PDA

View Full Version : Desperation Day Moose - Pics

SUAFOYT
11-10-2010, 11:56 PM
For the first and probably only time in our lives my wife and I each have a moose draw. She fills hers on Oct 6 when my daughter is with her. Calls a beauty in on her own and does the deed. The pressure is off as far as a moose goes but now I have to step up to the plate. I'm out there every day starting Sept 30. Prime rut time so how hard can it be? I try every spot I know along with some new ones. I try calling, I try no calling. I sit on likely spots for hours, I sit in my stand for hours. I move around to different areas on the same day. Nothing- diddley squat. I run into others that are having the same luck as me. The only moose I see is the one my wife got. I'm starting to get a little tired of taking flack from the locals about "my wife's moose." I read reports on HBC about a lot of hunters seeing the same as me as in nothing and those that are scoring no problem. That's hunting I suppose. I'm pretty much resigned to not filling my tag and having to go through the 3 year purgatory of reduced odds. On Halloween weekend my kids decide to come up for a quick commando raid. They get here about 1:00 am on the Saturday. Up real early for one last kick at the can as they have to go back to Van on Sunday. We are in territory with 4" of new snow. Not a track anywhere- no deer tracks no moose. We're all fading fast with the lack of sleep when late in the afternoon as we're poking our way home we see a huge owl on the road. It's killed a grouse and tries to take off with it but it can't. It then proceeds to rip the head off the grouse and fly off. Never seen that before. At least the birds are having some luck. Not 5 minutes later as an old block on our right comes into view there they are- cow and a bull! I manage to wake up from my comatose state, load and take the bull. I watch him fall and then swing the scope to the cow to have a look. Turns out it's an immature. I give the good news to my son who gets a bead on him but he's now moving. No good shot as he's in and out of view. To my son's credit he doesn't shoot as no clear view. He says later we've got 2- how much do we really need. The immy lives for another time and if no one gets him in the November draw he'll be around for next year. We get the bull out and gutted in 2 hours and home in 4. Great end to my moose season- not as big as the mugwump's but I'm not complaining. Those kids of our are good luck it seems. We have to get them up here more often. I sleep in on Sunday and my son goes out with my wife and daughter for the AM hunt and manages to get a small buck. What a great weekend!

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/suafoyt/IMG_1734.jpg

The "wife" moose

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/suafoyt/DavidandConnorcopy.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/suafoyt/DavidLiamcopy.jpg

Mtn Wonderer
11-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Way to go,!! David!!!!!!LOL!!

islander7mm
11-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Hunting with old Uncle David?:) Awesome pics!

coach
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Nice bulls! Congrats. Great job on the photography too! :mrgreen:

OutWest
11-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Nice work and beauty bulls! Must have been great having Mr. Suzuki hunting with you ;)

The Dawg
11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh come on, tell the truth.

The only reason the immy lived is because Suzuki started spewing his new theories on the pending endangerment of the moose blahblahblah....:mrgreen:

Wait, why didnt you shoot Suzuki instead? :twisted:

Congrats :)

SUAFOYT
11-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh come on, tell the truth.

The only reason the immy lived is because Suzuki started spewing his new theories on the pending endangerment of the moose blahblahblah....:mrgreen:

Wait, why didnt you shoot Suzuki instead? :twisted:

Congrats :)

Umm because it keeps him forever nervous?:wink:

landphil
11-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Wait, why didnt you shoot Suzuki instead?

The moose is clearly better table fare and if you're after a trophy, well, 'nuff said. It wasn't a varmint hunt!:mrgreen:

Fine looking moose there, lots of good eating in your future.

quadrakid
11-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Nice moose and nice Ruger.

Caveman
11-11-2010, 07:00 AM
I never realized just how big of a head David has! Great job and sounds like a great time!

The Hermit
11-11-2010, 07:21 AM
A hahahaha great thread!! Congrats too!

ratherbefishin
11-11-2010, 07:26 AM
VERY NICE-and a freezer full of good naturally fed meat

lorneparker1
11-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Nice bulls. and onlya real women sits on her kill! Well done!

Deadshot
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
You got me!
I had to do a double take.
Congrats to all involved.

goatdancer
11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Your wife wins bragging rights for this year......

skibum
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
fock that is funny

Lillypuff
11-11-2010, 02:36 PM
thats great

lilhoss
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Fall HBC hunting contest entry!!!Too funny,thanx.

sawmill
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Fall HBC hunting contest entry!!!Too funny,thanx.
Gets my vote too!:mrgreen:

roping_tom
11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
AWESOME LOL Funny

Rattler
11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Now that is just too funny! Congrats on a fine bull...