PDA

View Full Version : Hunter-friendly place to stay in Castlegar?

KevinB
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
My Dad has the antlerless elk LEH for 4-08C for December, and I'm going down with him to be his meat pack-mule. We're looking for a place, maybe a small cabin, or a reasonably priced hotel that was hunter friendly. Ideally something where we can cook for ourselves. We'd normally set up the wall tent camp but we'll have limited time (about a week) and we'd rather spend that finding the elk, than setting up a camp. I had the same draw last year and it seemed to me there wasn't a great number of good spots to set up a camp, anyways.

Also for hanging quarters, if needed (hopefully not in December, but you never know) - is Legendary Meats up in Slocan Park the place to go? I know some places won't hang unless they are doing the butchering.

Thanks,

rocksteady
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
There is a couple of modest "motels" there that have kitchenette units, so you can cook for yourself and save some cash....

There is the Flamingo, just around the corner from Safeway, and there is another one right beside Tim's..I can't remember the name right now...The Palms? Oasis? Willow???Some damn thing like that, one of the Castlegar boys will be able to tell you...

Everett
11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Walked through the lobby of the super 8 with a rifle on my shoulder and a shotgun in my hand no cases and two blue heelers on a leash last year after my truck broke down outside Castlegar and nobody batted a an eye a couple kids on the elevator stared at the dogs though.

35 Whelen
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Try the Cozy Pines on the highway coming into Castlegar from Christina lake. About a kilometer outside of Castlegar. Good rates and Alberta money is at par !!!! that's what they always have on their billboard.

For a meat locker try Jake Kozianzuk at Kozy's Custom Cutting.
250-359-7718 or 359-2918. Located up at 2183 Hwy ( towards Slocan from the junction of Hwy 3A and Hwy 6

He is one of the best locally and very trustworthy. Not sure if they allow hanging only, but give him a shout and see.

Vader
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Try the Cozy Pines on the highway coming into Castlegar from Christina lake. About a kilometer outside of Castlegar. Good rates and Alberta money is at par !!!! that's what they always have on their billboard.

For a meat locker try Jake Kozianzuk at Kozy's Custom Cutting.
250-359-7718 or 359-2918. Located up at 2183 Hwy ( towards Slocan from the junction of Hwy 3A and Hwy 6

He is one of the best locally and very trustworthy. Not sure if they allow hanging only, but give him a shout and see.

Yup and high speed internet for those google moments.

swampthing
11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Cozy Pines for sure. Cant remember the owners name . He is an ex cop and into outdoor sports. You could pm smoothbor, he fishes with the guy.

smoothbor
11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Cozy pines is a goos one to stay at good rates and good people, Tjere is a new owneras the old guy i fish with just sold but the new guy is as easy going as it gets, I put all my work crews there and they like it just fine, you should phone and set up reservations, mill shut downs and consruction crews are filling the places up here is the number 250 365 5613, good luck my wife has the same draw as you guys pm me and maybe i can help you out

KevinB
11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the info - I'll give Cozy Pines a call once we figure out which week. And Kozy's when Dad gets his elk :mrgreen:

A friend and I both had the same draw last year and we both got our cows. Took a day or so to figure out the ground and what the elk were doing but we got her done.

Smoothbor your PM's aren't working...?