PDA

View Full Version : Tatonka Lastenkraxe

Tarp Man
11-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Anyone using these as a multiday packframe? The MR or Kiarfu or Wilderness Wanderer are out of my price range. End use would be trips up to 10 days in length and packing out alpine deer/goat meat.

wlbc
11-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I bought one this year for a fly in for packing meat. I have not specifically used it for multi day back pack trips but for packing elk and moose quarters it works well.

I am tall and broad so fitting things like packs properly can be an issue, but not with this one. I was able to dial the adjustments to the point where my shoulders didn't hurt - my whole body ached, if that makes sense to you.

We had a good trip which necessitated tall and broad people to double as mules, accordingly on a six day hunt I packed one or two quarters off the surrounding mountains every day on game trails. From my experience the pack worked very well; I think it is because it is effective in distributing the load over your body.

Lacking actual experience with the MR or the others you mentioned I won't comment other than here and elsewhere I've heard they are very good. I had originally ordered in the top end Cabelas Alaskan Guide (or something like that) and was very disapointed with the quality and lack of adjustment so I sent it back.

For $200 dollars I thought the Tatonka was outstanding value.

Bradana
11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I picked one up this fall along with the moose bag that straps to the frame.

For myself I find it very good value for the money. I researched packs for quite a while and would have no problems with somebody offering that the Barney's, Mystery Ranch, or Kifaru packs would be money well spent if you had that sort of money. For me the Tatonka load carrier for $200 at AJ Brooks in Vancouver turned out to be just the ticket.

Fits very well, no creaking under load, pack detaches easily from the frame, plenty big, and just feels good under full load. I actually bought the Badlands "The OX" and kept it at home for a week trying to convince myself that it felt ok and that the minor discomforts of fitting it to my torso wouldn't be noticable on a long pack - and then I smartened up and took it back because for me it just didn't fit right.

I can't speak to the longevity of the pack but the welded shelf is solid and there is a ton of reinforcement right where you would expect to find it. Really it looks solid and well put together. The fact that it stands up on its own instead of leaning it against a tree is nice too - little thing in a big ship but still.... I'm very happy with my purchase.

KevinB
11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I haven't used one but I have looked at them a few times. The frames look very strong (I can't imagine what it would take to break one) and the suspension felt quite comfortable. What I didn't like, and this would be personal preference, was that the frame extends quite high up, even above your head.This could prove to be quite "snaggy" on brush.

Tarp Man
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Good feedback so far! I used an Arc Teryx this summer (95L size) and it did not fit well at all with the load I filled it with. Their packs are known to be the cat's meow, but it didn't fit right for me. This may be my next pack purchase for next year. Who knows.

Devilbear
11-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I have tried them on and messed about with some medium loads, but, not any real heavy packing as in hauling out meat. I also used a Wilderness Wanderer belonging to a friend, who subsequently came to my place, checked my gear and bought the same packs, bags, etc. that I currently have.

My impression of the Tatonka was that it is an excellent external frame pack for the price, a real value and I do not know of anything in that price range that comes close for strength and comfort. If, I were looking for another frame pack and was on a limited budget, it would be my first choice.

Here is a tip, I have been at this for decades and have had a lot of gear and also worked selling gear just before I retired in June 2001. The best packframe I have ever used, by far, is the "Terraframe" made in Bozeman, MT, and then in Mexico, by Dana Designs and then K2, the early ones under Dana Gleason's supervision, after he sold DD to K2 in '95.

These, are usually found as the "Shortbed" model and I just passed on one in mint shape from the USA, as I have both this model and the "Longbed Loadmaster" which has an excellent bag attached. They can be found on "e-bay" and sometimes by posting on "Backpacker Forums" and "Trailspace" and usually run $200-$400.00 shipped...and, they ARE worth it.

I will not sell my two and use them in conjunction with my two MR NICE combos, Dana is of course, the guy behind MR. I have had 11 of his packs over almost 40 years, have nine now and will not buy from anyone else, except Dan McHale of Seattle.

If, you search around, you may well be able to locate a DD "Shortbed" or the rare "Flatbed" which was the bareframe load hauler of the trio based on Dana's brilliant "Terraframe". Google these and you can see some pix and get an idea of what to look for.....a nice used one of these is the best serious hunting pack deal I have ever seen.

If, you find one, I have some suggestions for rigging it to make a very functional hunting pack at a reasonable cost.

pom
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi! would you be interested in selling your Tatonka? thanks!