, 05:56 PM
nothing wrong with that guy at all,congrats

rocksteady
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Hell, I would not have debated with myself for more than 1/8th of a friggin millisecond..That's a character buck...Congrats compadre!!!

kennyj
11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Thats a good buck. Sometimes you have to shoot first judge later.
kenny

David Heitsman
11-15-2010, 08:40 PM
There will be sausage aplenty. Hard sitting still like that isn't it?

(Shoot, I see that was my 500th post. Here I had wanted to wax eloquent on something, oh well, guess I did.)

srupp
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Great whitie..and yes the cold weather would REALLY help get them going..I head out end of next week for Wainright..and mulies and whities and praying for cold weather and snow//

Really heavy mature buck well done..

cheers
Steven

Rattler
11-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like an old warrior. Congrats on a great buck

Ovis17
11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Congrats! I like the palmation on his left antler.

Sitkaspruce
11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
sweet character buck Tank!!!!

Congrats!!

Was he an old bugger or just a goofy rack??

Cheers

SS

Tank
11-16-2010, 04:57 PM
sweet character buck Tank!!!!

Congrats!!

Was he an old bugger or just a goofy rack??

Cheers

SS

Thanks

My impression was that this guy was older and already a bit past his prime. The back tine on his right antler was broke-off near the base.....if he still had that intact and it matched his left side he would have been a neat buck...but I don't think he had the genetics to ever be a cranker.

jrjonesy
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
That's a solid mature whitey with great Mass. Good deer!

d6dan
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Looks Great Tank!, Narly Mature Whitetail...Congrats.