PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on bows for kids?

luckynuts
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Looking for some advice on Getting the kids into archery.

I started when I was around 8 and competed in recurve competitions until my early teens. Then went to the training wheels for hunting. my question is I still have one of my very first bows a Kings pawn recurve that has a 25# pull. Would you start your kids off with a recurve knowing they would be hunting with a compound when they got strong enough to handle the minimum weight requirements or would you just go ahead and take the plunge for the compound. Compound bows have evolved so much since I have had one. there was no trigger releases and other gadets like peep sights and such. Plus I haven't shot one since the 1993

Is there a site that sells used stuff as the boys will eventually out grow them which would be great if I could hand them down from oldest to youngest but I have a righty and a lefty. Thanks for any advice.

W.

Kirby
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I started with the 25# recurve as well when I was 4 or 5, if you got it use it. No reason to go to wheels right off, just start him throwing arrows and get addicted to it. Wheels can come later.

Kirby

Bow Walker
11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Starting them off on traditional archery gear teaches them about good shooting form at the outset. The good form will help them tremendously when (and if) they go to compound gear.

Don't expect (or demand) too much in the way of good form or accuracy from your kids until they are old enough to understand that good form is the foundation to good accuracy, and until they want to practice/use good form.

luckynuts
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advice pretty much what I thought except wasn't sure on the form thing. With the new shooting systems available I wasn't sure if they should learn an instinctive anchor point or just get going with a trigger system.

Having been trying to make time to drop in to our local archery range "Totem" though between work and hockey has been tuff. The boys were giventhose cheap fiberglass bows while visiting their grandma's farm this year and shot the crap out of everything so I'm not worried that they will get bored:-D

W.

greybark
11-10-2010, 09:38 PM
:wink: Hey LN , Make sure your kids bows (recurve) is not too long for them . Most shops sell a bow that when drawn by a youngster does not energize the limbs due too being too long . This results in poor arrow speed and far more misses which takes away some of the enjoyment and a sense of accomplishment .
Cheers

The Hermit
11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I highly recommend the Mathews Genesis Bow for beginners, of all ages but especially kids. The draw weight can be set from 11 - 20 pounds and the action accommodates any draw length. So you and your wife and kids can all shoot the exact same bow without any adjustment. And they come in a bunch of colors that screams "come shoot me" awesome bows.

http://mathewsinc.com/content/uploads/2010/10/Genesis_red1-249x575.png

The National Archery in the Schools Program uses this bow as THE standard for over a million kids shooting in their programs.

Site Sponsor - Hardcore Archery sells them!! And they are not expensive either!

Bowzone_Mikey
11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
every kid I have ever known in Archery got started on a recurve ..... teaches good form and establishes a great foundation for whatever platform or disapline they want to shoot later

Bow Walker
11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
What he and I said.....

The Hermit
11-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Yeah well that was until Mathews came out with the Genesis! LOL You shoot fingers, no sights, off a little rest, and it is still all about form. Its the NEW and better way to learn, and on a bow that the kids really really dig! Old farts.... pftttt! LOL

Bow Walker
11-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Bill, Bill, Bill. Mikey is younger than you! Tried and true will always "git 'er dun".

Bowzone_Mikey
11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah well that was until Mathews came out with the Genesis! LOL You shoot fingers, no sights, off a little rest, and it is still all about form. Its the NEW and better way to learn, and on a bow that the kids really really dig! Old farts.... pftttt! LOL

Who the heck are ya callin old!!!!!!!

the Genny is pretty cool concept that is for sure ... and is a great second bow for kids .... as it has no draw specifics or letoff ...
But in my opinion a decent Olympic style recurve is still the way to go with kids ...

Granted my opinion is from a mid 30s guy that just loves the sport ...

The Hermit
11-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Some times old farts aren't old chronologically, and old guys are hip! <razzz> Next time I'll say "troglodyte" then! Just for fun... http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/troglodyte.htm Snarf!

Nothing wrong with a trad bow for starters. In fact, I picked up a sweet custom longbow from Marc at Chek-Mate for Franko's son last Christmas. BUT IMHO the Genesis will hook the kids faster than the stick and string cause it LOOKS so cool, has vibrant kids colors, and shoots like a hot damn!

Bow Walker
11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Troglodyte seems to have emerged from the mists of time untouched by human evolution. Devoid of a single progressive idea and lacking the slightest awareness of social and cultural advances, Troglodyte has developed an incoherent political philosophy that he characterizes as "conservative" or "libertarian", but which could be more accurately described as "bigoted narcissism". His aggressive posturing often frightens off weaker, more timid Warriors. In pitched battle, however, Troglodyte easily loses control and his attack quickly degenerates into a rant.

Now that is sooo true. It describes a few on here right down to the ground! Myself excepted, of course...

Bow Walker
11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
The thing is - imho - it's far cheaper and easier to get youngsters into archery through the use of "lesser expensive" fiberglass recurves than it is to go out and buy a Genesis.

The kids may or may not keep up the archery. If they do, then upgrade and sell the recurve to someone else who has smaller kids. :wink:

Ruger4
11-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Fuse or Genesis or the little green recurve at Walmart for $49 :mrgreen: