PDA

View Full Version : First Buck Down!!!!

Sonof000Buck
11-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey, well today was a very exciting day . I went out with my dad for a remembrance day hunt and with in the first 15 minutes we had seen a nice doe quickly run across the road. Later on we spooked up 2 more but then slowly moved on into bigger areas for more deer . When we eventually got tired of that we decided it's time to go to the doe zone . Well all worked out for us, I mean it was great . We slowly made our way up the hills and found a MASSIVE doe and couldn't get a shot off because of the fog. Well later deciding to move on we go to the top of the hill, and on the way back we spot 2 does . Well my it's my dad turn to shoot so he lines up and takes a crack at a doe. Deer down. At around 10 Am, so we decide still 7 hours of light let's go get another one. More opportunitys came across for a doe shot but never bothered for one. Eventually making our way up this hill on our quad just checking small slashes we come across 3 deer, all seemingly does. Big enough for a shot so it's my turn . I take the .12 gauge and line the biggest and farthest one away from us, standing on a rock staring at us. Well I line up at this deer thinking it's a doe. And take a shot . BOOM flop, it goes down. It's still alive about to take another shot, but it's down and died about 5 seconds after thinking of another shot. Well we look down for ways to get to it, hey look! 1 more deer standing in the sallal. Oh cool, well we're tagged out anyways. Just on the way down the hill into the brush one more walks out.. Another deer, that's where the third one came in . But hey we're going after the dead one so we walk over and my dad gets to this deer before me. And says "That's a BUCK!" I personally thought he was just joking but when I got there sure enough there was spikes on him, 3 1/2 inches long. Well, that sure was a heck of a hunt. great for my first deer at 55 yards with a shotgun.

No pictures yet, but can take some.

Caveman
11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Sounds like a good hunt with dad. Good Job

Dragginbait
11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
CONGRATS to you and your dad. WTG.

mklaver
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Congrats on the fine hunt.

I am curious - I am a new hunter (waterfowl) and I have a 12g pump. I notice you dropped your buck with a shotgun - what ammo were you using? I have an offer from a deer hunting buddy to go out next season.......

Sonof000Buck
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Congrats on the fine hunt.

I am curious - I am a new hunter (waterfowl) and I have a 12g pump. I notice you dropped your buck with a shotgun - what ammo were you using? I have an offer from a deer hunting buddy to go out next season.......

I use a .000 Buck shot . With my .12 gauge pump. It works just fine (; 9 Pellets. And they don't spread a ridiculous amount, with the deer I got yesterday I hit it in the heart, and double lung shot, neck and in the head. It was a fast kill .

mklaver
11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I use a .000 Buck shot . With my .12 gauge pump. It works just fine (; 9 Pellets. And they don't spread a ridiculous amount, with the deer I got yesterday I hit it in the heart, and double lung shot, neck and in the head. It was a fast kill .

Nice! Thanks for the info.