PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi lakes

bcboy
05-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I really hate asking but it looks like I am going there and I dont have any knowledge, it is for me personally so I'll keep it quiet if thats what you want..
I appreciate any info. I can get.

Dave

kutenay
05-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I can tell you that the last time I was near there, actually on the headwaters of Chlotapecta Creek, the Elk were swarming all over the place and good bulls were numerous. This is just to the west of Tuchodi and I was also on Gatho Cr. three years ago. My pard and I were going to book with Guy this coming season for Tuchodi, but, he can't make it this year and I am too old to pack out Elk/Moose alone.

This, to me, is the best resident hunting in the whole Province, the West Kootenays is next, IF, you know the ground. Check with John Mathiesen at Reliable as he was there, year before last; I can't remember the name of the creek they camped at.

bcboy
05-27-2006, 01:49 PM
need more info. ie Sheep... for early season prefer tent, siltart or bivy bag for spike camp?

bigwhiteys
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
:)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

timberhunter
05-27-2006, 04:30 PM
My hunting partner and I looked into hunting the Tuchodi lake area. But after doing some research into what its really like we decided not to. The outfitters have the run of the place, from what I gather. Pretty hard to spend all that money to get flown into an area. Only to compete with guides and outfitters on horses, quads, and river boats.

I have nothing against guides and or outfitters, I do a bit of guiding myself. Everyone has to make a living for sure. And they do provide a great service. But I really hope that you have a game plan to get around the other people up there, that you're going to run into for sure.:roll:

Myself if I'm going to pay all that money to get flown in, I'm going to go to an area where its at least a day or 2 walk until I would run into someone. From what I have been told and by doing some research, there is a ton of boat traffic both on the river and the lake. So much for solitude.

Not the info you were looking for, but maybe a heads up on what you're getting into.

Marc

kutenay
05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I am not the best person to ask for info. on sheep hunting as I have only hunted Stone's once, by horse and backpack, on a mixed hunt in the area I referred to. I have also hunted Calis and Rockies, once each, alone by backpack and, while I found legal(barely) rams on each hunt, I did not kill one as I do not believe in shooting young rams just so I can boast about being a mighty sheep hunter. I also could NEVER have packed the meat out in the heat from where I finally found rams, the buggers seem to hang out in very remote terrain.

However, I did see sheep in the Chlotapecta and hiked onto the ridges between there and the Tuchodi, this was fifteen years ago. I would not be surprised if there were still sheep there, but, Wiens and Pecks, now Larry Warren, have been hunting that area for quite awhile and they know the country and what they are about, so, it ain't easy for a resident workin' man to harvest a Stone's Sheep. It can be done, but, those who claim to do it somehow don't want to advise others of where to go.....

The query about spikecamps is simple, carry what you need to survive in a harsh blizzard as this can happen in sheep season. My hunting spikecamp consists of a Kifaru Paratipi, an Integral Designs "North Twin" sleeping bag, a large Ridgerest and a large IAC from Big Agnes as well as an Integral Designs Sylwing and eVent South Col in olive colour. I mix and match this gear according to the weather and sometimes also carry an Andromeda Overbag in Primaloft as either my emergency sleeping bag or additonal warmth if used with my North Twin. This gear WORKS and is the best available, but, it is not cheap....what's your life worth?

I am hoping to go north again this summer and maybe in the hunting season and try to hike in to a couple of possible areas, but, I figure sheep hunting is VERY difficult for ordinary residents as the GOs have a lock on it. Maybe, Carl will take mercy on you and tell you some of his secret spots....go over to Sidney and bribe him with mucho beero!

BTW, there is a poster .280Ackley on 24Hr. and CGN who has evidently shot a couple of rams up north somewhere, you might ask him for advice and directions. If, worst comes to worst, maybe go with one of the GOs, Barry Thompkins will take residents for Stone's Sheep and although this can get pricey, it is probably the most productive method of actually getting an opportunity at a decent ram.

bigwhiteys
05-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Kutenay,

As of yet I still haven't harvested a stones sheep. And had my first real shot at them last year. They are no cakewalk to hunt thats for sure. I have lots of respect for what my dad and the other sheep guides have to put themselves through to get into rams. I had a rude awakening to say the least.

He did get my hunting partner and I onto some rams last year and after stalking them and getting in position we passed on two questionably legal rams out of a bunch of 11. They will be bigger this year though. And we hardly hunted the area as much as we could/should have.

I'll be going every year until I get the Stones Sheep of my dreams. My dads is a 43" and I won't pull the trigger unless it's a 40" ram. Maybe 38-39" if he's really heavy but I doubt it :) I enjoy getting up there too much and it's a once-in-a-lifetime trophy that has deep roots in my family.

He'll laugh when he reads this one. He always bitches at me that I don't give enough credit to my guide. Ha Ha.

I started getting into "Sheep Shape" just over a month ago. We'll see how that works out for me this year. Last year I didn't do enough and it was evident.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

palmer
05-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I have been up in that country once...Go to the lake and hike the draws too steep for horses...there are some and that is where the sheep are that the guides don't go after...lots of sheep around Tuchodi and Peck does not get them all...Good luck its a great trip...

kutenay
05-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Carl, you and I have not always agreed on various issues, but, I will tell you, man to man, that I deeply respect your attitude about killing sheep and I agree, these are once-in-a-lifetime trophies to me, as well.

If, we had more hunters with strict self-discipline and honourable attitudes toward harvesting our relatively rare species, like sheep, we would all benefit and I hope that you can influence other hunters in the younger generation to hold attitudes such as yours.

I started hunting in '64 when there was just a huge die-off of Rocky BH Sheep in the Kootenays due to pneumonia induced by pleural parasites. I decided then NOT to hunt these sheep as my small contribution to their recovery, so, I am still pretty much a novice at sheep hunting. But, I am working on it and going scouting in about two weeks for RBHs in the Kootenays and maybe CBHs in the Chilcotin.

Getting in shape, yeah, bud, my ancient bones KNOW about that!!!!!