PDA

View Full Version : How long does one need to boil the skull attached to the Antlers?

benjib
11-14-2010, 07:52 AM
How long does one need to boil the skull, attached to the Antlers? Got my first buck, second deer of my life yesterday.

Thx

SHACK
11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
keep it a low rolling boil for and hour or so, take it out, pick off what you can and re do it untill your satisfied. A little bit of borax in the water will go a long way to making the skull whiter. After your satisfied with what you have removed from the skull, take it out to cool, and apply a coat of borax mixed with 40-60 wieght peroxide (mix into a paste) and leave it on until it dries. If its not white enough, put another coat on etc.

benjib
11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
ok, i boiled it, cooled it down, scraped off all the matter i could, boilin it again this morning. will boiling remove all the material from inside the bone? not too concerned with the whiteness, just want to preserve it. maybe ill go grab some borax...
Thx

pearljam
11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Where do you get borax??

SHACK
11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Most grocery stores carry it in the laundry detergent isle, its called 20 MULE TEAM BORAX (green box with a little cowgirl pic on the box) Cheap stuff. The heavy wieght peroxide can be a pain to find, ask at you local drug store, this is not the stuff you get in the first aid isle, its the old school bleach your hair blonde stuff! (40-60% per vol)
benjib, use the borax to help remove the fats and oils in the skull, also borax is a heavy duty preservative. About 1 cup per gallon in your boiling water will work well.

pearljam
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Most grocery stores carry it in the laundry detergent isle, its called 20 MULE TEAM BORAX (green box with a little cowgirl pic on the box) Cheap stuff. The heavy wieght peroxide can be a pain to find, ask at you local drug store, this is not the stuff you get in the first aid isle, its the old school bleach your hair blonde stuff! (40-60% per vol)
benjib, use the borax to help remove the fats and oils in the skull, also borax is a heavy duty preservative.

Thats right..... i know ive seen it before but i couldnt remember where....

houndogger
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Wrap the bases of your horns that rest on your pot in tinfoil. Keeps them from getting burnt from the heat of your pot.

~T-BONE~
11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Peroxide is available in 35% h2o2 stregth in a 4 litre or larger quantity from dairy farm suppliers. Mill store in chilliwack or J+d farmers dairy in abby.. Sure if you call around theres others..

benjib
11-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Borax it is. will do another round of boiling here. thanks