PDA

View Full Version : More on southern area grizzlies

Big Lew
11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Most of the logged areas have regrown now, but about 30 years ago, on the east side of Stave lake, then behind a gate, while hiking by kenyon lake, I bumped into 2 excited and scared young fellows that had come face to face with a big grizzly. One of them had a 30-30, and had taken a shot at it, but it ran away. When I asked them if they had gone over to see if they had hit it, their response was...hell no!, it was huge!, we're not stupid enough to commit suicide! I'm not going to say what I said to them, but after cooling down, I went over to where they said it stood, and, sure enough there were large grizzly tracks. I searched all around the area, including following the tracks for several hundred yards without seeing any tissue or blood....determined the young shooter probably had "buck fever" and missed. Since then, when hiking in the upper Stave River system over the years, I have seen grizzly tracks twice, (Also several cougars, one being by far the largest Tom I've ever seen, and one wolverine)

Gateholio
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I have no doubt that grizzlies inhabit "grizzly free" areas.

Their population is growing,and it's good to see. I'm excited that there are more grizzlies in the Pemberton area, been seeing more and more of them.

Bistchen
11-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Gatehouse, saw a few in 316 in early September. One was collared.

Big Lew
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I have no doubt that grizzlies inhabit "grizzly free" areas.

Their population is growing,and it's good to see. I'm excited that there are more grizzlies in the Pemberton area, been seeing more and more of them.
My Wife and I were up high, north-west of Pemberton, in the volcanic area above where people are mining pumice a couple of years ago, and had a mature grizzly circle behind and between us. I could see my Wife below me picking dried flowers unaware of the bear....fortunately, she heard my whistle, understood my signals, and got back down to the truck.

Gateholio
11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
My Wife and I were up high, north-west of Pemberton, in the volcanic area above where people are mining pumice a couple of years ago, and had a mature grizzly circle behind and between us. I could see my Wife below me picking dried flowers unaware of the bear....fortunately, she heard my whistle, understood my signals, and got back down to the truck.

Always been a small population of grizz down there, but it seems thier numbers are increasing. Good to see!:-Dhnnnnnnnnnnnn

elkhunter1
11-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Always been a small population of grizz down there, but it seems thier numbers are increasing. Good to see!:-Dhnnnnnnnnnnnn

Saw Griz at Samson Creek. 09.

BigMoosey
11-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Nice now to see them on Vancouver Island.

adamgarbett
11-19-2010, 06:42 AM
How is the grizzly population in 8-8 and surrounding areas?