PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites the Dust

swamper
05-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Another pretty good bear bit the dust yesterday. Pupper and his friend Sid, both from the lower mainland came up for a weekend bear hunt. Since I had the afternoon off I told them I would accompany them and help them try find a shooter bear. We left the house about 2PM and by 3:30 Pupper was putting a stalk on a really nice bear. He is here bowhunting so he was trying to get in close for a good shot. At about 100 yards the bear wondered off into some fairly thick brush and I figured the game was up. Just as I was about to say something another bigger bear came out to the bush on the other side of the road and started walking right towards us. Pupper continued the stalk and got to within 60 but didn't have a shot when the bear busted him.

We drove about another 4 km and Sid spotted another bear and the stalk was on. We got to within about 20 yards when the bear stood up and took a look at us. Lots of time for a shot but way to small.

Half and hour later we spotted another small bear heading into the bush. We decided that the next bear, if it was a shooter, would be a rifle bear by Sid. About 12 km further on we spotted a good bear feeding in the ditch. The stalk was on. Sid made and excellent shot at 135 yards with his 30-06 using 180 gr Nosler Partitions. The bear went 25 yards and collapsed.

As I couldn't figure out how to post the picture here, I put in my gallery under "Sid's Bear". All skinned out and laid on the floor without the "guide stretch", it measured 6'2" tip to tip.

We are heading back out today to try get Pupper his archery bear.

Tuffcity
05-27-2006, 08:11 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Sid_s_bear.JPG

Here you go, swamper. Nice bruin!

RC

Brambles
05-27-2006, 09:04 AM
nice melon, small ears looks like a shooter to me, surprised he only wen't 6'2 must have been a real stocky bugger

bigwhiteys
05-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Nice Bear! He's got a big head, looks real hairy too.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

goathead
05-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice bear guys thats A shooter for sure

3kills
05-27-2006, 11:28 AM
real nice bear swamper...where abouts were u guys hunting?

youngfellla
05-27-2006, 01:50 PM
He's got a big head, looks real hairy too.

Kind of like the shop foreman where I work. :lol:

Nice looking bear, by the way. Definetly a shooter!:biggrin:

BCLongshot
05-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Ya Boy

Awesome bear!!!

CanAm500
05-27-2006, 06:45 PM
nice bear!!!

Marc
05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
That is a very nice bear. Something to be proud of for sure.

Marc.

swamper
05-27-2006, 09:11 PM
The story continues. We went out today and within and hour Pupper had his archery bear on the ground. Nice young bear that measured right on 5'. Once again I can't figure out how to post the pic so if someone would be so kind as to help a moron out, it's in my gallery under "Pupper's Bear"

Thanks,
Chris

Steeleco
05-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Here you go Swamper. Nice lookin bear!!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IM000659.JPG

twoSevenO
05-27-2006, 09:47 PM
nice bears ... that first one looks like a monster with that huge head.
looks like he'd make a nice rug :)

well done boys, must have been whole lot of fun.

how long did it take for the bow shot bear to go down?

swamper
05-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for doing the pic for me Dave. One day I'll figure it all out.
Chris

swamper
05-27-2006, 10:44 PM
The bow shot bear went about 60 yards and laid down and died. He had broken the arrow off and the broadhead had sliced him up, done it's job well.

bigwhiteys
05-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Awesome!

There seems to be a lot of bears dropping now. I am almost tempted to go buy another tag :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

swamper
05-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I guess I forgot to mention, this was Pupper's first ever kill with his bow. Needless to say we were all pretty happy.

Both of these bears had really nice coats, without any rub marks at all. Both will make great rugs.

I always have a good time taking the younger guys out. They still have that enthusiasm that fades a little as we get older. Gets you all pumped up again.

Thanks boys for having me along.

oldtimer
05-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Chris you and I will have to go out. You seem to find the ones Chris and I can't. he he he When does it close ???? Mike

3kills
05-28-2006, 10:23 AM
oldtimer i believe it is june 15th....

oldtimer
05-28-2006, 11:19 AM
that is what I thought but I am at work and couldn't check the regs. Thanks Darcy

swamper
05-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Mike, call me at home if you get a chance. I'll be here all day, the boys took my truck as Sid's is in the shop til at least Monday.

swamper
05-28-2006, 04:20 PM
It's Sunday and the lads have just come home from another successful day of bear hunting. Sid put a nice bear on the ground with his bow, again another first archery kill. I would post pics, but I wasn't there and we can't get the pictures off of his camera. I'll post a pic when he emails them to me.

Congratulations boys.

youngfellla
05-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Holy crap, you guys are dropping bears right and left!:biggrin: Nice work!

I'm still waiting for my ankle to heal so I can get out and go after some black bears, and not just putt around in the truck.:-x

Elkhound
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Nice bears guys. And of course any bear with a bow is a great bear

pupper
05-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks alot for having me and sid out I am pshyced that I nailed my first archery animal.

A big thanks to all the fine people at Gong Show Outfitters

-Pupper

oldtimer
05-31-2006, 09:38 AM
The only outfit in the north that has a meat processing station, a bar, an archery range, and VERY friendly folks.

Huli Huli
05-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Nice bear, nice picture, thanks!

death-junky
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
nice one man!
ttyal
Riley

oldtimer
06-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Well Swamper and I went for a short drive on Thursday nite looking for a bear I could take with my bow. Started off very slow as he and I just told lies back and forth. About 7:00 we finally spotted one and tried to get a stalk going.but the little bugger was having none of that. drove on some more and spotted the ass end of a bear about 300 yards away ambling down the road, parked the truck and started the stalk down the road, got close enough to see it was a nice looking sow with a cub, watched them for a bit ,then I headed back to get the truck while Swamper snuck up on the sow. He got to within 70 yards. kept driving around and for the nite saw 6 bear, 4 deer and a calf moose. The second to lasr bear was a nice little cinammon but we just couldn't get close enough. The last bear was a beauty maybe 6' or better and right in a farmers field about 175 yards away and even though we had permission there was no way to get close without him busting us. In hindsight I might have used Swamper's 06 but want one with a bow.
All in all it was a good nite, saw lots of new blocks for moose and deer this fall. and I can verify that Gong Show Outfitters can find the most and biggest mosquitoes anywhere !! they are just brutal right now.
Mike