PDA

View Full Version : Spike Fork Moose days before closing

Bushy
11-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Dry weather with no snow made for tough tracking this year, steps in puddles were some of the only signs one could find besides the occasional sighting of moose.

Every morning up to the hills hoping there may of been a snowfall up higher but only a dusting of a cm last Tuesday at 5500 ft. with not a single moose track, just lots of deer, coyotes, wolves and rabbits tracks. Warm temps of the fall didn't help either, but they need to feed and move to feeding areas daily from the sticks where they hide by day, venture out at nightfall until early morning where they move back to the timbers. With only days left the pressure was on to find one of two spikes sighted before season opening, tired of searching for them I choose another area for them yesterday.

Today I almost took the morning off but decided to get out for an hour or two before work thinking if your not out there you'll get nothing so off I went, short walk and bump into a family of three and off they ran only to stop and all turn broadside after 100 yards, in the mix this 1 X 2's feet were in the air after a boiler room shot and the work began.
The freezer is going to look better now!

RB

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/news/data/upimages/RichImmy.jpg

lip_ripper00
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Dry weather with no snow made for tough tracking this year, steps in puddles were some of the only signs one could find besides the occasional sighting of moose.

Every morning up to the hills hoping there may of been a snowfall up higher but only a dusting of a cm last Tuesday at 5500 ft. with not a single moose track, just lots of deer, coyotes, wolves and rabbits tracks. Warm temps of the fall didn't help either, but they need to feed and move to feeding areas daily from the sticks where they hide by day, venture out at nightfall until early morning where they move back to the timbers. With only days left the pressure was on to find one of two spikes sighted before season opening, tired of searching for them I choose another area for them yesterday.

Today I almost took the morning off but decided to get out for an hour or two before work thinking if your not out there you'll get nothing so off I went, short walk and bump into a family of three and off they ran only to stop and all turn broadside after 100 yards, in the mix this 1 X 2's feet were in the air after a boiler room shot and the work began.
The freezer is going to look better now!

RB

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/news/data/upimages/RichImmy.jpg

Nice going! going to be good eats. When you said a family of three, was the bull hanging with the cow, or was it a cow and 2 calves?

buckwild76
11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
good eats! congrats.

Bushy
11-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice going! going to be good eats. When you said a family of three, was the bull hanging with the cow, or was it a cow and 2 calves?
Cow and two calves, first sight it appeared like three cows as the calves were close to the same size, difficult to ID but they stood for a few minutes giving a good opportunity to verify.

lip_ripper00
11-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Cow and two calves, first sight it appeared like three cows as the calves were close to the same size, difficult to ID but they stood for a few minutes giving a good opportunity to verify.

Thanks, I was wondering if the cow was still open, and this was her next cycle.

lip_ripper00
11-11-2010, 10:24 PM
My next question is: was 2 bull calves? and EXACTLY where did you see them:mrgreen::mrgreen:

BigSlapper
11-12-2010, 12:32 AM
a big "ATTA BOY" Richie Rich! .... Buck's gonna love the bones!

johnk
11-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Good job Rich. Glad you persevered!

Piperdown
11-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Hey Bigslapper, i thought it may have been you, good one Rich see you guys Sunday!

BigfishCanada
11-12-2010, 08:25 AM
RICH!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO YOU LUCKY SOB!!!!! Well I guess its not luck when you pound the crap out of that bush huh!!

Great job, and Good eats!

I still have till the end of Nov if you wanna look for big bulls up my way!!!

cainer
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
WAY TO GO YOU LUCKY SOB!!!!!
Great job, and Good eats!

took the words right outta my mouth. down to the wire and makes good.