PDA

View Full Version : Another trail cam question...

BCHunterFSJ
11-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a Moultrie trail cam. Recently, most of the night time pics are coming out totally black. What gives? (batteries are fresh, otherwise works fine).
Ideas would be appreciated...

Cyrus
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a Moultrie as well. Try setting it up in a dark hallway and walk by it to see if the flash is working. There may be a setting where you have to change the flash to automatic. Mine takes better videos than photos as I find the photos are quite grainy. I have a Primos cam which take far better pics. Video mode on mine at night is just pitch dark.

gbear
11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I am finding the same thing with one of my moultrie cameras. The last 10 days, all the night pictures are black. I am thinking my camera is worn out. It has done me well and taken well over 15,000 pictures.

OutWest
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Go with Reconyx and you won't have any problems ;)

moose2
11-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I was reading reviews on those cameras tonight. That seemed to be a common problem. It did sound like most of them were being replaced by moultrie. It might be worth checking into.
MIKE

boxhitch
11-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Moultrie has several factory refurbished models available at the online store. Must be simple fixes if they can be done and then resold.

Alpine85
11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I got a few out right now, guess i'll find out soon also.

bigwhiteys
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey you guys with Moultrie cams... Did they ever fix the crappy plastic mounting tabs?

I broke mine the first day I put it out, trying to tighten the strap, the buckle broke... shit I thought... No problems, I'll just tie the ends together. It worked as a temporary fix...

Come back to check the cam, and the plastic mounting tab has broke off... The cam is hanging on it's side, with 1 tab left holding it up.

Call Moultrie (cam was less than 6 months old - 1 year warranty) and they refused to warranty the camera. They won't warranty plastic... :confused: The ENTIRE camera is made of plastic...

So I've been using this cam, with no way to mount it so Jerry riggin' it everywhere and now today the OTHER plastic tab broke. Now I can't mount it to anything but a tripod, yeah, like I want a thief taking my cool tripod too... I might just lay it flat on the ground in the middle of the deer trail, if I see nuts I'll know it's a buck.

Not too happy with Moultrie.

Carl

The Hermit
11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a couple SpyPoint units on sale. Check the Sponsors forum...

Alpine85
11-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey you guys with Moultrie cams... Did they ever fix the crappy plastic mounting tabs?

I broke mine the first day I put it out, trying to tighten the strap, the buckle broke... shit I thought... No problems, I'll just tie the ends together. It worked as a temporary fix...

Come back to check the cam, and the plastic mounting tab has broke off... The cam is hanging on it's side, with 1 tab left holding it up.

Call Moultrie (cam was less than 6 months old - 1 year warranty) and they refused to warranty the camera. They won't warranty plastic... :confused: The ENTIRE camera is made of plastic...

So I've been using this cam, with no way to mount it so Jerry riggin' it everywhere and now today the OTHER plastic tab broke. Now I can't mount it to anything but a tripod, yeah, like I want a thief taking my cool tripod too... I might just lay it flat on the ground in the middle of the deer trail, if I see nuts I'll know it's a buck.

Carl

Carl, not sure if you have anyone who could spend 10 mins and weld for yah. I thought of taking those pegs for climbing into treestands, weld some quarter inch bolts on the tips. You could then screw them into the tree, then thread your trail cam onto the bolts. It could be easyier for adjusting then using stupid straps etc.

Clint_S
11-12-2010, 05:34 PM
If you know of an aluminum welder I made this housing out of a couple scraps he had and then he welded it for $20

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/misc/camera.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Carl

Are those mounting tabs part of the rear housing??
I had a bear nail mine last yr. Cam was only 10 days old. Stealthcam send me a new rear housing for free.:)..and I even offered to pay. I could have used the screw in mount like Alpine 85 mentioned but that housing was no longer waterproof as is was cracked right through.
Surpized Moultrie wouldn't send you a new one? Even if you had to pay a few bucks it would be worth it as plastic is cheap.

SSS

bigwhiteys
11-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Are those mounting tabs part of the rear housing??

The entire housing of the camera is 1 piece molded plastic. The mounting tabs are actually part of the unit housing. Thin plastic CRAP!.

Surpized Moultrie wouldn't send you a new one? Even if you had to pay a few bucks it would be worth it as plastic is cheap.

After I publish the full review on my own website, Moultrie is going to wish they sent me a new camera :)

Carl

boxhitch
11-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Never trust the tabs alone, they are only positioners. Run the strap or strings around the face of the camera, wrapping around completely, nothing should be obstructed.
it makes positioning a little tough, as the laser control is inside, but once you know the aim and setting, tie it on hard.