PDA

View Full Version : Pro cured roe

noahs ark
11-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Just a question if anyone has ever tried using pro cure salmon roe cure before. Have always just used the borax method but was thinking of trying somthing dyed for a change this year. Steelhead season is just around the corner fellas!

frenchbar
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
ive used the pro cure ..borax .ect ..but i like the sodium sulphite the best.can get it at the local pharmacy.

steelheadSABO
11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Pro cure or no cure......:)
Orange

ultramafic
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I have used the procure red double or something like that dont remember the exact name. I have had some good success with it. I borax it afterwards to dry it out a bit so your fingers dont get too dyed.

I have tried the orange too but prefer the red.

Its pretty easy to use, I just got a large pickle jar cut up my roe into useable pieces put it in the jar with a bunch of the procure in and rolled the jar around to mix it. Left it in the fridge a few days rolling it to mix every so often.

When I took it out I dumped it out on a bunch of newspaper to soak up some of the liquid and placed the roe pieces into a ziplock bag with lots of borax so they are not all wet and sticky.

Can be frozen afterwards to save for later trips.

mike

srupp
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I have used both methods..the steelhead guide from Gold River prefers just the borax I like the double red hot pro-cure used it for both steelies and chinook works well just dont get it on your hands while curing the eggs..red fingers x 12 days//lol

Steven

bforce750
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Double red works the best for stealhead depending on what kind of roe you are using.Before curing it cut it up into fishable pieces. Add enough to give it some color... not too much though or it will drie up like a rock. Then put it in the fridge for a day mixing it once or twice, the eggs will turn like rubber. Add borax to a ziplock bag a then dump the roe in and shake it up so it is about 50/50 roe to borax. Then freeze or keep in the fridge...cheers

Brew
11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I have used it and the procure with the krill scent. Works great. Dollies love the krill scent stuff and I have caught a few stealies with it too.

warnniklz
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I like steelie pink on chinooks. Part number PCP. Do up the roe and I like to fish it loose... no spawn net. That's if you have roe to spare.

noahs ark
11-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Thx for the advise I have since bought orange color to try a couple skiens with. Hopefully i can get some more roe as i had to borax my payload to preserve it.
P.S. I should get a steelie pic thread started im just achin to get this season started

Kalum
11-21-2010, 09:26 AM
pends on the water and runs for color but I find steelie pink to be the best overall. I put a little anise in it the morning I'm headed out, deadly for chinook during the hog run and I find if the waters a little murky works great for steelies as well.

TSW
11-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Procure is the way to go imo. Each to their own but we've done really well with it. It's easy to cure, just follow the instructions on the bottle. Oh, and make sure you wear rubber gloves or you'll be pink until next season.

coach
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Definitely messy and definitely works! I've had good success on steelhead, coho and chinook with the double red stuff. Boraxing after procuring helps with the mess and makes it last longer. Good luck and post your pics.

steelhead
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM

noahs ark
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Steelhead the borax method is all ive ever known just so simple not messy its great. Just hopin to catch some more.