PDA

View Full Version : Weight of arrows

RoscoeP
11-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Well I bought the Chek-Mate bow today and now need some arrows. The bow measured at 48 lbs at my draw length. I will need arrows about 29.5-30 inches long measured from nock to end of arrow without tip. I want to get carbon arrows with feathers. What would be a good setup. The ones I shot today were Easton 600 6.4 gpi. I think they had 125 gr. field tips on them. They were abit short also.
Is there an ideal weight based on the bows pull or is it based on length of arrow or both? The bow came with extra 60 lb. limbs but I won't be using them any time soon. If say there were 3 arrow weights in the ball park for the lighter limbs(45) I would probably get the mid weight.
Also what about the tip weight and type, right now targets and 3D only.
Appreciate any help with this, thanks again. Cheers Ross

Awishanew
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
A good rule of thumb is to shoot the heviest weight of arrow that will shoot out of your bow well. You can get either aluminum or brass inserts to up the weight. Also you should shoot a cut on inpact broadhead. You can get various weights of those. Try look up OL Adcock on how to bare shaft tune your bow. Once you get your feild tips flying great you can switch to broadheads. Remember never shoot a broadhead tipped with a bare shaft. I personaly shoot arrows about 530 grains and my bow is 47#. Hope this helps.

Bow Walker
11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Just my opinion, but...

The heavier arrows also fly better than the lighter ones. I found that out through trial and error. "Weight forward" is a good thing as well. Helps stabilize the arrow and aids in penetration too.

A good cut-on-contact broadhead (for traditional bows) is this one...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/100-stinger2blade.jpg

A good replaceable blade head is this one...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Magnum_100gr.jpg

The above heads come in various weights, but I'd suggest that you start with the 125 grain heads.

The Hermit
11-13-2010, 01:34 AM
I shoot a Chek-Mate Crusader at 55 lb. I'm going to be trying the Darkhorse Archery shafts in two different spines, the 500 and the 400's. I'll let you know which one flies best for me in a week or so.

I'll be loading them up with heavy brass inserts, 125gr points, and probably a length of poly rope inside to get the weight up there as these will be hunting arrows.

Bow Walker
11-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Bill, I've been testing the .500's. They're a bit light for the 60 b draw weight of my hunting bow, but they fly great out of my 45 lb longbow. Yours, being heavier than mine, might benefit more from the stiffer spine of the .400's. Just a thought.

If you're going to be putting all that heavy stuff in and on the arrows I think you'll need the stiffer spine.

M@B
11-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Also the heavier weight forward will affect the "spine" of the arrow(heavier tips will weaken your spine, the lighter you go the stronger the spine will be)
make sure they are properly spined for your bow and you will have a far more accurate bow.

I'm shooting PSE X-weave 200 carbon arrows with a 100grain head out of my 55lbs recurve. Seems to be a good match.

RoscoeP
11-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I picked up 6 Beeman Hunter 500 arrows yesterday and took them out for a test today. Had the place to myself. I started with 100 gr. field tips and tried some 125's. They both flew pretty good but I think the 100's were better. After some practice went out and did 2/3 's of the 3-D range and still have all my arrows. Just started last Sunday in Traditional and havn't shot anything in 20+ years. I was pretty happy with my shooting today, keep telling myself,"pick a spot", also downhills are tricky. Also if there is say a pond behind the target and no backstop= less confident. Good backstop = good shot. Turkey shoot tomorrow and I feel more confident about not making a total fool of myself. Hate to say it but this is more fun than my guns. Anyways thanks for all the tips etc. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
11-14-2010, 11:02 AM
It IS addictive isn't it?

RoscoeP
11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Well I went to the turkey shoot today. I did not shoot as good as I did yesterday(first shoot jitters) I guess, and I did no warm up on targets. I lost one arrow and broke one but I had a great time! And I did win a turkey(bye draw) I think half the people there got one, good deal. I think I need lots more work on my form, same anchor point mostly, oh and those tricky downhill shots. Cheers Roscoe ps. I also met some more really nice people.

The Hermit
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Bill, I've been testing the .500's. They're a bit light for the 60 b draw weight of my hunting bow, but they fly great out of my 45 lb longbow. Yours, being heavier than mine, might benefit more from the stiffer spine of the .400's. Just a thought.

If you're going to be putting all that heavy stuff in and on the arrows I think you'll need the stiffer spine.

Dano - is your hunting bow, referenced above, a compound or trade bow?

oldtimer
11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Well for 3D and Target I like as light as possible so if I misjudge yardage at least I am close. I try to get as close as possible to 5 grains per pound but with my draw length it is very hard so I am usually about 6 grains per pound.
Hunting arrows I also like to keep them light for basically the same reason but at least with hunting you have the advantage of the Range Finder. Mike

Stéphane
11-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Man, I'm reading this post and I can't wait to get my new bow. I was at the shooting range 3 times in the last 4 days. So, where did you get your bow?

As for being addictive, I get that too.

Congrats on your purchase and improvements.

Stéphane

Bow Walker
11-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Dano - is your hunting bow, referenced above, a compound or trade bow?
My hunting bow is a compound and my 3D bow is a compound as well. Right now I'm just playing with my Longbow - nothing serious.

The Hermit
11-15-2010, 01:00 AM
My hunting bow is a compound and my 3D bow is a compound as well. Right now I'm just playing with my Longbow - nothing serious.

I could be wrong about this but me tinks that a compound of equal draw weight requires a stiffer spine than a tradbow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bow Walker
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I think you're right about that Bill, but have a look at the specs for the .500's before you get too excited about them. I think you'll find that the slightly stiffer and heavier .400's will work and fly a lot better out of you Checkmate, especially since you're going to insert all the stuff to make the arrow heavier anyway.