PDA

View Full Version : Skunked Meat Hunter Thread 2010

emerson
11-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I'll start. 15+ separate outings of a least half a day with over 50% being on foot, $2700 in gear (getting started and fuel), 7 moose, 30 deer, 2 beavers sighted, not one legal animal. I don't count the 2 small dogfood bears because they are like crows up here; everywhere. A couple of days of work carrying an animal out would have been fine if I had found one. I also apparently used up the wife's patience bank.

blackbart
11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
But did you have fun?

Hunting is usually not about the economics anyways. Just how much did your last trip to Mexico cost?

I have not cut a tag this year, but still consider it to be a successfull season thus far. Having a freezer full of tasty meat thanks to partners success does help ease the tension though.

Still lots of time to get out and try some more throughout B.C. Just imagine if you lived in other jurisdications that only allowed hunting for a week or less - fifteen days spent afield would seem golden to those boys.

moosinaround
11-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Yup, be glad you are able to get out that many times! I don't even add up the bill for my hunting costs vs. meat amount! It would be pretty depressing for sure! This year alone i'll bet I have spent 3500 bucks chasing critters!! Lots of beef/pork/chicken can be bought for that much moola. But enjoying life with my family in the woods of this wonderful province is priceless!! Moosin

papaken
11-13-2010, 08:30 PM
2days Princeton 8days Ft. St. James 2days Princeton 4days Fraser Valley 2days Merritt Haven't cut a tag. Looking forward to more days hunting. I have seen lots of game moose deer black bear even a grizz but nothing legal to shoot. Spent great time, with great friends. Wouldn't trade it for anything. One of the highlights was seeing an eagle pluck a large trout out of Nicola lake yesterday. Stopping a running bull moose with my cow calling was highlight as well. Meat would be great but that is not what it's all about.

emerson
11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I can't afford to go to Mexico, never been. Work will keep me busy until after Dec. 1 this year. It has to be somewhat about the economics for me because of my resources. If my budget were greater, then hunting would be strictly recreation, but that won't the case in the visible future. Next year will only cost a few hundred $ + time; but with a young family that is a limited resource too. Things will be a bit more flexible when the kids are older. After next year I'll redo the cost benefit analysis and go from there. Hopefully I will learn enough to start being productive by then.

moosey
11-13-2010, 09:46 PM
I've lost count of the days, twelve? Distance, two thousand kilometers? Money spent? I'd rather not count. Fun? Don't really know. Hate clearcuts that look like Hiroshima, freezing nights in the back of a truck and canned food. But somehow I just can't help myself.

tuffteddyb
11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Havent tallied everything up costwise for hunting this year but wasnt all that bad.Got paid for 4 outta ten days of hunting,banked days are great!
drove close to 1300 km in the tow vehicle,no idea how many on the hunting rig,untold hundreds finding the right recipie for my rifle to shoot well.
Stessed to the max,worried about attempting to shoot my first moose.
Would i change anything about it?NOT A CHANCE!!!
Is our yearlly holiday and we always have fun!
Getting my first moose was totally worth it!
He's not huge,but i sure proud of him!!!6 points on each side and only 36 inches wide!!But like i said he's my first moose!
Dont mean to boast,but i consider my hunting my bad habit.
It Totally worth it for me if only just to release the stress.
have my sympathy for not getting anything,but you do have to consider the fact you did get to get out and see some game and see some scenery.

emerson
11-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I've lost count of the days, twelve? Distance, two thousand kilometers? Money spent? I'd rather not count. Fun? Don't really know. Hate clearcuts that look like Hiroshima, freezing nights in the back of a truck and canned food. But somehow I just can't help myself.
I know how you feel. I guess I could still be boozing instead. I must also be a true addict; already I feel like if only I go out ONCE MORE.....

emerson
11-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Havent tallied everything up costwise for hunting this year but wasnt all that bad.Got paid for 4 outta ten days of hunting,banked days are great!
drove close to 1300 km in the tow vehicle,no idea how many on the hunting rig,untold hundreds finding the right recipie for my rifle to shoot well.
Stessed to the max,worried about attempting to shoot my first moose.
Would i change anything about it?NOT A CHANCE!!!
Is our yearlly holiday and we always have fun!
Getting my first moose was totally worth it!
He's not huge,but i sure proud of him!!!6 points on each side and only 36 inches wide!!But like i said he's my first moose!
Dont mean to boast,but i consider my hunting my bad habit.
It Totally worth it for me if only just to release the stress.
have my sympathy for not getting anything,but you do have to consider the fact you did get to get out and see some game and see some scenery.
Good job on the moose. Don't let my hunting DT's mislead you; I already NEED another fix.