PDA

View Full Version : Cougar encounter near Squamish (too close for comfort...)

seanps
11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey all. I've always hoped to see a cougar, but never thought it'd be from only 10 feet away -- at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Went out for a day-long grouse/deer hunt in the Squamish/Elaho Valley area. Spent the morning tramping around the woods with the dog, and then because it started raining steadily, left him in the car for the afternoon to sneak around a spot where I've seen lots of deer sign.

It's a dark, mossy patch of forest a couple clicks from the Squamish Main FSR. Lots of fallen logs and stumps, with a high tree canopy and surrounded by a thicket. Wearing camo rain pants, a black jacket, camo hat/hood and an orange backpack, I grabbed my 30/30 and began sneaking through the patch of woods. Taking the advice of folks on here, I would creep about 10 steps, crouch/sit under a tree for a bit and scan the area, then sneak ahead. It took about 45 minutes to cross a half-acre.

After a bit I hit an open patch of ground with no trees to hide behind, so I stood up and began creeping ahead, still watching for deer. I looked left, looked right, looked left, looked right, and ... there he was.

All of a sudden, with no notice, there was a huge cougar, about 10 feet to my left and a little bit behind me. Didn't hear him coming, and he hadn't been there 5 seconds earlier. He was staring at me, and I could see his eyes, the details of the fur around his face, his shoulder muscles and that giant head. Easily six feet long, and right there, frozen mid-step.

I must have caught him creeping up on me.

I was completely shocked, and just stared for a second. I took a couple steps back, and realized I needed to do something quickly, since he was so close, so I swung my arms around and shouted: No reaction. Shouted, tried to stare him down, waved my arms more: Nothing. Blank stare. He didn't even flinch.

That's when I swung the 30-30 around, cocked it and shot a round into the ground in front of him. In an instant he had swung around and retreated about 30 feet. His tail twitched a couple times, he took one last look at me, and then walked calmly up a hill. The whole encounter lasted about 10 seconds. Incredible!

After it happened, I backed out with my gun ready, got in the car and drove straight home. Wished I could have got a picture. Can't believe it happened it a patch of woods I'm in every weekend.

Not sure if he had been stalking me for a while, or if he just spotted me while *he* was hunting and came in for a closer look. I don't think I could have surprised him, since by then I was walking at a normal pace and standing upright -- and, as I understand it, you don't really *surprise* cougars. Any ideas?

RJ
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
I would have shot him. Predatory behavior on humans is not cool.
Thats a pretty crazy story!

spear
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I would have popped him too, hopefully with a tag in my pocket. I guess you know there are deer there though

lp270win
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
At ten feet away I dont think I would have just yelled and stared it down..... the 30-30 would be goin into action in a big hurry!! Glad your ok!

springpin
11-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Should of shot him...

The Hermit
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a cougar tag in my pocket for that reason, and well in case it snows and I get the call!! ;-)

ratherbefishin
11-11-2010, 08:04 PM
having a tag or not having a tag in that situation is irrelevent-survival is what counts-the cougar was displaying predatory behaviour,we could have been reading about this in the newspaper instead of being recounted here

seanps
11-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Is this the sort of thing I should report to COs?

.330 Dakota
11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Dead cat for sure, I would have shot him immediately

3kills
11-11-2010, 08:28 PM
ya i would have killed him to. way to close for me. eat of be eaten and u were close to being eaten

Ltbullken
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Yah totally understand this!! My cat encounter is similar ... http://colonel-kj.livejournal.com/ !!

killman
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I would have screamed like a Bitch!:mrgreen:

The Dawg
11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I would have screamed like a Bitch!:mrgreen:

Shows Mike and I were right about you on your profile ;)

:mrgreen:

seanps
11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Yah totally understand this!! My cat encounter is similar ... http://colonel-kj.livejournal.com/ !!

Neat blog, thanks!

My reaction was similar: First thought was to shoot to scare it off. If it didn't move or took another step towards me, next shot would have been in the chest. It wasn't until afterwards -- like, now -- that I considered shooting to kill right away.

Caveman
11-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Had exactly the same thing happen to me while deer hunting. Turned to look back where I had been just to catch a lion crouching a dozen feet away ready to pounce. I pulled the rifle up taking no chances and put one through it's front shoulder. 8 ft long nose to tail

270WIN
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
glad to hear the story did not turn out diffrent and your ok. I seen a big cougar up around 28 mile marker few years back. firt time I had ever seen a cougar in the wild want a intiminatng animal.

markt308
11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
glad this turned out ok. crazy story.

M@B
11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Last year I did hiked up into some thick bush just off the Squamish main FSR. On a morning with a freash dump of snow. on my way back out I looked down at my tracks from the morning hike in and there were cat tracks going up hill with me. from the tracks he followed me for a good couple hundered yards. sends a chill down your spine when you see that. had NO idea I was being followed.

Glad to hear your story ended well!

Dually
11-12-2010, 05:43 AM
I most likely would have shot him.......Then proceeded to change my underwear!

SHACK
11-12-2010, 06:32 AM
I had a similar experience in Tulameen in 96, except the cat actually did pounce, and Im still here, the cat is not! Super scarry experience, will never hesitate again!!

Ron.C
11-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Yep, glad your ok. I understand exactly what was going through your mind. Ive had a few close encounters with cats now including one this spring. I'm like Hermit, I now carry a cat tag during hunting season, just in case. I also "ALWAYS" carry bear spray whether hunting or hiking and I can tell you, it works great on a cat!!

But I don't agree with most who say they would have shot it. You did the right thing, you came up on aim and it had opened the distance, then decided you were not a likely meal. Most guys have probably had cats this close to them before and not even known it.

llloyd
11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I had a similar experience in Tulameen in 96, except the cat actually did pounce, and Im still here, the cat is not! Super scarry experience, will never hesitate again!!

Cougar killed a woman in Tulameen that year too, scary stuff.

blackbear master
11-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I would let the CO know if only for their own knowledge but no question about it I would have shot him for sure glad your ok

One Shot
11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
More cats are showing up in the Elaho and Squamish drainages. A lot of cougar encounters/issues in around Squamish two years ago. Seen more sign the last couple of years than before.

pazz0
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
A question for all the people here who have encountered a cougar while out in the bush (with your gun)...
After you shot it, what did you do as far as reporting it (or not)? I doubt all of the people here who have shot one in a 'defensive' manner had tags.

SHACK
11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Cougar killed a woman in Tulameen that year too, scary stuff.

Yup, Cindy Parolin, the family lived not to far up Lawless Cr. from me. Bad, bad year!

Iron Glove
11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Yup, Cindy Parolin, the family lived not to far up Lawless Cr. from me. Bad, bad year!

My son now owns the 12 guage that Jim shot the cougar with.
In ten years I've never seen a cat in the area but have seen lots of tracks. Son & I were out deer hunting a few years back and he calls me on the GRS radio to say he's coming my way in a hurry. I asked what the problem was and he says he was following some cougar tracks in the snow and realized the cougar was following him not the other way around. Told him to chamber a round and be ready.
A few years ago a Tulameen neighbour a couple streets over had her young daughter say "Mommy, look at the nice kitty on our porch" as they got ready for school. Quick look and a call to her neighbour and one less cougar in town.

Ovis17
11-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Definately freaky. Sounds like you had enough time to evaluate and do the right thing though. I'm sure if he was coming hard it would've been a different story. Obviously you'll have a tag in pocket for the next walk........:wink:

llloyd
11-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Damn haven't seen any big cats down on tulameen river rd yet, just a bobcats. Honestly I'm happy to keep it that way :)

32-40win
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
If that cat had wanted him , it would have been a done deal. I have two friends that have been followed for minimum of 1/4 mile without knowing it, both shot the cat, one gun kill and one bow kill, both at under 20 yds.
Seen black bears do the same thing.
I've had cat tracks cross my back trail. no signs of them ever following me though.
If I encounter one that closely, I won't be firing a warning shot.

Mr louis
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
He woulda been dead.

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
you shoulda purred softly and looked into it's eyes and sang Koom bai ya..because haven't you heard? These animals are harmless, and only attack you if they are half starved to death and toothless.....na second thoughts..Shoot it...too dam close buddy...it was thinking of dinner.

Spokerider
11-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Is this the sort of thing I should report to COs?

In all likelyhood, a CO would prolly tell you that cougar do roam in the same area that you hunt, and that it was expressing typical curious-feline behavior. Now if this encounter happened in your rural back yard, where children would be at risk, thay probably would have brought in the hounds......

Although I`ve never been unknowingly sized up by a lion, it seems many of the cougar encounters that other peeps report happen just like yours did. There`s nothing quite like a close encounter with a mature lion :wink:.

The Hermit
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
As with very close encounters with any deadly predator one doesn't know what one will do until it happens. And my guess is that like those situations where on one day a guy will jump into a freezing lake to save a child and the next be struck with fear and not able to respond.

Glad you are okay. Psssst, buy cougar tags, they taste GREAT!!

seanps
11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the posts, guys. More than 24 hours later and I'm still exhilarated by the experience.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't shoot it -- if only to see how it moved when it jumped and then walked away. Amazing.

Of course, I had the gun leveled -- if it hadn't flinched after the first shot, or if it had moved closer to me, I wouldn't have hesitated to fire.

Walksalot
11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the posts, guys. More than 24 hours later and I'm still exhilarated by the experience.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't shoot it -- if only to see how it moved when it jumped and then walked away. Amazing.

Of course, I had the gun leveled -- if it hadn't flinched after the first shot, or if it had moved closer to me, I wouldn't have hesitated to fire.

I think this shows a healthy respect and an appreciation for nature in the raw.

llloyd
11-13-2010, 09:18 AM

This is how I'd like to think I would act in the same situation.