PDA

View Full Version : Tatuk Lake

BCLongshot
05-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Anybody hunted in the Tatuk/Finger Lake area south of Vanderhoof ?

Macgregor
05-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Hunted there years ago. Nice country and I would say average for moose and the mulies are getting more numerous all the time. Same as any other decent area. If you put in the time you should do ok. Finger lake has a nice place to stay and has good fishing.

ape
05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
The hunting has been a little slow there the last couple of years due to the fire situation for the last 2 years. I think that the fires push the animals out of the area for a while. I hope that there are none this year as the hunting has been tough. It maybe a little better in the Finger lake area but I get that far over mostly just Tatuk area. I heard from a buddy that they saw a lot of moose in and around Finger last year but that is just second hand info.

MRBucks
05-29-2006, 12:37 AM
That whole area is changing by the minute. The pine beetle kill has turned the hills red for miles around. A very strange site, needless to say.... 4 of us hunted up that way for a week last year and only saw 2 bulls, one of which we harvested. The logging is in full force, and many areas were to fresh cut for any regrowth, so not much feed. There is lots of loaded, and unloaded trucks on the main roads, so keep your eye's on the road, not in the bush.. Finger Lake resort is a nice place to stay, and you can fish there as well. You may need to make reservations.

BCLongshot
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input !!! Keep it coming.

PGKris
05-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Tatuk side *had* a lot of moose. The new 600 road they put in from the Bobtail to the Kluskus basically runs right thru a burned out chunk of wasteland. There's been a friggin ton of fire gone thru there. South-east of Tatuk is still a good area but like someone said above, lots of logs comin out of there. If you're going into that area, I would suggest Tatuk and points east. The area between the two lakes is almost barren thanks to fires and the beetle.
Should be some other PG guys around with better info than me....I don't hunt around there anymore.....

todbartell
05-31-2006, 09:04 AM
no moose there

PGKris
05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Nice guys those Vanderhoofians. Real nice guys :D

bruno
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Before you head into the Tatuk lake area stop at one of the radio shops in
Prince George and rent a radio with all of the logging channels. It is stessfull enough driving those roads with a radio. Without one downright
"Scary". Plus if you run into problems you might be able to get some help.
Just a thought.

abbyfireguy
05-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Hunted that area since 1983..Lots of moose, you just have to look for them in some places....If you stay in the truck you won't see as much.....Remember though,,moose are definately more difficult to pack out than a nice mulie:wink: ...
We general get into an area that has some access for a vehicles and hike the small skidder trails and decommissioned roads so when we dump a swamp donkey we can usually get pretty close to it with a vehicle to get the animal out...
There have been a few exceptions where the legs just walked a bit too far before the moose appeared and we had to pack the quarters out a kilometer or so...That was not a barrel of laughs as the grizzlies were determined to get the quarters we left.So it was two packing and one guarding...We won though...:-D

ape
05-31-2006, 05:23 PM
abbyfireguy are you the ones that come up every year with the old army jeep and set up by the chilako.

BCLongshot
05-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info !!! I've commited to going so I appreciate the info. I live for my 1 week hunt !!! Well I live for the wife and kids but...

I'll be at Tatuk Lake resort the week before Thanksgiving.

I've been told by some of the guys at the gun club that it's good hunting but you goota get off your as# and walk.

Keep it coming.

Good news after pullin' a 14 hr shift and probably the same tomorrow.

BCLongshot
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
And I will stop and rent a radio! Tahnks for the tip.

Well I'm signing off gotta have a shower and hit the sack. Up at 0400

BCLongshot
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Open season for Elk any in the area ??

ape
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
none seen thar I have heard of around Tatuk. But I have heard of some not far away.

abbyfireguy
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Nope, we camp down at Chutanli or Tanli Lakes(105 k's south of Vanderhoof)...A few times even further south at Sucha Lake.....
I wish we would have one real cold winter to knock off some of the pine beetles,but that seems to be asking a lot....:(

todbartell
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
pine beetles have done their damage that far south, so a cold winter wouldnt do much. Damage is done :|

TGF
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes definately pine beetle damage all over that country side. I used to hunt Finger lake from the East side when I was a young one with my dads 4X4 club. There was an old road that took you right down to the lake. Very rough in the late 70's. Took 4 hrs from the main road (don't ask me which one now) to get to lake as lots of winching etc. Always got our moose there. Called my first moose on the shore of Finger Lake. Buddy went there 7 yrs ago as he was always returning to that area at least every 2 years. Says the old road is now hard to find. Lots of new clearings and of course the bug kill has gotten much worse.
However my boss hunts at Tetachuk lake and said he was there one week (last year) and no moose anywhere. Bug kill everywhere. The next week he went back and he said there were moose everywhere. They spotted between 8-14 moose per day.
I have seen lots of moose close by Lavoie Lake but that was in winter when I icefished there.
Anyway thanks for the memories.
Terry

30-06
06-15-2006, 06:32 PM
i liek just north of vanderhoof a lake called lucase lake or somthing not sure how it is spelt. i was told it has lots of moose the day before opening we saw a MASSIVe bull and a cow,and then a nother cow and calf. then the day before we left saw a cow and calf was disapointed but there was good fishing in the chalatta falls river

TGF
06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Always good fishing there at Cheslatta falls. I should mention I was icefishing at Lavoie Lake before it closed a couple years ago. Can't icefish there anymore.
I live at Cluculz lake now and everywhere all over northern BC there is lots of moose. Some areas only have moose pockets here and there. You just have to get out and scout around to know which pocket to pick (pardon the pun).

BCLongshot
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
:grin: Good replies keep it comin'.

30-06
06-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Always good fishing there at Cheslatta fallsyeah there quite the sight to see eh.i heard there was salmon in there i just caught a NICE trout out of there

TGF
06-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Tatuk lake also has burbot/ling in there in case you want a fresh white meat meal while your hunting. Just throw out a setline overnight.

30-06
06-16-2006, 07:19 PM
nice that would be good eating eh