PDA

View Full Version : Too many predators??? PG area??

emerson
11-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I was out in this morning for several hours and saw nothing but two fresh moose hides (GOS closed on Nov.5??) and lots of what looked like coyote tracks. There was a skiff of snow and there were 2-4 sets of parallel tracks on several of the side roads. The roads were 5+km apart. Am I just a poor hunter? Are the deer hiding? Are there less than there should be? What do those who have spent many years at this think?

fester
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I just moved to PG last year and find it hard to hunt here. I think there are lots of animals but I don't know where!!
I was out monday and saw lots of yote tracks

The Dawg
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I have noticed that in 4 years of hunting here that there are moose areas, and deer areas.

In one area I hunt, between my friends and I, we have harvested 3 bulls in 3 years. During these hunts and every one after, we did not see ONE deer. Lots of moose.

In another we hunt, we have harvested a few deer. And moose.

So there are deer around PG. You just need to know where to look :)

ape
11-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Pressure pressure pressure. In all the ares around town the pressure is tremendous and thus seeing animals at this time of year is sometimes hard. The further out you go the better, then get out and walk even further then you will start to see more and more animals. Keep looking you will find some honey holes and then you will be in business.

moosinaround
11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
There are no deer around PG anymore. You have to go to Merrit or Clearwater to get deer!!:wink: Moosin

swampdonkey
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
no deer in merritt either:-D

swampthing
11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I am fairly new to PG as well and I hate the deer hunting here. Being from kamloops , I am a spot and stalk hunter. PG hasnt got much of that to offer. I did see a big rutted up 3 point today. He ran across foothills rd at the concrete plant. There are moose, but I aint much into moose huntin. Muleys only, whities are for the yanks.

sawmill
11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I just moved to PG last year and find it hard to hunt here. I think there are lots of animals but I don't know where!!
I was out monday and saw lots of yote tracks

I moved away 30 years ago and I see lots of Elk,Deer tracks.Too many "predaters" up there.:mrgreen:

killman
11-10-2010, 07:59 PM
My usual hunting area is being ransacked by wolves right now. Not a single track of anything other than what appears to be a pack of 12 or so. My cousin had them Howling around him last evening. He said it sound like there was 50 of them.

emerson
11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I certainly have room to improve; but it's nice to know I'm not the only one having trouble getting eyes on.

3kills
11-11-2010, 10:06 AM
There are no deer around PG anymore. You have to go to Merrit or Clearwater to get deer!!:wink: Moosin

now now mike u know there is no deer in merritt they are in clearwater and kamloops i also heard little fort was pretty good

jml11
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Pressure pressure pressure. In all the ares around town the pressure is tremendous and thus seeing animals at this time of year is sometimes hard. The further out you go the better, then get out and walk even further then you will start to see more and more animals. Keep looking you will find some honey holes and then you will be in business.

Some of the best opportunities for deer are actually quite close to town...and in come cases right in town...if you are a bow hunter you can hunt areas with NO pressure and plenty of deer.

GoatGuy
11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Some of the best opportunities for deer are actually quite close to town...and in come cases right in town...if you are a bow hunter you can hunt areas with NO pressure and plenty of deer.

Got a pic of a nice dead town deer just the other day.

jml11
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Got a pic of a nice dead town deer just the other day.

Seen a few photos of monster mulies taken right in town and as I posted on HBC a couple springs ago, I have a set of 220" NT Muley Sheds also found right in town on the edge of HWY 97 right of way. Some nice whietys running around on Cranbrook Hill too.

GoatGuy
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Seen a few photos of monster mulies taken right in town and as I posted on HBC a couple springs ago, I have a set of 220" NT Muley Sheds also found right in town on the edge of HWY 97 right of way. Some nice whietys running around on Cranbrook Hill too.

Sounds like a lot more fun than chasing the local women around there.

hunterlaura
11-13-2010, 01:50 PM
try the bobtail FSR. we always see animals when we are out there. great fishing lakes too.