PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone read the regs?

Blair
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I had an LEH for antlerless mule deer in 5-3 and I had four days off over the Rememberance Day weekend, so I thought it would be good to get out while buck season was closed during the rut and there wouldn't be too many other hunters around. Well by the time I got my anterlerless deer on Friday afternoon, I had run into three other pairs of hunters who had no idea that the 4-points they were seeking couldn't be taken legally at this time. They all thanked me for letting them know and left the area. I wonder how many deer were taken over the last few days by well-meaning hunters who hadn't read the regs carefully.

KB90
11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I am willing to bet there were a few 4points "accidentally" killed during these closed days. Many people I talked to were clueless on the closure.

todbartell
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
mule deer close in 7-12 & 7-13 today, 15 days ahead of 'normal'.......CO's will be busy I bet

boxhitch
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Those that follow the regs probably read them
Those that hunt just the way they want to, probably plead ignorance as a defense......if they get questioned

dabat
11-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I was in region 8 this past weekend, and a friend of mine who was with us was very surprised when I told him that Mulies were closed. He is normally really good about checking the regs, but missed that part. Just goes to show that even well meaning hunters can screw up

troutseeker
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Many guys don't follow the regs and shoot whatever they want whenever they want, including at night. With so few CO's out there to do checks and enforcement, the odds of getting caught are slim to none.

Just the other day I was driving down the mountain in the dark after my hunt and a couple of good old boys in an older red Ford pickup with BIG fog lights were going up. It was dark, there were no camps up there and the road does not lead to any communities, guess what they was gonna do? I called the CO service and advised them of the situation, I don't know if they managed to send a CO to wait at the bottom, but I doubt it...

When I went up hunting the same area early the next morning, there were two whitetail skins laying on the logging road. My tracks were the fist ones up that morring and I know there were no deer remains on the road when I drove down late the previous night... That was up Goudie by the way.

lorneparker1
11-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I was in region 8 this past weekend, and a friend of mine who was with us was very surprised when I told him that Mulies were closed. He is normally really good about checking the regs, but missed that part. Just goes to show that even well meaning hunters can screw up

Agreed, My neighbour has hunted princeton late for mulies for quite a long time and was going to give us some info, well i few weeks ago I check and its closed on the 10th, He stops by last night wondering why i havent come over and see him and siad cause its closed. He didnt believe me till i pulled out the regs!

really good ethical hunter, just didnt read the fine print

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Fine print? They have closed on Nov 10 for the past 12 years. :-|

Gun Dog
11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I blame the regs and how it's laid out. In region 5, for example, it lists all the 4 point buck seasons first and then all the buck seasons and it's up to the reader to string all the start and end dates together. Last year was the same but before that it was arranged by date (general first and then bow season). The MOE could/should add a line too "CLOSED NOV 11 - 20".

Gun Dog
11-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Fine print? They have closed on Nov 10 for the past 12 years. :-|You must have special regs because my 08-09 says open in various ways (bucks or 4-points) from Sept 1 - Nov 30. I'm refering to MU 5-1 to 5-15. A few older regs are the same. What's been changing is bucks or 4-points.

XPEIer
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
we noticed that on our way home on Saturday, almost every road had fresh vehicle tracks in it, we were wondering what they were hunting,,,, cant be that many doe tags

KB90
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
You must have special regs because my 08-09 says open in various ways (bucks or 4-points) from Sept 1 - Nov 30. I'm refering to MU 5-1 to 5-15. A few older regs are the same. What's been changing is bucks or 4-points.

I think he means region 8

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
You must have special regs because my 08-09 says open in various ways (bucks or 4-points) from Sept 1 - Nov 30. I'm refering to MU 5-1 to 5-15. A few older regs are the same. What's been changing is bucks or 4-points.

I think he means region 8

I do mean Region 8. :wink:

Region 5 is, well, just a f'ked up mess thanks to the senior bio there. The GOABC love him for screwing residents out of hunting opportunity though.

jml11
11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I sometimes wonder how close attention people do pay attention to the regs...this year I saw two calf moose hides with the entire head left behind in Region 7A...problem with this is that it clearly states in the regs that the lower jaw with incisors must accompany species licence...if these people went through a game check on the way home hopefully they were informed of this regulation (as long as CO's from other regions know this as well).

troutseeker
11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, at least the one thing we can say about the anti's is that most of them are educated and can read...:???:

steelhead
11-15-2010, 08:06 PM

.330 Dakota
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
yes...................

Stone Sheep Steve
11-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I sometimes wonder how close attention people do pay attention to the regs...this year I saw two calf moose hides with the entire head left behind in Region 7A...problem with this is that it clearly states in the regs that the lower jaw with incisors must accompany species licence...if these people went through a game check on the way home hopefully they were informed of this regulation (as long as CO's from other regions know this as well).

Maybe they were dumped on the next trip to the bush?

SSS

boxhitch
11-16-2010, 07:34 AM
If hunters have such a hard time with figuring out the dates, maybe the BCWF should publish a large format black-and-white calendar and supply with crayons to its members, to color the appropriate dates that fit their hunt schedule. Different colors for each species, keep between the lines.......

Ah, wait, that wouldn't work. One needed for each region

ravensfoot
11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
COs were out in force on Sunday on Highway One just before Hells Gate. If someone from the lower mainland didn't read the regs and took a Buck out of 5 they'd be nailed.

I always read the regs. Good for bathroom breaks.

BCrams
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Maybe they were dumped on the next trip to the bush?

SSS

Took the head and hide out into the bush after taking my moose to the butcher!

Blair
11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
[quote=ravensfoot;789460]COs were out in force on Sunday on Highway One just before Hells Gate. If someone from the lower mainland didn't read the regs and took a Buck out of 5 they'd be nailed.

I came down the canyon on Saturday around midday with a deer in the car (legal- taken on my LEH draw) but they weren't out there then.

CanuckShooter
11-18-2010, 03:14 PM
If hunters have such a hard time with figuring out the dates, maybe the BCWF should publish a large format black-and-white calendar and supply with crayons to its members, to color the appropriate dates that fit their hunt schedule. Different colors for each species, keep between the lines.......

Ah, wait, that wouldn't work. One needed for each region

You'd need one for each Management Unit.....I think they make it so complicated just so they feel more important and can justify the salaries they draw.

Fisher-Dude
11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
You'd need one for each Management Unit.....I think they make it so complicated just so they feel more important and can justify the salaries they draw.

Who are "they?"

Deadshot
11-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Who are "they?"

Must be Gordo & his crew.:-D

goatdancer
11-18-2010, 09:28 PM
They are always making it hard for everyone to fulfill their responsibility and read the regs. THEY are evil.......