PDA

View Full Version : how's the hunting in merritt round 2?

luckofthedraw
11-13-2010, 03:59 PM
A week ago there were a lot of people saying we need some cold weather to move in. I know down here in the valley it has become cooler.....I am setting out next week in 3-12 for my first deer? I noticed on the "fall hunt contest" thread that guys are knocking them down in the merritt area. Is the sign good out there?

Camp Cook
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I just spent a few days there came home 2 days ago weather/temp had dropped to -8 C (22 F) appr 1" - 2" of snow in the higher elevations saw some deer tracks and moose tracks but did not see any deer or moose.

Loads of coyote tracks though...

Was talking to a local he told me only deer that he is hearing about are from the locals heading down towards Princeton there was some comments made about the Otter Lake Rd but he was very vague.

papaken
11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Also just got back from Merritt. 2 days driving and hiking Saw 1 big bull moose 1 whitey doe 3 muley does. One camp with a deer hanging. Talked to a few other hunters, they were not seeing anything either. Took a drive in Dillard on the way home fresh snow, fresh tracks but couldn't see any from the road and didn't have time to go chasing. Did talk to a native fellow and his family who were down from Merritt they had only seen 4 muley does. His friend had just sent him a picture of a real nice 4 point he had just gotten this morning. Wouldn't tell him where tho' LOL. We also saw a great number of coyote tracks everywhere we went. Sorry to say didn't get a chance to thin them out, must be traveling a night, as tracks were all over the roads. Weather seemed to be changing hope others get lucky.

luckofthedraw
11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Good sign that you saw snow. I hear we are supposed to see snow in the fraser valley on thursday. Thanks for the info gentlemen......fingers crossed...good luck out there.

betteroffishing
11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
got my self an old timer 5x5 this morning from the merrit area, there out there. pics and story to follow

Muleycatcher
11-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Was up there looking for a buck for my dad..saw one 3 point, lots of tracks. The rut is on forsure.

3kills
11-14-2010, 10:10 PM
i got out for two days this weekend and yes there is snow and yes we seen a lil bit of sign even seen a few deer. on friday i seen one of the biggest live 2 points i have ever seen and that was it besides the fresher tracks from early that mornin includin a small bull track. saturday went out with my pops for the first tiem this year all we seen was 2 mulies one was a doe and i m sure the other was a buck but seen him as he was disapearing. then seen some whitetails there was one doe for sure and then 3 others that we werent sure what they were. from guys that i haved talked to that have been out lots they are sayin the big bucks are holdin up tight in the thick stuff. and pushin the does in to the thick bush.

3kills
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
oh and remember the otter and dillard are closed for mulies now

luckofthedraw
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Going tomorrow boys, any weather or animal updates appreciated. Going to be in 3-12/8-6.

mijinkal
11-16-2010, 04:56 PM
I went through the lower regions of 3-12 (near Merritt) on Friday afternoon and there was a dusting of show on the north sides of the hills and in the trees.
That may have changed a lot on the past couple of days though.

Didn't see any 4 legged animals, but I only road hunted for 3 hours with the kids. Not many tracks were seen either.

Surrey Boy
11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
In 3-13 last weekend I had some sightings (none legal shooters) and I heard four shots go off, so other guys were scoring. Fresh sign, lots of other hunters.

3kills
11-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Going tomorrow boys, any weather or animal updates appreciated. Going to be in 3-12/8-6.

pouring rain here right now. so maybe higher up will have some snow

luckofthedraw
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. :-D

David Heitsman
11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I wandered around the peaks north of Lundbom lakes area last weekend for a couple days and jumped one doe. Never spent any time there before
and kind of doubt I'll go back any time soon. You keep bumping into Douglas Lake Ranch private and no hunting signs and fences everywhere.

3kills
11-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I wandered around the peaks north of Lundbom lakes area last weekend for a couple days and jumped one doe. Never spent any time there before
and kind of doubt I'll go back any time soon. You keep bumping into Douglas Lake Ranch private and no hunting signs and fences everywhere.
some really really good late huntin area in there if u hit the rights spots and the snow is right

luckofthedraw
11-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Got in from 3-12 today. 5-6 inches of fresh. 3 does spotted and lots of track. 3 Coyotes were working a cut, chasing a deer around. (Didn't shoot one, though I thought about it). about -2 throughout day. Coquihalia was a mess with accidents on the way home.

shamrock
11-18-2010, 03:26 AM
gonna be in merritt for the weekend. Will have some spare time. Any advice on a place to go for a couple hours of walking/hunting deer.

mijinkal
11-18-2010, 08:06 AM
check out the drivebc webcams. It's snowing almost everywhere!

3kills
11-18-2010, 08:18 AM
fresh snow right in town this mornin

DEXTER
11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Looking at heading into 3-13 southwest of Merritt; Gillies and Murray Lake area and west. Anyone been in there this year?

Kudu
11-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Looking at heading into 3-13 southwest of Merritt; Gillies and Murray Lake area and west. Anyone been in there this year?

Been up that way a lot this year - lots of ditch chickens - not many deer though.....

I would go further past Merritt - you should have more chance

best of luck

Camp Cook
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
David my friend... call me I have a bit of news to share with you about the Merritt area and I'm going back Friday night have to be back Sunday night though my buddy that is going with me has to catch a late flight out of Van airport...

palmer
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Just got back, lots of deer but none from the road. A buddy took a nice 5 point in the 160 class. We had to work off the road to see game.