PDA

View Full Version : Left handed 12 gauge for waterfowl?

Piledriver
11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
My (left handed) son has asked me (so I'm asking you) for advise on what to buy for waterfowl hunting. There's not too many guns for "lefties" on the market! Any comments or suggestions? We"ve both looked at a BHP bottom ejector 3" and 3.5" with 30" and 28" barrels on line but don't know anyone who shoots one. He wants to shoot when he comes home from Yellowknife at Christmas. There is nothing up north for him to physically hold. Lefties unite, help!

seatoskymiles
11-10-2010, 08:06 PM
i have an 870 pump in a left, I like it only in a 2 3/4 or 3 though,

300WinMag
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
If you are looking for a semi, the Benelli Super Black Eagle is the only one I believe. I purchased it and am happy with it. It is a little pricey if you are looking at pumps.

358win
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Piledriver. BPS (Browning) they do both bottom feed/bottom eject top tang safety and come in 3 1/2" chamber.

11-10-2010, 08:59 PM
the 870 and the BPS are two good options. but I would get him to shoulder both of them and he will know which one fits better.

Kevin So
11-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Piledriver. BPS (Browning) they do both bottom feed/bottom eject top tang safety and come in 3 1/2" chamber.

x2 on BPS, good field gun.

Tanya
11-11-2010, 06:41 AM
I love my "Precious". I have used and abused my Rem. 870 LH for a dozen years or so. It's worked with me for ducks, geese, bear, deer, grouse, quail, and deserves it's "Precious" status. For the money, especially with the factory discount right now, the 870 is a good buy.

branthunter
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Have him give a double a try. Some lefties (eg . my son) need the left mount for eye dominance but find the pumping with the left arm/hand awkward--- a problem which a double eliminates.

Islandbowhunter
11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Used to shoot a Remington 1100 southpaw but it's 2 3/4" full choke for lead.:icon_frow

Now I've got a BPS, it seems to be doing the trick! This is its second season of heavy field use, and it is standing up quite well.

Although I DO like a nice o/u...come on Santa!!!

branthunter
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Used to shoot a Remington 1100 southpaw but it's 2 3/4" full choke for lead.:icon_frow

Now I've got a BPS, it seems to be doing the trick! This is its second season of heavy field use, and it is standing up quite well.

Although I DO like a nice o/u...come on Santa!!!

I'm still using the same BPS after 25+ yrs. of about as hard a use as a duck gun gets.

mildcustom2
11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been using a left handed 870 express. It can definitely take the abuse of every day hunting in the marsh and love it to bits. But this year I have borrowed a friends semi-auto mossberg 935 12G for the season. Spent shells eject out the right hand side and being a left handed shooter I have no problem with them even coming close to hitting me in the face. I think I will be selling my 870 this year and getting my own semi-auto, I'm hooked on it.

Tarp Man
11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I use a BPS even though I am right handed and right eye dominant. I really like the bottom eject and the tang safety. It is relatively easy to field strip and the stock fits me well.

duxngeez
11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I have been using a left handed 870 express. It can definitely take the abuse of every day hunting in the marsh and love it to bits. But this year I have borrowed a friends semi-auto mossberg 935 12G for the season. Spent shells eject out the right hand side and being a left handed shooter I have no problem with them even coming close to hitting me in the face. I think I will be selling my 870 this year and getting my own semi-auto, I'm hooked on it.

I agree with this. I am right handed, but shoot left and have a right hand Browning Gold 10 Semi. No problem with shells ejecting across to my right (you do wear shooting glasses, right?) :)

duck stamp
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I am left handed and I shoot left handed, over 60yrs of waterfowling I have shot only right handed shotguns and I have had them all Win #12- Rem #870 Browning #A-5 Benelli nova Benelli SBE Benelli SBE2 Benelli Lagacy Benelli Vinci. I have never had any trouble with shells getting in my face. and I have never worn glasses the only shells I have had in my face came from my partner on my left in a duck blind.

250 sav
09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Have 2 Browning Bps 1 in 20 and 1 in 12 nice smooth reliable pumps, bottom feed, bottom eject.

Morel
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
When looking for shotguns, I was initially set on a BPS but tried a rental 870 (right handed) at a trap range in the US. At the time, the price difference was a big deal and I really liked the feel of the old 870 at the range. I ended up with a left handed 870 express with a 28" barrel. So far it has been great. If your son wants to try it, we could possibly arrange to meet at POCO for trap shooting (2nd and 4th Sunday of each month) or the Vancouver Gun Club. PM me.

bearhunter338-06
09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Shotguns are like fine wine.........lol

Being left handed is a biotch sometimes, leaving you with little choice sometimes. I would suggest:

SXS 12ga, an over/under, Browning BPS pump, Remington 870 left hand Wingmaster or Express or an Ithaca (also bottom eject). Also let him use a right handed pump to see if the shell ejecting bother him.

Qwa-honn
09-09-2011, 07:58 AM
I am left handed and shoot a LH SBE2. I didn't get this until a couple of years back I shot right handed guns since the start. The one issue that I have run into is that if you are going to get LH then all his guns should be LH. I have found that I forget about the safety once in a while when shooting a right handed gun. I also have looked at the bps and think that it is a good option. You get used to the RH guns and don't notice the shells going by your face but once you've got a LH firearm then you don't want to go back. imo

Foxton Gundogs
09-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Have him give a double a try. Some lefties (eg . my son) need the left mount for eye dominance but find the pumping with the left arm/hand awkward--- a problem which a double eliminates.

My sugestion as well only try a O/U "single" barrel makes it much easier to sight than a SXS for those used to shooting already. Stoeger makes a good reasonable O/U.

WaderGator
09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Im right-handed in normal life. Left eye dominant. shoot left handed....I have a right handed 870 and have never had a problem with shells going across my face. dont even notice it to be honest with you

selvir
04-05-2017, 11:14 PM
I am lefty and shoot right shotgun no difference, benelli makes one in left hand

selvir
10-21-2017, 07:08 PM
I am lefty and use right Benelli Black Eagle no issues :)

rbduck
10-21-2017, 08:06 PM
I am a die-hard Lefty. Been using an RH 870 for almost 50 years. Never even notice the ejects.

Ron