PDA

View Full Version : Chehalis River Valley

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Is this area worth hunting?

bandit
11-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I fished there a couple of weeks back. Saw a lot of very fresh bear prints, but the bush is so thick it would be hard to find them without making too much noise plus they would have been gorging on dead chums anyway. There are a fair few mallard in the area too although this may require a pincer movement from 2 or more hunters - we never got closer than 70 metres before they took off. Didnt see any deer tracks though.

Oh and be careful of fishermen, a couple of anglers we saw were presumably breaking the rules as they were trying to hide from us as we walked through the bush!

bc_buckshot
11-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I tried to hunt that area once and will never go again.Unless you can stop people racing up and down the roads with trucks and atv, find deer would be hard.They were doing some logging there when I went and don't know what its llke now.

tackdriver
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I take one up there every year, been hunting it since i was a kid. they are there, find a patch of fir timber and go for a hike.

Deer_Slayer
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks. I'll be headed up there for a looky loo.

Deer_Slayer
11-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Well I got my answer today and I agree with one post. Not worth hunting. Bush is so thick and overgrown and cutblocks are choked with downed crap. Needs a good forest fire to rip through and clean it up. No tracks of anything for miles and miles except for a set of cat tracks heading out of the territory, and I think signs of it's tongue dragging in snow from starvation! Tangled mess. :evil:

tackdriver
11-20-2010, 12:05 PM
funny you should say there is no deer, i passed up a 2 point up there today, like i said they are there just not easy to find. The key is the fir timber, not hemlock or balsam. Seen more sign down low than up high.

SteadyGirl
11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Well I got my answer today and I agree with one post. Not worth hunting. Bush is so thick and overgrown and cutblocks are choked with downed crap. Needs a good forest fire to rip through and clean it up. No tracks of anything for miles and miles except for a set of cat tracks heading out of the territory, and I think signs of it's tongue dragging in snow from starvation! Tangled mess. :evil:

seen cats take a few steps , lick up some snow take a few more steps , lick up some snow, but you never know maybe the poor thing was starved. deer will do that too, saves going for water as often and avoides dealing with iced up creek and river banks.

there are better places to hunt then chehalis, the local natives harvest any deer they see and have for years and years

Deer_Slayer
12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah that's what I figured but didn't wanna say it. The reserve is just down below and we did run into a couple of Native guys hunting...oh well.

live-for-the-rut
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
There are lots of nice deer in that area,you just have to go for a hike they are definitly in there though!!!good luck

xcaribooer
12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
when there is a certain user group in the area that can take deer all year, bucks or does then it will keep the local numbers down , its hard enough finding blacktail even in perfect conditions without this onesided competition.

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 12:42 AM
I was there fishing on the weekend. Saw "relatively" fresh bear scat.
I don't see any no shooting areas in the Synopsis in 2-19.
Are there any areas off limits?
There is a brazillion ducks in the marsh.

Steeleco
10-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Up on top there's the Hemlock ski hill and a few institutions in and around the area, other than that, you good to go.

lip_ripper00
10-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I was there fishing on the weekend. Saw "relatively" fresh bear scat.
I don't see any no shooting areas in the Synopsis in 2-19.
Are there any areas off limits?
There is a brazillion ducks in the marsh.

Go shoot some, this time of year it's like a full meal deal ...... looks like duck tastes like fish:mrgreen:

Brew
10-28-2013, 09:13 AM
I have seen some tanks taken out of there. You have to hike way up and get in the old fir stands to get them.

Fella
10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
X2 on hiking. It's steep and nasty but once off the roads there is a lot of sign.

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Go shoot some, this time of year it's like a full meal deal ...... looks like duck tastes like fish:mrgreen:

The river is so low and fish can't get up right now. I have never seen so many coho and not be able to catch any. Harrison Bay and Hatzic have no water to speak of.
Ducks are a plenty in the marsh. I think I'm going back this weekend. It's going to rain and it will be an absolute gong show but hey it is what it is.

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Up on top there's the Hemlock ski hill and a few institutions in and around the area, other than that, you good to go.

Thx, yeah I was surprised I didn't see anyone hunting. "One area" around Lougheed hwyI saw so many ducks I almost think they know we can't touch them there.