PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Near Princeton

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone else encounter any Grizzly near Coalmont..near Princeton? I was hunting other day and near dark was walking back to camp when I looked back and I saw a big bear following my trail about 60 yards back. I had a black bear tag and stopped and began raising my rifle when I realized this was no black bear but a very robust Grizzly. This bear saw me and tensed up and I thought holy crap it's gonna charge, but after a 30 second stand off it turned and bolted back down the logging road (Cook Creek Forestry Road) Needless to say I was shocked, and just wonder if anyone else has seen any Grizz in this area. I know an effort has been in the works to re-establish the North Cascades Grizzly population, so maybe it's working, or have Grizzly always been in this area?

Kirby
11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I saw a Grizzly just north west of there a couple of years ago.

30-06
11-11-2010, 09:47 PM
there around , not very abundant tho , mainly in the highcountry by kelly peaks but theres some scattered all around

lovemywinchester
11-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I heard there was a Grizz hanging around Leighton Lk/Tunkwa area this summer. I saw one three summers ago in Plateau lake as well. It came out of the bush and walked into the lake in the middle of the afternoon. They are around.

Iron Glove
11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
We have a place in Tulameen right on the river.
Two years ago late summer we took 4 dogs across the river for a hike and maybe 3/4 km from our place we saw a bear, maybe 100 m. up the trail we were on.
Quick look at it, told the wife we were heading home in a hurry 'cause it was a small grizzly. Just lucky none of the dogs saw it.
Wife now insists I carry a gun when we hike.
They are rare in the area but yep, they are there.

bc_buckshot
11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I saw what I still think was a grizz in princeton while taking lil bro for youth season bucks.At frist I thought it was just a huge brown bear and was going to take it but I thought bears weren't open yet and didn't have the regs on me so we left it. Good thing I went with my gut feeling

Brambles
11-11-2010, 11:34 PM
When you travel on Clear grizzly bear migratory trails you gotta expect these encounters...

markt308
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Never seen a grizz around there, good to know . thanks for posting

SHACK
11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
I saw one up on the slashes at the corner of Tulameen river road and the turn off to the Coq/Murphy Lks. about 15 years ago. Also saw one near Loadstone Lk. about a year later by the corals just down from the lake. They are definetly around, and have been for a long time. Just few and far between.

johnk
11-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Regular sightings on Thynne Mountain. Andys Lake "used" to be a favourite fishing hole!

Caveman
11-12-2010, 07:04 AM
When you travel on Clear grizzly bear migratory trails you gotta expect these encounters...

Listen to "Treadwell Brambles" he speaks from experience. :wink:

30-06
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
i seen one last season up whipsaw/Lamonte early september running through a cutblock

Big Lew
11-12-2010, 08:45 AM
During the middle sixties and into the seventies I backpacked up onto Mt Fahr, Glossy, and Forge Mts. several times, well before all the logging and mining activity, There were a few grizzlies up there at that time, as well as a large population of the original wild horses.(I have some movie film of me pulling a big stallion out of a mud-hole in 1972, took me 1/2 a day to powersaw and winch my 4x4 into that swamp) There was a healthy population of deer, black bear, grouse, wolves, beaver, ducks, and geese all throughout that area at that time, as well as a very large number of coyotes. There are several areas reverting back to wilderness again, so it makes sense that if there are any grizzlies still around, they should do well.

srupp
11-12-2010, 10:55 AM
In the early fall of 1975 while I was living in Princeton, i and a friend went hiking near Tuelameen...across the flumes up a old access rd here comes a mother grizzly and 2 cubs...last thing I expected that day...I remember clearly as this mom was in a real cranky mood and did several huffing and puffing and bluff charges,,unwarranted in my estimation..however all worked out well....

cheers
Steven

Brizz
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I've heard reports a few times of Grizz up the Whipsaw from the 4x4 crowd.

DBM
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Saw a cub off to the side of the road on Lawless Creek FSR, and my friend's hounds chased one around on Copper Creek FSR outside of Manning Park

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
good to know now. I lived in the Kootenays a long time and now live in Vancouver and really thought no grizzly bears were in this neck of the woods. I guess I was being naive and now I know better. Thanks for the responses.

NitwiT
11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Kastles and I were hunting for spring black bear on whipsaw, about 20? km in, place called Garrison Creek FSR. Drove all the way in, and found a sign warning of Grizzly Bear rehabilitation. Stalked a small blackie for a bit, then headed back out, suprised to run into two grizz on the road, about 1km south of the sign.

Mark

ruger#1
11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Was talking to one of the forestry guys last year when I was fishing goose lake. I thought I had saw a grizzly, He said there is a big one up around Hornet lake. There are also Grizzlies at the other end of Harrison Lake. My buddy used to live at Port Douglas and had confirmed that I did see one in that area.

kastles
11-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Stupid bears can't read

sparkes3
11-13-2010, 06:03 AM
great now they are coming outside of their posted areas no one is safe in the woods anymore.