PDA

View Full Version : Official Skunked in Region 8!!!

Gunner Staal
11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, im not afraid to admit it. Passed all year on the deuces and threes waiting for the late season monster. Now im sitting on the computer with an empty freezer. Hiked all day today...AGAIN! Not much of a road guy. 26 does and a couple small bucks in an area that should have produced. Just not in the cards this year. No sign of any big guys even being in the area. All the does I saw today were without a man. Ah well....time to join the masses and head for Region 3!

Torch
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Too bad.... We pulled 2 4x3's out of region 8 last weekend, fot exactly monsters but mine had a beauty rack...

Good luck in region 3!!!!!!!

nwalter
11-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I know the feeling Gunner.
The buck I saw was the biggest one I have seen in the wild this year but did not have a shot at him the inconsiderate prick

thepitchedlink
11-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Aaaahhhhh!!! Finally found a 4pt this evening. I had him in the sights for 5 minutes!!! But I couldn't see that 4th point. He finally turned to leave and oh ya....beautiful 3x4. See ya all in Region 3

Caveman
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Not truely being skunked if you pass something up, just selective. :wink:

fozzy
11-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Saw lots of wee ones, pulled the trigger on one, rushed the shot :(
Already looking forward to next year.
I put a partner onto one that turned out to be a 5x4. He'd cross this spot just at first hint of light, too dark to count points. 4 days in a row he crossed at the same point but made a mistake and crossed a bit later on the 4th day :) It had been 4 or five years since he tagged one so that was good for him.

elkdom
11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
you lucky SOB !, very few have the LUXURY of a Resident QUALITY HUNT !:mrgreen:

of coarse you may not appreciate that when your belt buckle bites your arse as your starvin , but making Hydro payment$ , on an empty freezer!:confused:

Bistchen
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm with you too Gunner Staal, Hiked all day in region 8 today(southern) and didn't even see a single deer. Lots of tracks in the snow though.
It doesn't feel like the rut is. On to Whitetails now.

jaeger
11-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I was out yesterday morning for a last day rifle hunt on Muleys for me in reg. 8 came across 2 Muley bucks 1 nice 3 pointer and the other one looked like it could be a 4 pointer glassed forever to no avail he was facing me straight on would not turn his head either way! I tried to get a little closer and he walked off over the hill never to be seen again!
I guess that is why it is called hunting and not gathering! lol

Gunner Staal
11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Ya the only sign of the rut that I could see was the little 2 points running around like married dudes in a peeler bar. Other than that she was pretty quiet. There is so much feed still available in the think underbrush the does just dont have to come out into the open. I was hunting the park today and pushed the green stuff hard but it was tough going. Hearing lots of "bound...bound...bound" as they take off 50 yards ahead of me but never to really be seen. Ah well, theres good years and bad ones. This ones just been extra bad for me...but even then their all good as long as im hunting.

mark
11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I put more time, and boot tracks, into mulie hunting than I have ever done before in region 8.
While I passed on over a dozen 4 points, even 1 late this afternoon, didnt see anything that even gave my heart a buzz.

Looks like Ill have to dust off the bow and fling some sticks!

See you guys in reg. 3

bruin
11-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Hunted Mon/Tues in Region 8 for a 2 point sighting and a few does. Pretty much wraps up my mule deer season. May get a day or two in reg 3.

coach
11-11-2010, 12:07 AM
I went for a pretty good hike today and video taped a dozen or so does with only a couple of spike bucks chasing them around. Regardless, I'll be counting the days till bow season and I'm nowhere near giving up. If the snow falls as predicted, we could still have some great hunting ahead of us.

OutWest
11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Thought we were going to be kicking ourselves for passing up a number of decent bucks throughout the season. Sunday was the last day we could get out for mulies in Region 8 due to work. I videoed my friend shoot a beauty that should score between 160-170.

Tenaka
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Passing up less than 4x4's is not unsuccessful year. Getting out is all that counts. That's why it is called huntin and not shootin. Good season all around. You can still fill your freezer - it's just going to take some more gas to get there. Heading to region 4 in the morning for the last weekend of their mule season. Wear good boots - the southern Kootneys makes the Park look like a soccer field.

JDR
11-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Like Mark, I put in a lot of time and hiked a ton. I tried a new area this year and saw lots of smaller bucks and passed on several 4x4's, looking for Mr. Big. Also saw quite a number of large 3x2's, which was somewhat alarming. Not sure I'll go back next year. Getting snow late this year didn't help. I also saw a lot of cattle up high still which had me wondering when they were supposed to be off the range. Anybody know???

I did find Mr. Big's honey hole, but he wasn't around when I was there. Here's some pics of his rubs and his bed (it's the largest I've ever seen), which I found on the last day. For reference, my rifle is 42.5 inches long.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsrub.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsrubs.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsbed.jpg

palmer
11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I did not see many mulies at all this year. I did management to get a decent buck (gross 166/ net 161) but this was the only decent mulie to be seen. On the bright side lots of moose this year.Bring on the whitetails

MattB
11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Hunted the 10th and saw 8 bucks, 4 of which were 4 points. One of the 4 points was a 165-170" buck but not what I was looking for. After getting into a better position to look at that buck I saw a 175-180" 4x4 that had really deep back forks with weak fronts so I passed on him too. Got some video of both bucks which was nice because it fits a lot easier into my freezer full of elk and sheep. :D

nano
11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
The only bucksI saw were in the back of a guys pick up. Oh well mabe next year!

Brizz
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Feel free to PM me where you guys have seen all these 4x4 that you've passed up!!! I've seen about 100 doe's and very few legal bucks and am getting desperate to put some meat under the seat.

OutWest
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Like Mark, I put in a lot of time and hiked a ton. I tried a new area this year and saw lots of smaller bucks and passed on several 4x4's, looking for Mr. Big. Also saw quite a number of large 3x2's, which was somewhat alarming. Not sure I'll go back next year. Getting snow late this year didn't help. I also saw a lot of cattle up high still which had me wondering when they were supposed to be off the range. Anybody know???

I did find Mr. Big's honey hole, but he wasn't around when I was there. Here's some pics of his rubs and his bed (it's the largest I've ever seen), which I found on the last day. For reference, my rifle is 42.5 inches long.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsrub.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsrubs.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/Muleybuck/Hunting%202010/MrBigsbed.jpg

We saw a 3x2 last Saturday that had a mainframe as big as the 160-170 4x4 we shot on the Sunday. Lots of video of him chasing the does around. He was real heavy too.