PDA

View Full Version : 2009 white tail, it was my first.

leftfield
11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
This was my first white tail buck taken at last light on the last day of the hunt. I was out with a couple of friends who were spread out along this ridge. I had been to this spot in the early morning and spooked a few does, or maybe they spooked me. I immediately dropped to the ground but I was completely visible to this one big doe who proceeded to snort and stomp for at least 10 minutes while I just hunched down and tried not to move. To make matters worse, just off to my right and in the bush just out of sight was another deer that was also snorting. Now I know you can't tell how big or what sex of deer it is by how loud they snort but this snort just sounded much louder. After a while of just sitting and keeping quiet I went on a bit of a hike to try and catch up with them, no luck. So I used the next few hours trying to find a good shooting lane for that evenings hunt and set up a good spot. I went back to my spot early in the evening and got settled in and waited. I waited for quite a while, it was getting on in the evening and then all of the sudden....doe..fawn...doe...doe...doe..fawn, I couldn't believe how many deer were coming through......but no bucks. Then something distracted me for a second, I looked away and then looked back.....There was a spike there, or was it...dam ears and brush were in the way...shit. He had his head down and I wanted to be sure so I was keeping an eye on him through the scope. He shifted his head to the right and I followed.....WOW. Out of nowhere and next to this small buck I see this huge rack (insert buck fever) I lifted the sights and the shot was clear....BAM. Then he was gone. The daylight was starting to run out and there was no time to waste on letting him run himself out so I grabbed my pack and down the hill and up the trail I went ready for a bit of a hike....He didn't get 20 yards. What a beauty, man what a beauty. He was a nice 5x6. I radioed my buddies to help get him out, they were a ways away, I told them about the spiker I had just shot and how I was happy to have my first whitetail under my belt. When they finally got to my part of the mountain it was dark and we had to hike in a ways to get him out, my buddy takes one look at him and then looks at me and says " you're an asshole". Well there's my long winded story, thanks for reading it.

cavebear
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
linky no worky:icon_frow

leftfield
11-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm going to try and work on it, man what a learning curve.....

Ddog
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
how did you get the buck in the bus to begin with? :) ;)

leftfield
11-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I'll follow up with a better story but after learning how to resize that pic I need to go and relax a little.

cainer
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Killer Buck dude. Those don't come easy.

lorneparker1
11-14-2010, 08:11 PM
thats a cranker in my books!

sarnold
11-14-2010, 08:21 PM
congrats a hog wt for bc!

.330 Dakota
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Veeerrrryy Niiiiicccce

The Hermit
11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Sorry I must be reading your post wrong... when was it completely dark? Incredible deer!!

Blktail
11-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice 4x3 with brows.:-D

leftfield
11-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Sorry I must be reading your post wrong... when was it completely dark? Incredible deer!!

Sorry, I didn't have time for the full story when I first posted, it's there now. There was still plenty of shooting light but the picture was taken later after my buddies caught up with me.

leftfield
11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Here's my buddy showing his respect, and not to dredge up this arguement but without the brow tines (one is forked) I think he would be a 4x4. Anyway, still lov'n my first whitetail :-D

coach
11-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Very nice 5x5 whitetail!

leftfield
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks guys

beni
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
that's a fantastic looking deer!

I have yet to get my first Whitetail buck :-D

congrats!

Rattler