PDA

View Full Version : good deed for the day

lightmag
11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
went out for an evening deer hunt. Did some walking, returned to the truck and went for a drive. With about 30 minutes of light left and 60 km in the bush i run into two old timers high centered in their truck. The driver was 86!! and tried to drive over a sand de-act, got high centered real good. The other guy was in his 60"s, super nice old timers. So i back up the old dodge, hook onto their chain, pull, nothing? little jerk, nothing, bigger jerk, SNAP! chain goes thru the their canopy back window!! he wasn't too worried about it though. So i pull out my aircraft cable and chain, hook on, it's nice and long, got onto dry land and 4Low yanked it out, good pull!! they were not going anywhere with out a good pull and they had no winch!!

So the two old timers were super grateful and carried on the way home, hopefully safely! Felt good, those poor guys would have had a long night out there...

Dirty Steve
11-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Karma.

I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around!

If nothing else, you feel great about helping someone else out.

ydouask
11-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Good for you ! Gotta kind of keep an eye on them old timers, they occasionally need a little help !

sawmill
11-10-2010, 08:21 PM
HEY!!!!OLD TIMERS???
couple more years and I`ll be 60,little respect here youngster.,Good man you are,gotta help out when you can,might just have saved a life.Karma shall shine upon you!

vortex hunter
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I like helping old timers .... They are RESPECTFUL people my age are a bunch of A___ F__kers

yukon john
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
good on you, what goes around comes around and we all want to be a ''old timer'' one day

shawnwells
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Good job D man....when are you heading up here again? must be soon...

Big Lew
11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
It sure feels great, doesn't it? That's what it's all about....good for you!
Here's a bit of a warning to everyone....a Game Warden friend of mine many years ago advised me to always let the person that's stuck hook up the tow cable/chain/rope, and to have them sign a liability release if they're badly stuck and there's a likelihood of damage to the anchor point, or to the undercarriage being dragged off rocks etc. I have helped more than I can possibly remember over the years, and have always followed that advice with no one complaining about signing or getting dirty hooking up.
Fortunately those Oldtimers were happy to be helped and didn't try to gouge you for the damaged window. (Yes, there are those out there that would do just that, even though you were helping them out of a jam.)

shawnwells
11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Here's a bit of a warning to everyone....a Game Warden friend of mine many years ago advised me to always let the person that's stuck hook up the tow cable/chain/rope, and to have them sign a liability release if they're badly stuck and there's a likelihood of damage to the anchor point, or to the undercarriage being dragged off rocks etc. I have helped more than I can possibly remember over the years, and have always followed that advice with no one complaining about signing or getting dirty hooking up.
Fortunately those Oldtimers were happy to be helped and didn't try to gouge you for the damaged window. (Yes, there are those out there that would do just that, even though you were helping them out of a jam.)
Dude...good to know...thanks...

Sundance1972
11-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Sad, but true. I ripped a bumper right off a guys truck a few years ago, dummy wrapped the strap right around the bumper instead of the tow hook. Even though he was the one who hooked up the strap and told me to "givershit", he still tried to say it was my fault?!?
Luckily it worked out ok in the end. I built him a new bumper out of 10" channel and he bought the beer.:mrgreen:

fozzy
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I bumped into a couple older fella's and their truck wouldn't start. Just a simple stuck choke, just made sure they got going. One day will be my turn to be old and hopefully what goes around will come around then. :)

shawnwells
11-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Sad, but true. I ripped a bumper right off a guys truck a few years ago, dummy wrapped the strap right around the bumper instead of the tow hook. Even though he was the one who hooked up the strap and told me to "givershit", he still tried to say it was my fault?!?
Luckily it worked out ok in the end. I built him a new bumper out of 10" channel and he bought the beer.:mrgreen:
10'' channel?....thats a nice bumper...

uraarchr
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Just a couple weeks ago towed a couple young guys w a lifted Grand Cherokee over Vernon Mntn after dark.They sure thanked me a lot!I've had a few a few bad incidents that made me cautious tho.Cherryviller reeking of weed redlined it when i pulled him out of a ditch and smashed my truck.Some group of really drunk party crowd getting belligerent and violent because i wasnt going to do things their wayso i jumped into my truck and left.But most of the times ive helped ive gotten so much grattitude from people.One incident in Alberta was funny.I saw a guy stuck in the ditch so i went to pull around him and got sucked into the ditch on the other side.deep snow.We're both sittin there laughing stuck out in the middle of nowhere.A little Tracker came by and he couldnt do nothin,then a full size truck came by and he couldnt pull us out.then the tracker and truck hooked together and towed us out one by one!!!!

moosinaround
11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
went out for an evening deer hunt. Did some walking, returned to the truck and went for a drive. With about 30 minutes of light left and 60 km in the bush i run into two old timers high centered in their truck. The driver was 86!! and tried to drive over a sand de-act, got high centered real good. The other guy was in his 60"s, super nice old timers. So i back up the old dodge, hook onto their chain, pull, nothing? little jerk, nothing, bigger jerk, SNAP! chain goes thru the their canopy back window!! he wasn't too worried about it though. So i pull out my aircraft cable and chain, hook on, it's nice and long, got onto dry land and 4Low yanked it out, good pull!! they were not going anywhere with out a good pull and they had no winch!!

So the two old timers were super grateful and carried on the way home, hopefully safely! Felt good, those poor guys would have had a long night out there...
Good stuff Lightmag!! Get yourself a Nylon tow strap it is way more forgiving to everyones trucks and the streach of the rope does the work for ya! They are a little more expensive, but do a heck of a job on recovery of that sort! Karma good or bad does come back to you! Looks like it will be good!! Get out there and get that big mulie now!! Moosin

Caveman
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Years ago I came across a guy and his three year old daughter stuck in the mud sideways up past the axles. I had nothing to pull him out and he gave me a length of climbing rope to pull him out. I was skeptical but willing to give it a shot as it was a long ways out for these two. Anyway, I hooked up his truck to the front hook on my Toyota. The rope stretch to the point I expected it to snap and take out my windshield but low and be hold it sucked that truck out of there, and they were on their way.

BiG Boar
11-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Unfortunatley you had to tell us all about how good you were. Here is your pat on the back! Enjoy! Unfortunatley this has now reversed your karma because you shouldn't have told people about how great you were. Good luck hunting! I'm serious. This probably pooched your whole season. Jk

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Good job! I always like seeing the old skippers out enjoying the backcountry.

Next time, drape an old blanket or jacket on the cable or chain and it won't whip back as hard if it breaks. :wink:

swampthing
11-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Good an ya lightmag. I will see ya in the woods one day if I havnt already, buy ya a beer. Always hang somthing over your tow rope/chain, to help slow the re-active forces.

Kody94
11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Good job! I always like seeing the old skippers out enjoying the backcountry.

Next time, drape an old blanket or jacket on the cable or chain and it won't whip back as hard if it breaks. :wink:

Ditto.

My old man had to investigate a scene a long time ago where a young boy got a cable hook through the skull from a winch backlash. Easy ways to prevent it, and it pays to be careful.