PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Question

Little Red Man
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Could have been asked and answered, but did a search and never found what I was looking for. Where I used the live, we could "pattern" both white tails and muleys, but here (Region 3 near SA) the muley's allude me.

Anyway, been pounding region 3 near home pretty hard. Right toward the very end of October, I found a beautiful spot near the 1500 meter mark that was completely overrun with deer sign.

Got out last Sunday with a game plan and came soooooooo close to getting a nice 4 point, it almost made me cry when he moved off before I could ID him and get the scope on him.

Anyway, went back to the same spot yesterday, and there was not ONE fresh print (good fresh snow), let alone any other fresh sign. I suppose that hunting pressure may have moved them off, but I have also heard of folks talking about how the muleys "migrate" from up high to (presumably) lower elevation.

So, my question is, at this time of year are the muleys STILL migrating and heading for lower elevations (especially with the new snow)??

Any help appreciated.

Jelvis
11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Deer are down about 3900 feet and below now, imho, on the north side of ridges and bowls. Keep hunting where you see does and you might catch a buck lurking around.
JP .. Good luck keep looking and ye shall find ..

boxhitch
11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Hunted the week up at 1500 to 1600 +-, east of here. Less than 20 cms. of snow. Lots of fresh sign on closing day, so I would say still high. The does are still there, so will the bucks be.
There were lots of tracks in the two week old snow, but not so many in the 4 hr old. Go figure ;)