yukon john
11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Good? Bad? Ugly? Anyone have a blue heeler, we are looking at one

yukon john
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Nobody?.............

Kasomor
11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Do a search on this forum on Blue Heelers and or/ Australian Cattle dogs......lots of information has been posted. :)

scope
11-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Great dogs! lots of friends have them! look into labordoodles, even better dogs if you ask me!

slicky72
11-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Great dogs, they are up for just about anything but they are a lot of work. Not hard to train but they absorb training like a sponge and are looking for more. Mine is a year old now and has no off switch, she is well behaved but doesn't laze around like some breeds. If you are looking for a hiking partner or a camp buddy they are hard to beat.

Kevin So
11-13-2010, 03:56 AM
I have a seven year old heeler, hardy, smart, loyal and definitely a herding /working dog to the max. Tough as nails and basically a large dog in a med size body. Lots of work, not a novice dog owner type of dog. They need a owner that understands dogs and not a typical domesticated breed.
not typically a cuddly dog as they are bred to work more independently in the out back of Australia (Australian Cattle Dog)
with lots of socialization, they can be good with other dogs and kids. neglect that and you''ll have dog aggressive dog.

I personally love the breed and would have no other, but hate to see more and more of them get sent to the pound when the owners have different expectation of them.

First and foremost a working dog, no work or challenges = trouble. if its going to be a companion, he/she will want to be with you like a shadow.

without on and on about it, I love them. pm me if you have any other questions.

Brambles
11-13-2010, 05:48 AM
mine is a couch potato,

chilcotin hillbilly
11-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I have never own them but there are lots here in the Chilcotin. From the ones I have been around I would never own one. If I wanted a dog that is that cement headed I would own a hound. :-D

spear
11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I've got one, year and a half old. dont think I'll ever get a different breed.
They can be a handfull but you'll never be less than impressed with intelligence and drive.
If I can only convince my wife to get a second one :)