PDA

View Full Version : ATV Ramps

BimmerBob
11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I have just, after a few years of looking, puchased a used ATV and now need to get some ancilliary equipment to go along with it.

What are your thoughts on ATV Ramps, Good/Better/Best? sort of thing.

Where have you found the best prices for purchasing these items?

Pictures would be most appreciated too...

Thanks in advance, Bob

bforce750
11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Go with a one piece fold up alluminum ramp,they are light weight and very strong. Although they aren't the cheapest, but they are safe and compact for storing. Most of the bike shops have them.

houndogger
11-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Crappy tire has steel cruved fold up ramps. Heavier then alumium but tough as nails. With the price of a quad and your life in your ramps hand they are cheap!

Caveman
11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Go with a one piece fold up alluminum ramp,they are light weight and very strong. Although they aren't the cheapest, but they are safe and compact for storing. Most of the bike shops have them.

Princess Auto often has these as well. Load weight of 1500lbs. Lightweight and plenty strong

bearhunter338-06
11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I have a set of aluminum folding ramps from Canadian Tire, $200 I think I paid. My buddy has a set from Princes Auto $99 or cheaper each year. Yes he go's through a set a year but there only 99 bucks not 200 buck you do the math lol.

branthunter
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Saw some folding ones in Home Hardware at Ft St John that were made of welded aluminum, nicely curved over at the top , and looked bombproof.---about 300.00 and but were the best I've seen--a folding equivalent of the welded ones Polaris makes under their brand.

Poguebilt
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
get the tri-fold ramps... I had a set of single wide and really never felt all that safe loading into a tall p/u truck.... princess auto has 2 sizes.... I got the longer of the 2 and super happy and should last for years!

Rock Doctor
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I just made a set out of aluminium Cable Tray. That way you can make them as long or short as YOU want them, and they are strong enough for anything you will ever drive over them. Light enough to carry with 1 finger:)

RD

r106
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I have the 7' folding ramps with the curve at the top from canadian tire. I paid 180$ I think. If you are loading it into a full size pick-up 4x4 I wouldn't get anything shorter than 7'. As mentioned keep an eye out at princess auto, they usually have a sale on them once in a while.

Make sure you tie them to your hitch or bumper so they don't kick out.

Here's the link to the ones I have http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Powersports/Ramps/PRD~0407820P/Steel%252BLoading%252BRamp.jsp?locale=en

TylerMc44
11-13-2010, 07:17 PM
moose 7 foot bi fold are strong and reliable , they run bout 250 bucks

knighthunter
11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Whatever one's you decide to buy, make sure they'll hold up the weight of your quad without bending. Them $99 arn't the ones. I had the trifold one when I had my 250 Big Red and my 350 Big Bear and I say for anything bigger/heavier, go with the heaviest weight strength you can find.

goatdancer
11-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Whatever one's you decide to buy, make sure they'll hold up the weight of your quad without bending. Them $99 arn't the ones. I had the trifold one when I had my 250 Big Red and my 350 Big Bear and I say for anything bigger/heavier, go with the heaviest weight strength you can find.

X2 Always allow at least a 50% extra rating for the weight of your machine, including operator. A smaller ATV and rider and gear would probaly weigh close to 1000 lbs so don't scrimp just because they're cheaper.

wolverine
11-13-2010, 08:19 PM
The aluminum ones are nice and light but quite pricey but they are the way to go if cost isn't an issue. If you want to save quite a few quid get the folding steel ramps that are arched from Princes Auto. Super strong for loading onto tailgates and most importantly, they come with rachetting cinches to hold them to the tailgate and won't blow out and drop you when unloading and loading. Also remember to alway put the ATV in 4 wheel drive when loading and unloading to prevent the ramps from spinning out, which they won't if you have them cinched into the tailgate.

Little heavier than aluminum but tough as hell and cheaper.

Rattler
11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Princess Auto often has these as well. Load weight of 1500lbs. Lightweight and plenty strong

I purchased the 72" tri folding aluminum ramp with chain tie downs for $150 at Princess Auto. Max load rating is 1500lbs. Love them so far...

knighthunter
11-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I purchased the 72" tri folding aluminum ramp with chain tie downs for $150 at Princess Auto. Max load rating is 1500lbs. Love them so far...

Mine are 66 inch so the incline would be rather steep for loading on a lifted truck. Mine are also slotted so that by adding plywood they can be used for loading snowmobiles.

.330 Dakota
11-14-2010, 01:51 AM
I use nature ramps, ditches banks etc. They are everywhere and seem to be free and very sturdy

Benthos
11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
i also have the tri-fold aluminum ramps from princess auto. reg price is around 189ish, but often go on sale for 139.

used them for a few years now and very happy with them.

if you buy from a dealership, you'll be paying quite a bit more for the same thing.

Mountain Hunter
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
These are tri-folding aluminum ramps. The ATV is a 450cc machine. They work great.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ATV_ramp.jpg
note the cable lock attached to the hitch

BimmerBob
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the info on these guys, much appreciated. I am liking the Princess Auto Tri-Fold units, just trying to decide on the length now (and waiting for a sale!).

boxhitch
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
One set of tri-folds were on sale last week, may still be.
often you can get the sale price soon after it is over.

Maybe rated at 1500# but realistically feel like only 1000#

coyotebc
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Crappy tire has steel cruved fold up ramps. Heavier then alumium but tough as nails. With the price of a quad and your life in your ramps hand they are cheap!
Used mine 4 times and they are bending sideways.
Don't know why as they have never slipped

knighthunter
11-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the info on these guys, much appreciated. I am liking the Princess Auto Tri-Fold units, just trying to decide on the length now (and waiting for a sale!).

You can borrow mine if you want to try them out to see if their long enough, or if you need a longer set. Call me whenever.

knighthunter
11-23-2010, 11:25 PM
These are tri-folding aluminum ramps. The ATV is a 450cc machine. They work great.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ATV_ramp.jpg
note the cable lock attached to the hitch

Mine are much the same as these, except for the finger's holding it onto the tailgate. I also kept mine cable-locked to the hitch. Bought mine at PA also. I've had mine for about 5 years.

whitetailsheds
11-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Bought a set of tri-fold ramps from Peavey Mart.......pins holding the hinges together rattle out all the time.