PDA

View Full Version : Grizz in Region 8 above the Coqu?

jessonml
11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
This has been on my mind for over a year now so I thought I would ask. I was hunting in region 8 above the coqu near the Britton Creek exit and was seeing lots of bears and many of them were cinnamon phase. I saw a HUGE one from a distance and decided to move in closer having a bear tag with me. I got to about 300 yards and this bear stood on his hind legs and obviously winded me as he sniffed the air and too off like lightning down the hill and into the timber. He looked so big but I never got a look for the "hump".
What do you guys think? Obviously up close it is easy to tell a grizz from blacky but what do you look for from a distance? Have any of you seen grizz up there?
This is an alpine area where the bears love the blueberries.

I appreciate any and all insight.

luckofthedraw
11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
did you manage to see a track at all?

Ruger4
11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
yes there is grizz in Region 8 :mrgreen: , the last one I saw was about 5 km from my house

kebes
11-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't be surprised. I haven't hunted that area, but know of a few areas in the Okanagan where people don't expect to see grizzlies and they are definately there.

Gunner
11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I had a 3 year old in my yard several years ago,and have probably seen 25 in the hills over the last 10 years,all in the North Okanagan.There is no lack of griz around and they do tend to pop up in strange places,especially the younger bears looking for new territory.I would not be suprised to run into one anywhere in the Interior. Gunner

saddlemaker
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
watched a big boar above the toll booth a few tears ago...reg 8

Steeleco
11-13-2010, 05:23 PM
There's Grizz in there. I've seen prints from Grizz on the Murray lake side of the Coq. I've a friend that watched one walk off with the gut pile of his deer while he was packing it away from the kill site.

natebavis
11-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I personally saw a grizz on the britton lawless 2 years ago at 6km. Prob about 200lb or so.. It had the hump ,area stunk, and my buddy was scared to go in after it(we were looking for blackies) We both said the same thing after seeing it...That was a grizz...They are there!!

Glassman
11-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Saw a sow grizz and 2 cubs up in the Esperon area, not far from bear lake main in reg 8.

jessonml
11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Wow guys thanks for the response. That makes me more sure now of what I saw. Interesting also how most of the blackies I see around there are cinnamon phase.

BCLongshot
11-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I'll guarantee that most hunters couldn't ID a grizzly let alone see one.

Most people see a blackie in a grizz colour. They just want to "see" one so bad.